Author Topic: Jets Big Board 2024  (Read 2094 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: Jets Big Board 2024
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2024, 04:21:53 PM »
adding another post stating that drafting OT at 10 is not only a move for 2025, but actually an all-in move for 2024 as well.

If not one of those guys, then take a potential game changer at WR to lighten up the box like heis said.

When i think of a matchup nightmare at TE who helped lighten his QB’s load substantially, i think of a prime gronk. I used to sit there wondering how we would stop this guy. Faster than our LBs, too big for our safeties. I actually thought adams held up with him somewhat well early on before he became a hoo-ha.

Will bowers be that guy? I don’t know. I would bet probably not, but teams don’t expend top 10 picks to find that guy. If not a WR, and guys like Olu, Fuaga, or Fautanu are there at 10, we have to take them over the tight end.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:33 AM »
If we weren't in this win-now window, I'd be more inclined to take the chance on a curiosity like Bowers. I won't flip if he's our pick, but I think it's not the right move.

A top-5 TE or a top-10 WR isn't making Tyrod a top-10 QB. A healthy Aaron Rodgers can put Wilson and Williams in the top-10 receiving.

Keeping Rodgers healthy is the absolute priority. As long as there's a tackle there he has to be the pick. If not, the next best move is a trade down for more ammo to get more OL throughout the draft. If none of the above work out, go with a WR. If somehow even that doesn't work out for us, then go ahead and take Bowers.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2024, 08:25:56 AM »
Do any of the tackles even start for us if everyone's healthy? I'm going to guess that barring a stellar camp any draft pick is starting the season as a backup. Obviously the chances of a backup being needed are pretty high, but if you're really looking to make a difference this season then a pass catcher is the pick, not a tackle. Of all the potential picks we can make at #10, Bowers is probably the player most likely to be starting week 1. I think you take Bowers because we're in a win-now window.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »
Do any of the tackles even start for us if everyone's healthy? I'm going to guess that barring a stellar camp any draft pick is starting the season as a backup. Obviously the chances of a backup being needed are pretty high, but if you're really looking to make a difference this season then a pass catcher is the pick, not a tackle. Of all the potential picks we can make at #10, Bowers is probably the player most likely to be starting week 1. I think you take Bowers because we're in a win-now window.

If you're in win-now mode, Aaron Rodgers needs to stay upright and protected.  I don't trust Tyron Smith or AVT to stay healthy for a full season.  Build the wall.

You can still get a good pass-catching weapon in the 3rd round with how deep the WR class is this year.

We're fine at TE with Conklin and Ruckert.

EDIT: I like Bowers as a prospect, but he's a luxury pick for us.  We really can't afford to burn a top 10 pick on the TE position.  Further to that point, our current OC didn't figure out that our HB1 could catch out of the backfield until 2/3 of the way through the season last year....i wouldn't trust him to put Bowers in a position to succeed anyway.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:46:14 AM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2024, 08:44:06 AM »
He's definitely not Jace Amaro.

He was the best offensive player on the best team in college football.  That says a lot.  However, he plays a position that can be found outside of the first.  Most of the elite tight ends in the NFL weren't first rounders.  Can't say that about the top wideouts or offensive tackles.

EXACTLY THIS ^^^

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2024, 08:46:00 AM »
Do any of the tackles even start for us if everyone's healthy?

Fautanu could start at left guard over John Simpson
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2024, 09:09:10 AM »

Even a WR would probably start the season as WR3.  Bowers has the best chance to play the most.  I don't know if that makes it the right decision.  Certainly the argument can be made for Bowers, a WR or an OT.  To me, there's one problem (besides QB) that's been staring us in the face for a while.  OL play. 

The ideal move to me would be to trade back to the mid 1st round and get the best OT they can get in that range, who would be allowed a year (or less) to be groomed for one of the tackle spots in 2025.  Hopefully we get a 2nd round pick to use on the best WR in that range, then go BPA after that.  I feel like I'd rather have 2 good players that can be developed than have 1 shot at a better player and only a 3rd rounder to get the other.  Especially with OL, I think there isn't a huge difference between the top 2 or 3 OL and the next 2 or 3 OL.  Especially if they won't be starting the season anyway.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2024, 10:17:31 AM »
If you're in win-now mode, Aaron Rodgers needs to stay upright and protected.  I don't trust Tyron Smith or AVT to stay healthy for a full season.  Build the wall.

You can still get a good pass-catching weapon in the 3rd round with how deep the WR class is this year.

EDIT: I like Bowers as a prospect, but he's a luxury pick for us.  We really can't afford to burn a top 10 pick on the TE position.  Further to that point, our current OC didn't figure out that our HB1 could catch out of the backfield until 2/3 of the way through the season last year....i wouldn't trust him to put Bowers in a position to succeed anyway.

This is exactly my point. It's completely negligent to assume that all 5 guys currently slated to start on OL will be the guys who play 17-20 games this year.

Aaron Rodgers will have Garrett and/or Williams in the top-10 receivers. Garrett and Williams plus Bowers don't make Tyrod a top-10 QB.

Again, I won't flip if it's Bowers or one of the top WR. As long as it's not a defensive player. But offensive linemen, whether at 10, moving up, or moving back are the best draftees for us right now.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2024, 10:19:28 AM »

I think it makes more sense to land the WR in round 1 and hope to get the insurance policy/future starter OL on day 2. But it all depends how the board plays out.

I have no interest in Bowers unless the top 3 WR and top 2 OL are gone. And even then I'd hope someone wants to trade up to 10 instead of seeing us take Bowers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:24:46 AM by Badger »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2024, 12:00:51 PM »
This is exactly my point. It's completely negligent to assume that all 5 guys currently slated to start on OL will be the guys who play 17-20 games this year.

Aaron Rodgers will have Garrett and/or Williams in the top-10 receivers. Garrett and Williams plus Bowers don't make Tyrod a top-10 QB.

Again, I won't flip if it's Bowers or one of the top WR. As long as it's not a defensive player. But offensive linemen, whether at 10, moving up, or moving back are the best draftees for us right now.

I don't disagree that a tackle is the safer choice, but in terms of the most talented roster you can put on the field in week 1, Bowers probably provides the biggest upgrade if everyone is healthy. Of course it means taking a huge gamble that our 85 year old tackles can stay healthy for 17+ games, but that would be pretty on brand for Douglas.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »
I don't disagree that a tackle is the safer choice, but in terms of the most talented roster you can put on the field in week 1, Bowers probably provides the biggest upgrade if everyone is healthy. Of course it means taking a huge gamble that our 85 year old tackles can stay healthy for 17+ games, but that would be pretty on brand for Douglas.

Agreed on all counts though I'd lean towards one of the WRs over Bowers if we're going the playmaker route

If you could guarantee me everyone would stay healthy from Labor Day to the end of the Super Bowl, then I'd probably take Bowers just because he (over)fills a position we're weak at even with healthy starters

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2024, 01:03:36 PM »
We are weaker at wide receiver than tight end. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 01:44:10 PM »
I am fine with OT or WR, but would lean slightly more OT bc there is not a chance in hell that our starting OL make it through a 17 game season. If that were a wager, I'd bet the farm. Can't count on Carter Warren to fill in when Smith or Moses gets hurt.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 01:57:09 PM »
We are weaker at wide receiver than tight end. 

correct

Also...Troy Fautanu should be given serious consideration.  Most of our starting oline are injury risks, and he can step in at Guard or Tackle. That oline absolutely cannot disintegrate like it did in 2023.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 02:00:52 PM »
correct

Also...Troy Fautanu should be given serious consideration.  Most of our starting oline are injury risks, and he can step in at Guard or Tackle. That oline absolutely cannot disintegrate like it did in 2023.

Just mentally prepare yourself for Bowers, so it'll hurt less when we pick him at 10. You might need a new TV as well, so start shopping...

Tags: