Author Topic: 2014 NYJ Free Agency Discussion  (Read 43809 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: 2014 Free Agent watch
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
that would be pursuing financial suicide. Cro on a big money deal, Milliner as a first rounder, K-Dub as a solid nickel guy. What we need is an actual safety in the backend thats a ball-hawk.

It was discussed earlier in the thread.  Cro will either get reworked, cut or IMO traded. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
In light of today's events, maybe it would be best for us to pursue a corner in free agency instead of the draft.  I know its early, but damn.

Milliner will be given a chance to continue to develop. He had a lot of skills necessary for the NFL when he was playing in college, he just seems to have his biggest problem with playing up to the speed of the game.

Safety could definitely use an influx of talent, either through FA or the draft. Allen played admirably against NE but he's a box safety at best as a long term player. The Jets need a coverage player in that unit.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
It was discussed earlier in the thread.  Cro will either get reworked, cut or IMO traded. 

yes and Bo was talking about adding another corner.
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
In light of today's events, maybe it would be best for us to pursue a corner in free agency instead of the draft.  I know its early, but damn.

Maybe we should have a conversation with #24 about how no man is an island, at least not without a coach who knows how to make him one, and that it might behoove him to be a little more willing to compromise.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
yes and Bo was talking about adding another corner.

Yes, and you were talking about financial suicide.  I had to assume you were thinking that included Cro.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
Yes, and you were talking about financial suicide.  I had to assume you were thinking that included Cro.

Yes a renegotiated Cro, Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson and adding a big money corner in FA, even if Cro's deal drops to 5 mil per (haha yeah right...) is a terrible freaking idea and an incredible mismanagement of resources (more so than keeping Revis IMO) and it also signals the giving up on Milliner already.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Yes a renegotiated Cro, Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson and adding a big money corner in FA, even if Cro's deal drops to 5 mil per (haha yeah right...) is a terrible freaking idea and an incredible mismanagement of resources (more so than keeping Revis IMO) and it also signals the giving up on Milliner already.

Yes, IMO Cro should be traded, and then sign another CB. 

Edit:  I am probably in the minority, but I don't think Cro is all that good.  His physical attributes are legendary, but he isn't playing to them.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »

Edit:  I am probably in the minority, but I don't think Cro is all that good.  His physical attributes are legendary, but he isn't playing to them.

he's playing with an injured hip
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

We would eat a crap ton of guaranteed money on his contract.

I dont think its a realistic option in any way at all. Trading Cro would pretty much make next year another "rebuilding" year. As we would be paying him a crap ton of money, PLUS having to pay another corner.

That said if we drafted a rookie QB and got a 2nd or something for Cro wouldnt be the worst long term approach

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »

The problem is a year ago, he was exceptional. Early this year he was damn good, the last 3 weeks he has been pretty bad. Bad enough, that if it continues, he is untradeable with his current deal. Also who on the market would actually be a useful upgrade? I don't think there are any big time corners coming free.

When healthy Cro is top notch and a very useful asset. But I haven't the faintest of clues just how healthy he really is.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
The problem is a year ago, he was exceptional. Early this year he was damn good, the last 3 weeks he has been pretty bad. Bad enough, that if it continues, he is untradeable with his current deal. Also who on the market would actually be a useful upgrade? I don't think there are any big time corners coming free.

When healthy Cro is top notch and a very useful asset. But I haven't the faintest of clues just how healthy he really is.

No, the problem is that he's playing with a hip injury.  If anyone has ever had experience with that, they would understand what Cro is going through.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
No, the problem is that he's playing with a hip injury.  If anyone has ever had experience with that, they would understand what Cro is going through.

Then he should be trying to rest it, and not be a liability against the other teams top receiver.  He is even going through full practices.  It has been all season though. 

Week 1 Vincent Jackson 7 catches 150 yards
Week 2 Julian Edelman 13 catches 80 yards
Week 3 Stevie Johnson 6 catches 80 yards

Pre injury, but I am sure that all the catches weren't on him.  I don't know if it is more scheme than him, but he just isn't getting it done. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »

your right I have never gone through whatever he has. That said, we don't know how recovered he is. Is he playing at 50%? 75%? 95?% 100%?

We don't know, and it does make a difference. I assume he is probably going at about 80%, but I don't know. The staff does though. So it will be interesting to see how his play improves post bye when he will be as healthy as he will get until the offseason.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »

We were also terrorized in the run game, and a pick on corner at #2 last year.  Again, I don't know if it is scheme or him.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
Then he should be trying to rest it, and not be a liability against the other teams top receiver.  He is even going through full practices.  It has been all season though. 

Week 1 Vincent Jackson 7 catches 150 yards
Week 2 Julian Edelman 13 catches 80 yards
Week 3 Stevie Johnson 6 catches 80 yards

Pre injury, but I am sure that all the catches weren't on him.  I don't know if it is more scheme than him, but he just isn't getting it done. 

Jackson had 2 of his longer gains (particularly the last 45 yarder or whatever it was with Landry covering him.

Cro has never had the skillset to matchup well with edelman types.

Hate to break it to you but holding a #1 WR to 80 yards is a pretty solid day if your name isn't Darrelle Revis (when coached by Rex Ryan)

Tags: jets