Author Topic: 2014 NYJ Free Agency Discussion  (Read 43810 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
2014 NYJ Free Agency Discussion
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:39 PM »
The Jets finally have money to spend, and the most intriguing player has to be Jimmy Graham. 

Who should we be watching, or who could make the biggest difference?

A Top 50 list http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents-top-50-list/

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:31:16 AM by Heismanberg »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: 2014 Free Agent watch
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
TJ Ward
Hakeem Nicks
Eric Decker
Jeremy Maclin
Jon Asamoah
Darren McFadden
Golden Tate
Donald Butler
Major Wright

I can't see Jimmy Graham getting out of New Orleans.  They will tag him. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:25:09 AM »
TJ Ward
Hakeem Nicks
Eric Decker
Jeremy Maclin
Jon Asamoah
Darren McFadden
Golden Tate
Donald Butler
Major Wright

I can't see Jimmy Graham getting out of New Orleans.  They will tag him. 

Score me 3 guys on the list and I'll be a happy camper. Obviously if Graham wriggles free, he's worth some beacoup dollars especially to us who don't really have a TE
Need a new one for a new board...

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »
I don't see Idzik as someone who's gonna unload the wallet ala Jeff Ireland as soon as he gets some money.

I think he'll make smart, mid sized moved with a larger refocus on keeping cap space available to resign our young studs going forward.  We're very much going to follow the Seattle blueprint which is build through the draft, resign guys early at a reasonable price tag, and then when everyone is more or less locked in, make a big splash. It's a brilliant strategy and a sustainable one if you can draft right. Which it appears we have recently

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
I don't see Idzik as someone who's gonna unload the wallet ala Jeff Ireland as soon as he gets some money.

I think he'll make smart, mid sized moved with a larger refocus on keeping cap space available to resign our young studs going forward.  We're very much going to follow the Seattle blueprint which is build through the draft, resign guys early at a reasonable price tag, and then when everyone is more or less locked in, make a big splash. It's a brilliant strategy and a sustainable one if you can draft right. Which it appears we have recently

This
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:53 AM »
Of our needs next year, what is the most difficult position to pick well/develop in the draft?  There's still a lot of this season left to see what we have at safety, corner and RB.  The one position that seems to be a unanimous need is WR.  TE and OLB are close behind.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:25:07 AM by bojanglesman »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Score me 3 guys on the list and I'll be a happy camper. Obviously if Graham wriggles free, he's worth some beacoup dollars especially to us who don't really have a TE

So that's how that's spelled. I've only heard it spoken.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »

bewquewee

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
Of our needs next year, what is the most difficult position to pick well/develop in the draft?  There's still a lot of this season left to see what we have at safety, corner and RB.  The one position that seems to be a unanimous need is WR.  TE and OLB are close behind.

OL still doesn't look right.

No, it isn't.

beaucoup
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
^My brain inserted the u, I didn't notice it was missing.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
OL still doesn't look right.

A rookie starting at guard has a lot to do with that.

Willie Colon is a stop-gap player, but he will likely be re-signed if he stays healthy.  I'm a fan of Austin Howard.  I think he has the ability to be a longterm starter at RT.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Jimmy Graham would be a great addition, instant impact and back in the days of Tannbum we might have made a play for him-- and sold the farm on the way- this isn't happening under Idzik.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
Seattle did spend some major money on Lynch,  Harvin,  Rice,  and Zach Miller to overhaul that offense and that shitty QB from the Packers .  With two of them costing draft picks. So the Seattle way definitely isn't too conservative

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
Some of that cap room should be used to lock up Wilkerson, and possibly re-sign Howard, Cumberland, and Colon with a slight bump in salary assuming they play well and stay healthy.  And don't forget the annual Schlauderaff contract. 

If they decide to keep Cro, they are going to have to re-do his contract.  His cap $ is almost $15 million for 2014.  I wonder if he would threaten to let them cut him and test the FA market if the Jets' offer is too low.  The market isn't good for corners, but I guess that depends on whether the Jets really lowball him.  I'm sure he'd have some motivation to stay with Rex.  He's 29 years old, but with his athletic ability he potentially could play better for a little longer than your average corner.

Depending on how Harris plays (good or bad) they may try to do something with his contract.  I don't think they'd extend him, but his salary goes down next year and they might just let him play out his contract if he plays well.  If he sucks, I think they'd just cut him and save $5 million towards the cap.  I guess its possible they could do what they did with Holmes this year if they feel he has no chance to earn his current salary in free agency.  Just cut his salary.

At one point I thought there was a tiny chance they might try to keep Holmes, but I think that ship has sailed.

We'd still have plenty of cash left for free agents, but you don't stay good by overpaying for premium talent.  Every time you overpay or make a dud draft pick, it eventually hurts the team, even if it isn't that year.  It's all about getting value for talent. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:29:46 PM by bojanglesman »

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Some of that cap room should be used to lock up Wilkerson, and possibly re-sign Howard, Cumberland, and Colon with a slight bump in salary assuming they play well and stay healthy.  And don't forget the annual Schlauderaff contract. 

If they decide to keep Cro, they are going to have to re-do his contract.  His cap $ is almost $15 million for 2014.  I wonder if he would threaten to let them cut him and test the FA market if the Jets' offer is too low.  The market isn't good for corners, but I guess that depends on whether the Jets really lowball him.  I'm sure he'd have some motivation to stay with Rex.  He's 29 years old, but with his athletic ability he potentially could play better for a little longer than your average corner.

Depending on how Harris plays (good or bad) they may try to do something with his contract.  I don't think they'd extend him, but his salary goes down next year and they might just let him play out his contract if he plays well.  If he sucks, I think they'd just cut him and save $5 million towards the cap.  I guess its possible they could do what they did with Holmes this year if they feel he has no chance to earn his current salary in free agency.  Just cut his salary.

At one point I thought there was a tiny chance they might try to keep Holmes, but I think that ship has sailed.

We'd still have plenty of cash left for free agents, but you don't stay good by overpaying for premium talent.  Every time you overpay or make a dud draft pick, it eventually hurts the team, even if it isn't that year.  It's all about getting value for talent. 

This is a nice post Jim. Addressing Cro early is extremely prudent. I don't want him testing the market or giving his agent a reason to dip his toe which will certainly be his agenda. Key for us of course will be if Cro thinks he might be on a championship caliber team within 2 years. This all goes to excrement if Rex goes but that ain't happening and if it does we are the new Raiders and Woody is Al reincarnate.

...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Tags: jets