Author Topic: Jets Big Board 2024  (Read 2105 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Jets Big Board 2024
« on: April 06, 2024, 11:14:25 AM »
It's time.  Rank em in order of who you'd take.

1. Caleb Williams
2. Marvin Harrison, Jr.
3. Joe Alt
4. Malik Nabers
5. Rome Odunze
6. Taliese Fuaga
7. Troy Fautanu
8. Brock Bowers
9. Brian Thomas Jr.
10. Olumuyiwa Fashanu

Caleb Williams is going 1 overall, just on the list to be complete.

I think Nabers is better than Odunze, I think Odunze might be a better fit with the Jets.

Alt may not end up being the best tackle in this draft, but I'd rather have Alt since he has the highest floor for the Jets.   

Fuaga and Fautanu are close.  I think Fuaga is better but less versatile position-wise.  That might matter for the Jets.

I honestly don't know what to do with Bowers.  He could be great but I don't know if I trust the Jets to use him properly.  Boom or bust for me and I'd rather not go down that road with the Jets again.

I think Brian Thomas could be a sneaky good pick for the Jets if we trade back a little.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:17:49 AM by bojanglesman »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Jets Big Board 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 12:38:02 PM »
Bowers would be a very safe pick

His positional value is just not great at 10

I would have Graham Barton ranked a lot higher if true interior OL had more value
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 12:59:56 PM »
My list would look a lot like that. But my Bowers opinion fluctuates almost daily.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 09:08:14 AM »
My biggest fear (and likely outcome bc that's what this team does to me) is we take Bowers at 10 when the likes of Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Odunze are still sitting there. To me, that would be criminal.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:03:09 PM »
Subject to change in next 90 seconds:

1) Joe Alt
2) C. Williams
3) MHJ
4) J. Daniels
5) Fuaga
6) Odunze
7) Nabers
8) D. Maye
9) Fashanu
10) Bowers

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 04:09:01 PM »
Subject to change in next 90 seconds:

1) Joe Alt
2) C. Williams
3) MHJ
4) J. Daniels
5) Fuaga
6) Odunze
7) Nabers
8) D. Maye
9) Fashanu
10) Bowers

Like some Joe Alt, huh? 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 04:23:39 PM »
1. Maserati Marv Harrison Jr.
2. Malik the freak Nabers
3. Joe Alt
4. Rome Odunze
5. Troy Fautanu
6. Olu Fashanu
7. JC Latham
8. Taliese Fuaga
9. Brian Thomas Jr.
10. Amarius Mims

To be clear, I want to trade to 5. Give me MHJ or Nabers, make this offense unguardable. Load up on OL in the mid rounds to find some more pieces who can play.

freak while we are at it, use one of the last few restructure moves to get space to add a safety and or vet OL like a Donovan smith.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 10:24:38 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 05:27:16 PM »
My biggest fear (and likely outcome bc that's what this team does to me) is we take Bowers at 10 when the likes of Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Odunze are still sitting there. To me, that would be criminal.

Taking Bowers over a second-tier OT is a perfectly acceptable move

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 07:24:25 PM »

IF bowers is an all pro. If Bowers is an above average TE, he is not worth the same as an average starter at tackle.

Bowers is a YAC machine against college kids. I don’t think he will be against NFL dudes. When he isn’t bigger/stronger than everyone trying to tackle him any more, what does he do that’s special? I am certainly not a big film guy who understands the nuances of TE play, but I don’t see a blocker who can win against SEC DL regularly, which means he will have a harder time in the pros. I don’t see a dude who makes tough contested grabs the way Odunze does. I don’t see a dude who is going to be a freakazoid athlete even at the nfl level like Nabers. I don’t see a technician on route running and releases like MHJ and I don’t see a guy who is very good at boxing out defenders like a lot of the best TEs ever were, like Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates were.

So aside from running around slower/smaller dudes in college, what does he do that is special? I would love someone to teach me what it is that I am not looking at to show me why Bowers is definitely going to be the first round TE that is actually a stud and not a guy who was just a better athlete than college players but isn’t actually a stud at the “TE things” that make TEs truly special.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 08:09:32 PM »
IF bowers is an all pro. If Bowers is an above average TE, he is not worth the same as an average starter at tackle.

Bowers is a YAC machine against college kids. I don’t think he will be against NFL dudes. When he isn’t bigger/stronger than everyone trying to tackle him any more, what does he do that’s special? I am certainly not a big film guy who understands the nuances of TE play, but I don’t see a blocker who can win against SEC DL regularly, which means he will have a harder time in the pros. I don’t see a dude who makes tough contested grabs the way Odunze does. I don’t see a dude who is going to be a freakazoid athlete even at the nfl level like Nabers. I don’t see a technician on route running and releases like MHJ and I don’t see a guy who is very good at boxing out defenders like a lot of the best TEs ever were, like Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates were.

So aside from running around slower/smaller dudes in college, what does he do that is special? I would love someone to teach me what it is that I am not looking at to show me why Bowers is definitely going to be the first round TE that is actually a stud and not a guy who was just a better athlete than college players but isn’t actually a stud at the “TE things” that make TEs truly special.

Obviously on the positional value, but you're taking the swing that he is an all-pro TE given using a top 10 pick on him. Plenty of tackles taken high have busted, including even ones seen as high level. OL gets taken a lot more than TE but has a similar if not higher bust rate than TE, it's not some guarantee that anyone we take at 10 at OL will be any good just because they're a good prospect.

I haven't looked into this class that much, I'm just going on the consensus. But I don't think it's fair to knock him for not dominating as a blocker against the SEC but then give him no credit as a receiver and say that he can't win using his speed/size in the NFL given the SEC is the best conference in CFB by far, and he has been the most dominant TE in history playing in that conference.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 08:59:58 PM »
Obviously on the positional value, but you're taking the swing that he is an all-pro TE given using a top 10 pick on him. Plenty of tackles taken high have busted, including even ones seen as high level. OL gets taken a lot more than TE but has a similar if not higher bust rate than TE, it's not some guarantee that anyone we take at 10 at OL will be any good just because they're a good prospect.

I haven't looked into this class that much, I'm just going on the consensus. But I don't think it's fair to knock him for not dominating as a blocker against the SEC but then give him no credit as a receiver and say that he can't win using his speed/size in the NFL given the SEC is the best conference in CFB by far, and he has been the most dominant TE in history playing in that conference.

Whomever we take at ten, we clearly think they have elite / all pro potential.

My point is, if the guy is just an average player, the OT or WR is far more valuable than a TE. Hell if  they all become all pros, the OT and WR is worth far more valuable than the TE.

The only way Bowers ends up a good pick, is if he is an All Pro, and ends up the better player by miles than other guys we realistically could have taken. I just do NOT think that will be the result

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 09:07:13 PM »
Here’s my question about Oduzne:

Is he an inconsistent separator?  He catches so many contested footballs.

He does remind me a lot of Davante Adams though.  Elite tracking and jump ball ability.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 09:40:38 PM »
Whomever we take at ten, we clearly think they have elite / all pro potential.

My point is, if the guy is just an average player, the OT or WR is far more valuable than a TE. Hell if  they all become all pros, the OT and WR is worth far more valuable than the TE.

The only way Bowers ends up a good pick, is if he is an All Pro, and ends up the better player by miles than other guys we realistically could have taken. I just do NOT think that will be the result

I don't disagree. But we're in a position where drafting for upside is way more valuable with this team's window than drafting for downside risk. If they think Bowers can be All-Pro good the +EV is significantly more than drafting a 2nd tier tackle.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 08:49:06 AM »

Not with the lack of depth we have at OT and the age of our starters. A TE won't mean excrement if Rodgers dies again.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 08:51:05 AM »
Not with the lack of depth we have at OT and the age of our starters. A TE won't mean excrement if Rodgers dies again.

Yeah, this is my main concern.

WR or TE won’t be nearly as effective without Rodgers.

BUT, an elite wideout will take a player out of the box…

Tags: