Author Topic: Jets Big Board 2024  (Read 2096 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Jets Big Board 2024
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 11:01:01 AM »
I still think we can get some more depth on the OL in free agency.  I just don't know if much will happen on that front until after the draft.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 11:38:22 AM »
Not with the lack of depth we have at OT and the age of our starters. A TE won't mean excrement if Rodgers dies again.

I think with the current state of the OL, yes injuries will happen but assuming 4 starters will die per year is dumb. It is potentially not the best use of resources given we're in win now mode.

There's a pretty strong argument that even assuming the top WRs are off the board, Bowers offers a second weapon that we do not have right now and is a much more significant upgrade over what is existing than a second-tier OL would be and as such offers a lot more value.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 12:04:47 PM »
I think with the current state of the OL, yes injuries will happen but assuming 4 starters will die per year is dumb. It is potentially not the best use of resources given we're in win now mode.

There's a pretty strong argument that even assuming the top WRs are off the board, Bowers offers a second weapon that we do not have right now and is a much more significant upgrade over what is existing than a second-tier OL would be and as such offers a lot more value.

effective OL players don't grow on trees and rarely become available in FA....TEs do.  And our OL depth has stunk for over a decade.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 12:05:20 PM »
I still think we can get some more depth on the OL in free agency.  I just don't know if much will happen on that front until after the draft.

I can list a couple names without even checking the list that will be available after the draft that could help our line depth.

Donovan Smith - not a good player, but the dude just started on a SB winning chiefs team. He can play and be a depth piece. Point is the dude can play at a capable level for a few games this season while Tyron sits down.

Connor McGovern - versatile interior depth who cost us 1.5 million a year ago

Cam Flemming - I don’t know as much about him, but he has starting experience

David Bahktiari - no one wants him as a starter, but him joining us in camp (health pending) feels inevitable this year.

To get our 3rd tackle and 4th interior OL, we don’t need to spend a top ten pick.
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2024, 12:06:44 PM »
Yeah, this is my main concern.

WR or TE won’t be nearly as effective without Rodgers.

BUT, an elite wideout will take a player out of the box…

You know a excrement ton more about football than I do, but I don’t think drafting Bowers to play him inline does this for us, does it?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 12:10:14 PM »
Not with the lack of depth we have at OT and the age of our starters. A TE won't mean excrement if Rodgers dies again.
We all would like to add more depth at OT.

I just disagree that we have to address depth with a top-10 pick. We can draft a 3rd-round OT. We can sign Bakhtiari. We can do one of those things and try to develop Carter Warren.

Meanwhile, our pass catchers are Garrett Wilson, Mike Williams coming off an ACL, and a bunch of JAGs. I like Williams, but I think coming off an ACL, he's more of a WR3 than a WR2. They need another pass catcher badly. Breece is great, but you don't build a passing game around throwing to a running back. And what if GW misses any time?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »
I can list a couple names without even checking the list that will be available after the draft that could help our line depth.

Donovan Smith - not a good player, but the dude just started on a SB winning chiefs team. He can play and be a depth piece. Point is the dude can play at a capable level for a few games this season while Tyron sits down. 

David Bahktiari - no one wants him as a starter, but him joining us in camp (health pending) feels inevitable this year.

To get our 3rd tackle and 4th interior OL, we don’t need to spend a top ten pick.

I wonder if Bakhtiari is willing to come back knowing he's a backup.  That's a bitter pill for a Pro Bowler near the end.  I wonder if he waits until Tyron goes down and then signs here to avoid camp and all that stuff.  Basically we keep him on speed dial.  Gives him some more time to heal up as well.

I think McGovern would be a good signing.

I think Donovan Smith will hold out a little longer to see if a starting job is open after the draft or through injury.  I could see him waiting until a job opens up like Bakhtiari.  If those guys pick a team now, they are forcing themselves to be reliant on that specific team's starter getting injured.  If they wait, they can sign with any of 32 teams that may have an injury.  But waiting has risks too. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 12:14:01 PM »

Exactly.

The argument for OT in the 1st round is that we don't have anyone under contract in 2025. I get that argument, and that's why I won't be upset if we go OT at 10.

But in terms of 2024 depth, there are guys out there that can provide it.

It's the same argument as the Will McDonald pick. I didn't mind the McDonald pick because I thought you could never have enough edge rushers, Huff was a FA and Lawson was a bust. McDonald pick was planning long-term. That's what an OT pick would be doing. I don't think you can justify picking an OT over Odunze. Bowers vs an OT is a fair debate.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 01:00:01 PM »
Exactly.

The argument for OT in the 1st round is that we don't have anyone under contract in 2025. I get that argument, and that's why I won't be upset if we go OT at 10.

But in terms of 2024 depth, there are guys out there that can provide it.

It's the same argument as the Will McDonald pick. I didn't mind the McDonald pick because I thought you could never have enough edge rushers, Huff was a FA and Lawson was a bust. McDonald pick was planning long-term. That's what an OT pick would be doing. I don't think you can justify picking an OT over Odunze. Bowers vs an OT is a fair debate.

"Depth" is the short term label bc the goal is that the OT you pick at 10 would be the starter for the next 10 years. This is a more important issue to solve than TE1.

I would be fine with a WR at 10 as well. I just don't want Bowers (but am mentally preparing myself for the Jets to take him...and have him be the next Jace Amaro)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 01:57:30 PM »
Not many players play for the same team for 10 years anymore, that isn't a realistic goalmfor any draft pick.  Making it to a second contract with us is the goal.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 01:59:02 PM »
Not many players play for the same team for 10 years anymore, that isn't a realistic goalmfor any draft pick.  Making it to a second contract with us is the goal.

Hell with most of our first round picks the past decade we have been lucky if they see the end of their first contract.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2024, 02:00:40 PM »
I just don't want Bowers (but am mentally preparing myself for the Jets to take him...and have him be the next Jace Amaro)

He's definitely not Jace Amaro.

He was the best offensive player on the best team in college football.  That says a lot.  However, he plays a position that can be found outside of the first.  Most of the elite tight ends in the NFL weren't first rounders.  Can't say that about the top wideouts or offensive tackles.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2024, 02:13:55 PM »
He's definitely not Jace Amaro.

He was the best offensive player on the best team in college football.  That says a lot.  However, he plays a position that can be found outside of the first.  Most of the elite tight ends in the NFL weren't first rounders.  Can't say that about the top wideouts or offensive tackles.

I'm still scarred from the Kyle Brady pick at 9th overall.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2024, 02:20:20 PM »
I'm still scarred from the Kyle Brady pick at 9th overall.

The funniest thing about that pick is that everyone wanted a defensive lineman instead.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2024, 02:25:39 PM »
We've traded three Defensive Rookies of the Year.  That has to be a record.

Hugh Douglas, Jonathan Vilma, and Sheldon Richardson

Tags: