Author Topic: 2014 NYJ Free Agency Discussion  (Read 43809 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: 2014 Free Agent watch
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
This is a nice post Jim. Addressing Cro early is extremely prudent. I don't want him testing the market or giving his agent a reason to dip his toe which will certainly be his agenda. Key for us of course will be if Cro thinks he might be on a championship caliber team within 2 years. This all goes to excrement if Rex goes but that ain't happening and if it does we are the new Raiders and Woody is Al reincarnate.

Thanks.  Oddly enough, I think we may have more leverage against Cro because of what happened with Revis this year.  Teams are realizing it isn't smart to pump so much money into that position.  That's why the corner market went down so much last year with the obvious outlier being Revis' deal.  Plus Cro doesn't have the disdain for the ownership that Revis had, so I think he'd want to stay here, especially if this team continues to show progress. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
Revis has absolutely fucked the franchise tag for the position, I believe the next highest paid corner is Champ Bailey and he makes less than $10M.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
Some of that cap room should be used to lock up Wilkerson, and possibly re-sign Howard, Cumberland, and Colon with a slight bump in salary assuming they play well and stay healthy.  And don't forget the annual Schlauderaff contract. 

If they decide to keep Cro, they are going to have to re-do his contract.  His cap $ is almost $15 million for 2014.  I wonder if he would try to test the FA market if the Jets' offer is low.  The market isn't good for corners, but I guess that depends on whether the Jets really lowball him.  I'm sure he'd have some motivation to stay with Rex.  He's 29 years old, but with his athletic ability he potentially play better for a little longer than your average corner.

At one point I thought there was a tiny chance they might try to keep Holmes, but I think that ship has sailed.

We'd still have plenty of cash left for free agents, but you don't stay good by overpaying for premium talent.  Every time you overpay or make a dud draft pick, it eventually hurts the team, even if it isn't that year.  It's all about getting value for talent.

Wilkerson is a must, IMO.  6 year contract if possible, and front loaded.  That way we can sign the rest of the DL when it is their turn.   Obviously, assumes they progress as we all hope.  Howard is the another must, IMO.  He should come relatively cheap for a 4-5 year contract with low guarantees.  Instead of Colon, I would prefer to go after the guard from Kansas City, Jon Asamoah.  This would give us a really young top notch offensive line for 4 years.  Ferguson and Mangold are under contract until 2017.

Cromartie is a huge question mark for me, and I feel we have a ton of options.  He is a competent #1 CB when he is at the top of his game, but what is the fall off if we went after a Alterraun Verner/Sam Shields in free agency.  It probably won't be a popular thought, but exploring a trade with Cromartie could be the best option.  He is due a $5 million dollar roster bonus, so it would have to be done quickly (prior to free agency), and might have to over pay for one of the free agent CB's.   Even if we only got a 3rd rounder, we will have a competent CB and another draft pick in a loaded draft, and we stay at the same financial obligation.

Edit:  I don't understand how Cromartie can test free agency, or are you talking about 2015?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:03:43 PM by hawk »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Thanks.  Oddly enough, I think we may have more leverage against Cro because of what happened with Revis this year.  Teams are realizing it isn't smart to pump so much money into that position.  That's why the corner market went down so much last year with the obvious outlier being Revis' deal.  Plus Cro doesn't have the disdain for the ownership that Revis had, so I think he'd want to stay here, especially if this team continues to show progress. 

Honestly the disdain was for Tanny. If anything Woody had enough of Revis' s agents bullshit.

Anyway good post above, I agree with most of it. I think Harris is playing a position that is similar to CB in value. Mlb/Ilb is a dime a dozen position. Overpaying him the way the Jets are is insane. Getting rid of his contract, Holmes and Sanchez is of paramount importance to get the cap into a more healthy place. The marquee position on the defense is Olb or De depending on the alignment. The Jets need one Olb, if they find that this defense has lights out potential. I am not sure one will be available in free agency.

Offensively, Idzik has to bring in a bunch of playmakers and also continue to upgrade the oline where possible. The oline still leaves a lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:07:00 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Revis has absolutely fucked the franchise tag for the position, I believe the next highest paid corner is Champ Bailey and he makes less than $10M.
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/cornerback/

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »

Edit:  I don't understand how Cromartie can test free agency, or are you talking about 2015?

He can't unless the Jets cut him.  They aren't going to let his cap # stay at $15 million for 2014 either.  They'd cut him before that.  Basically they will try to hash out a new deal and if Cro and his agent feel like they can get a better deal on the FA market, they could turn down the deal and let the Jets cut him.  Then he'd be a free agent in 2014.  I can't see any way the Jets keep him here in 2014 on his current deal.  My best guess is that they'll work out a deal.  He wants to keep playing for the Jets and I don't see another team that would knock his socks off with a huge offer after the Revis fiasco. 

We also have the rest of this year to see how Cro will fit as the #1 corner in the mold of what this defense will be for years to come.  If he consistently gets toasted for the rest of the year, who knows......

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Antonio%20Cromartie&Position=CB&Team=Jets
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:21:08 PM by bojanglesman »

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
He can't unless the Jets cut him.  They aren't going to let his cap # stay at $15 million for 2014 either.  They'd cut him before that.  Basically they will try to hash out a new deal and if Cro and his agent feel like they can get a better deal on the FA market, they could turn down the deal and let the Jets cut him.  Then he'd be a free agent in 2014.  I can't see any way the Jets keep him here in 2014 on his current deal.  My best guess is that they'll work out a deal.  He wants to keep playing for the Jets and I don't see another team that would knock his socks off with a huge offer after the Revis fiasco. 

We also have the rest of this year to see how Cro will fit as the #1 corner in the mold of what this defense will be for years to come.  If he consistently gets toasted for the rest of the year, who knows......

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Antonio%20Cromartie&Position=CB&Team=Jets

Gotcha.  I see you edited your original post about threatening to get cut now.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »
Gotcha.  I see you edited your original post about threatening to get cut now.

Yeah, my brain is a solid, but slower model.

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
Of our needs next year, what is the most difficult position to pick well/develop in the draft?  There's still a lot of this season left to see what we have at safety, corner and RB.  The one position that seems to be a unanimous need is WR.  TE and OLB are close behind.

Add safety to that list.

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
Honestly the disdain was for Tanny. If anything Woody had enough of Revis' s agents bullshit.

Anyway good post above, I agree with most of it. I think Harris is playing a position that is similar to CB in value. Mlb/Ilb is a dime a dozen position. Overpaying him the way the Jets are is insane. Getting rid of his contract, Holmes and Sanchez is of paramount importance to get the cap into a more healthy place. The marquee position on the defense is Olb or De depending on the alignment. The Jets need one Olb, if they find that this defense has lights out potential. I am not sure one will be available in free agency.

Offensively, Idzik has to bring in a bunch of playmakers and also continue to upgrade the oline where possible.
The oline still leaves a lot to be desired.

Funny enough I was thinking if we can upgrade the O line before our marquee players ( Nicky & Brick) start to fall off the standard they have set.
I hate saying this because I love Father DeBrick but I've seen him loss a wee brick or two in that wall this season.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »

No.

Brandon Carr and Jonathan Joseph make about 10 mil a year

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
No.

Brandon Carr and Jonathan Joseph make about 10 mil a year

Badger posted the link. Champ is the second highest paid CB after Revis, and he makes just over $10M. So, er, yes.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
In light of today's events, maybe it would be best for us to pursue a corner in free agency instead of the draft.  I know its early, but damn.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
In light of today's events, maybe it would be best for us to pursue a corner in free agency instead of the draft.  I know its early, but damn.

that would be pursuing financial suicide. Cro on a big money deal, Milliner as a first rounder, K-Dub as a solid nickel guy. What we need is an actual safety in the backend thats a ball-hawk.

In FA we need offensive weapons. We have zillions of dollars, a legit RG and a weapon of some kind. We need to draft a weapon and spend money on one. I'm not saying have a Tanny offseason where we blow all our money, but we need a legit weapon next year, and if we sign somebody and then draft one in the first/2nd round it will go a long ways towards fixing our offense.
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
A rookie starting at guard has a lot to do with that.

Willie Colon is a stop-gap player, but he will likely be re-signed if he stays healthy.  I'm a fan of Austin Howard.  I think he has the ability to be a longterm starter at RT.

Howard and Colon have proven serviceable. I would not be upset if the Jets brought someone in to replace or at least compete with Howard but I don't think it's the top priority on the OLine either. Someone should be brought in to at least compete with Colon unless Campbell or Schlauderaff take some major steps forward.

I saw some rumors that the Jets were about to start talking to Wilkerson about an extension which would be a great place to put some of that FA money.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: jets