Author Topic: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023  (Read 27261 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
I still haven't figured out d sw0rdz.

i am blacker than everybody here except for bojangles, who is actually black

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »
i am blacker than everybody here except for bojangles, who is actually black

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »
So as much as I think Florio is a blithering idiot, he made the point that given the XFL's rousing success in the St. Louis market, and the lack of attendance in LA, they should move the Wildcats to Oakland.

It's honestly not a terrible idea. He also brought up moving the NY team to San Diego, but I think its a mistake for three reasons.

1. You still want a franchise in the biggest media market in the country.

2. I think considering the attendance for the first game as opposed to the second, we don't know yet whether thats a definite downward trend, or just a situation where a bunch of people saw the weather last Saturday and said, "lol, nope." A friend of mine who's a veteran of multiple Giants games called it the coldest game he ever went too (fwiw, the coldest game I ever went to and its not even close was the playoff clincher in 09 against Cincy).

3. Whereas St. Louis and Oakland were viable cities who's franchises were essentially robbed from them (definitely the case in St. Louis, debatable in Oakland) over the NFL not even caring about any sort of stadium deal but just wanting their teams in the LA/Vegas market, San Diego was never a good football market. Even in the halcyon days of Marty and LT they struggled to draw.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
So as much as I think Florio is a blithering idiot, he made the point that given the XFL's rousing success in the St. Louis market, and the lack of attendance in LA, they should move the Wildcats to Oakland.

It's honestly not a terrible idea. He also brought up moving the NY team to San Diego, but I think its a mistake for three reasons.

1. You still want a franchise in the biggest media market in the country.

2. I think considering the attendance for the first game as opposed to the second, we don't know yet whether thats a definite downward trend, or just a situation where a bunch of people saw the weather last Saturday and said, "lol, nope." A friend of mine who's a veteran of multiple Giants games called it the coldest game he ever went too (fwiw, the coldest game I ever went to and its not even close was the playoff clincher in 09 against Cincy).

3. Whereas St. Louis and Oakland were viable cities who's franchises were essentially robbed from them (definitely the case in St. Louis, debatable in Oakland) over the NFL not even caring about any sort of stadium deal but just wanting their teams in the LA/Vegas market, San Diego was never a good football market. Even in the halcyon days of Marty and LT they struggled to draw.

Agreed. LA doesn't give a excrement about pro football, not even the NFL. You're going to compete in the spring with Lakers and Clippers playoffs and the Dodgers? No. Definitely keep a team in NY, MetLife gives them an NFL stadium, even if they just use the lower tier it gives the league some credibility. I do enjoy how they use extreme close shots and avoid wide stadium shots on the telecasts.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
Agreed. LA doesn't give a excrement about pro football, not even the NFL. You're going to compete in the spring with Lakers and Clippers playoffs and the Dodgers? No. Definitely keep a team in NY, MetLife gives them an NFL stadium, even if they just use the lower tier it gives the league some credibility. I do enjoy how they use extreme close shots and avoid wide stadium shots on the telecasts.

I still think the move should be to explore trying to play games at Red Bull Arena.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
I still think the move should be to explore trying to play games at Red Bull Arena.

That might work, too. Like when Seton Hall moved from the Meadowlands cave to the Rock and used only the lower level, the atmosphere was way better.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
That might work, too. Like when Seton Hall moved from the Meadowlands cave to the Rock and used only the lower level, the atmosphere was way better.

I have a lot of love for the old Brendan Byrne arena considering the amount of good memories I have there thanks to the Devils/old school WWF/Bruce concerts/freshman year of SHU basketball under the immortal Louie Orr. 

I never realized how much of an absolute dump it was until I went back for my college graduation in 09. Whereas I still think Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium could've been renovated as opposed to building a new facility (and in the case of MetLife, completely downgrading), that place really did need to be demolished.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
I have a lot of love for the old Brendan Byrne arena considering the amount of good memories I have there thanks to the Devils/old school WWF/Bruce concerts/freshman year of SHU basketball under the immortal Louie Orr. 

I never realized how much of an absolute dump it was until I went back for my college graduation in 09. Whereas I still think Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium could've been renovated as opposed to building a new facility (and in the case of MetLife, completely downgrading), that place really did need to be demolished.

Did they finally knock it down? It was just in the way between that mall and the parking garage. Ironically the last time I was ever there was the same night Bon Jovi was opening the Rock, we went to see Van Halen with David Lee Roth at the old arena.

I have mixed feelings, it needed to go and the Rock is way better. That said, the greatest night of my sports fan life was at the old arena when the Devils won the Cup in 1995. Drove up from Maryland for the game and managed to get in.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:23:56 AM by Italian Seafood »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
I think the bigger mistake they made was their start date. You go from watching Garoppolo and Mahomes duke it out to the very next weekend watching McGloin vs Murray? I think they should have let things rest for a few weeks post SB and then fire up as people are starting to get interested for the draft.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2020, 10:36:36 AM »
Did they finally knock it down? It was just in the way between that mall and the parking garage. Ironically the last time I was ever there was the same night Bon Jovi was opening the Rock, we went to see Van Halen with David Lee Roth at the old arena.

I have mixed feelings, it needed to go and the Rock is way better. That said, the greatest night of my sports fan life was at the old arena when the Devils won the Cup in 1995. Drove up from Maryland for the game and managed to get in.

<3 <3 <3 what a turn of events that entire series was when you consider the Devils were big underdogs going in. Eat it Bowman.

The Rock is now what, 13 years old? Still looks as pristine and modern as the day it opened. Just a great facility and great place to enjoy a game.

I think the bigger mistake they made was their start date. You go from watching Garoppolo and Mahomes duke it out to the very next weekend watching McGloin vs Murray? I think they should have let things rest for a few weeks post SB and then fire up as people are starting to get interested for the draft.

True story. Let the Super Bowl hangover breathe for a week or two and give people some time without football so they clamor for it again. I do get their reluctance to want to push their season too far out though, come May you're competing with too many things going on (NHL/NBA playoffs and baseball being in full swing at that point).

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Have to disagree there. In the past, leagues have let a few weeks go by and people forget all about football. While you're in the mode of looking for a game every week, I think jumping right in was a good idea. The quality isn't going to be NFL post season no matter when they start it but it's a hell of a lot better than the combine, what a snoozefest.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
<3 <3 <3 what a turn of events that entire series was when you consider the Devils were big underdogs going in. Eat it Bowman.

East and west didn't play each other that year because of the lockout, so a lot of those predictions were guesswork. Game 3 was on a Thursday night and we got a big lead, my friend called me during that game to come up for Game 4 on Saturday. What a great night, that's going to be hard to top.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »

Presumably the issue there is the main reason for players to play in the XFL is to get onto an NFL team

So if the season started around the draft, that would complicate matters.

Having the season end the weekend of the draft, basically allows its players to try to catch on with nfl teams

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »
The USFL played into July and guys still caught on with NFL teams. Reggie White and Jim Kelly among them, if you're good you'll get on a team.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2020, 11:26:03 PM »
White was making more Money in the USFL than he would have, and did at first, in the NFL. Plus he got to play at home.

Kelly was a 1st rounder in the NFL already, but made more money in the USFL too.

I get your point, but you chose 2 bad examples from a league that tried to price out the NFL.

Tags: