Author Topic: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023  (Read 27258 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
Just my limited viewing experience but it seems like RBs are going to struggle like freak in the XFL. Cards are definitely stacked against them

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
I only watched the Guardians game. 1 and oh baby! Look out!

McGloin looked like a guy with real NFL experience playing against lesser talent. Aaron Murray was awful. There's no way Flowers shouldn't be starting for TB.

The Guardians unis are fire.
The Viper unis are a dumpster fire. The jersey isn't bad, but that helmet looks awful.

I bought a hoodie for myself and one for the wife because the color scheme is sick. Hoodies looked very sleek and if its between 45 for a hoodie or 40 for a toque sideline hat, I'll take the hoodie.

Murray had no time to throw, but looked really bad even with a clean pocket. The interception in the red-zone set the tone for the entire game.

Considering Vince owns every team, and the future is completely undetermined, it'll be interesting if the Vipers continue to look horrible offensively if Trestman would feel any sort of pressure. I think even if they have a terrible year he'll be kept on for continuity/name recognition.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »
I bought a hoodie for myself and one for the wife because the color scheme is sick. Hoodies looked very sleek and if its between 45 for a hoodie or 40 for a toque sideline hat, I'll take the hoodie.

Murray had no time to throw, but looked really bad even with a clean pocket. The interception in the red-zone set the tone for the entire game.

Considering Vince owns every team, and the future is completely undetermined, it'll be interesting if the Vipers continue to look horrible offensively if Trestman would feel any sort of pressure. I think even if they have a terrible year he'll be kept on for continuity/name recognition.

Murray was awful. He made bad throws to compound his bad decisions. He just didn't look like he belonged. Flowers looked far better, even though he only threw a couple of times. Dual-threat QBs could be a real weapon in this league.

I would think Vince has to be seeking other investors if this thing takes off. I don't see how, even with TV revenue, he can afford to sustain an entire league with 17k attendance by himself.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2020, 12:00:36 PM »
Apart from kickoffs, I also really like the shortened play clock coupled with the in-helmet speakers for both the QB and the skill players.

I like that the clock stops in the last 2 minutes as soon as the play is dead, regardless of in or out of bounds. "Comeback period" should be fun.

I'm iffy about the 1 foot in-bounds catch rule. I really like the skill needed at the pro level to drag that second foot's toe.

I want to see things like punts out of bounds and the various point-after attempts before I judge them. I lean towards unconvinced right now.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
Only took one game, but we already have a firing. How odd.

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/wildcats-fire-dc-pepper-johnson-after-1-game/

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
Difficult for me to get into these things because I don’t have a rooting interest. I suppose I could get into the local team but I just don’t care about them there’s no emotional attachment for me. Same reason I barely watch games outside of the Jets these days.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2020, 06:38:04 PM »
Difficult for me to get into these things because I don’t have a rooting interest. I suppose I could get into the local team but I just don’t care about them there’s no emotional attachment for me. Same reason I barely watch games outside of the Jets these days.

Well it has a short season, and it's a new product. So at least for me I've found it easy to just turn on and watch whoever the hell is playing, not giving a excrement about anyone winning or losing jsut wanting football.

And it helps that the weather is shitty as hell and this is essentially the worst time of year for sports. I'd even go a step further saying the XFL is probably more enjoyable by not having a team. That way you can just throw on a game whenever it fits with your schedule and just watch some football

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm already a Guardians fan.

If it were still football season, or the XFL didn't start until baseball season had already started, I'd probably be less enthusiastic. But this immediately follows the Super Bowl and begins before pitchers and catchers even report. I'm in.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »

Conversely, since I have no rooting interest, I'm able to get more into the rule changes and start enjoying more of the pieces of the game that the NFL has gotten away from, like meaningful returns.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »
https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/28672076/inside-new-york-guardians-debut-most-important-game-ever-played

Great article from Cimini.

I already have my Guardians hoodie so I'm in. But I think we all agree like...it'd be fun to see whoever we wind up developing a rooting interest for take this thing down, but it would never be the same compared to any of our other favorite teams in any other league.

But still, very encouraging first weekend on a lot of levels.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »
I will be rooting for whatever team eventually employs Jets legend Greg Dortch
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
Quintin Flowers will be starting for the Vipers this weekend, Aaron Murray out with an ankle injury.

Seattle is expecting 30,000 people for the game. Wow. If they draw HALF of that, it's gotta be considered a success.

Much to my chagrin, Guardians tookies are still sold out.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2020, 02:39:58 PM »
Same old Guardians.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
This league needs better QBs.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »
This league needs better QBs.

P.J. Walker on Houston looks good so far.

I like the helmets too, a nod to the old Oilers.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Tags: