Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66497 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
We already know Woody meddles with personnel decisions and reacts to fan vibes.

But what about the Positive Vibes Only t-shirts?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
But you do because you've been wanting to fire everyone this year. 

well duh.  Of course i care when you're losing...i wouldn't if we were winning.

Also, are you suggesting we should do something other than start Rodgers?  Whether he's 40 and coming injury doesn't matter anymore unless you are planning to sign a good FA QB to compete with him this year, which no one is or should be suggesting.  The only thing they need to do is sign a competent veteran QB as his backup in hopes they could keep us afloat if we are still in the hunt.  He's our best option, and worrying about what happens to him doesn't matter because everyone is fucked if he gets hurt.

Rodgers is here, there's no going back now. What i'm saying is...we all thought it was a great move (except for a few folks, hi Cato), but perhaps the minority was correct.

Trying to have some optimism for this team year in and year out is getting more difficult as i get older.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.

I'll attend the tailgate next fall if we're all wearing these for it.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Hard-hitting journalism

Very cool that the beat actively undermines the team though.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

well duh.  Of course i care when you're losing...i wouldn't if we were winning.

Rodgers is here, there's no going back now. What i'm saying is...we all thought it was a great move (except for a few folks, hi Cato), but perhaps the minority was correct.

The minority isn't correct unless it becomes apparent we'd have been better off NOT getting Rodgers. And that seems like a hard conclusion to draw based on this year's on-field product.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau

The minority isn't correct unless it becomes apparent we'd have been better off NOT getting Rodgers. And that seems like a hard conclusion to draw based on this year's on-field product.
They were better off taking a swing at Rodgers than signing Derek Carr.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

It's difficult to look at what we got this season and still say it was the better option, given that Rodgers was the reason we hired Hackett, signed Boyle, Turner, Lazard, and Cobb, are short a second round pick in this year's draft, and are going into next season with a 40 yo QB coming off of a major leg injury.

Signing Carr would have cost us less in every aspect. The gamble isn't worth it just because you took the excrement. Shitting the bed is not better than not shitting the bed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 11:49:12 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE

No QB would be successful behind our patchwork offensive line.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
A healthy Carr probably gets us to the playoffs.  Our defense would've carried us far enough. 

The problem is I don't think many QBs would stay up with our lack of protection.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
It's difficult to look at what we got this season and still say it was the better option, given that Rodgers was the reason we hired Hackett, signed Turner, Lazard, and Cobb, are short a second round pick in this year's draft, and are going into next season with a 40 yo QB coming off of a major leg injury.

Signing Carr would have cost us less in every aspect. The gamble isn't worth it just because you took the excrement. Shitting the bed is not better than not shitting the bed.
Yes but where would we be with Derek Carr? We are probably still the clear #3 in the division. Probably get a wild card given how down the AFC was. Of course, that assumes he stays healthy, and if Rodgers had stayed healthy, we wouldn't be having this convo.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
I'll go a step further: If Rosenblatt and Russi's depiction of Saleh's personality behind the scenes is correct than it really doesn't matter which route we went. Unless Saleh found an OC who could basically be the head coach of half of the team this season was screwed and the only thing we really missed out on was time and money.

Also two years of Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall while they were still affordable since I'm sure next season, Rodgers or no, is actually going to be very little of an improvement over this one.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Yes but where would we be with Derek Carr? We are probably still the clear #3 in the division. Probably get a wild card given how down the AFC was. Of course, that assumes he stays healthy, and if Rodgers had stayed healthy, we wouldn't be having this convo.

All other things being equal, the OLine would have doomed either Carr or Rodgers from the beginning, Rodgers especially. You said it yourself after week 1: if he got hurt 4 plays into the season then there was no way he was staying healthy for the whole thing even if he escaped it on that play. Especially given that that was what the CS thought would be the starting OLine for the season.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
We went into the season with recovering players at both tackle spots and one of the guard spots.  It was a recipe for disaster.

Moving on from Becton and Brown at least gives us a shot at something different.  Running it back just can't happen this time.

If our solution to one tackle spot is trading for or signing David Bakhtiari then we absolutely know who is calling the shots. 

Their jobs are on the line.  They have to do whatever it takes to fix this mess.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
We went into the season with recovering players at both tackle spots and one of the guard spots.  It was a recipe for disaster.

Moving on from Becton and Brown at least gives us a shot at something different.  Running it back just can't happen this time.

If our solution to one tackle spot is trading for or signing David Bakhtiari then we absolutely know who is calling the shots. 

Their jobs are on the line.  They have to do whatever it takes to fix this mess.

Their jobs are almost certainly gone after this season which makes me worried that they are going to do some stupid excrement, e.g.: trade for Bakhtiari and Adams or add some void years onto contracts we should never extend like with Uzomah, Mosely, and Tomlinson.

Whoever has the reigns in 2025 is going to have a nice hole to dig themselves out of.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Assuming we were even Carr's #1 choice.

Tags: