Author Topic: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023  (Read 27260 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: RIP XFL: Resurrection 2023
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
White was making more Money in the USFL than he would have, and did at first, in the NFL. Plus he got to play at home.

Kelly was a 1st rounder in the NFL already, but made more money in the USFL too.

I get your point, but you chose 2 bad examples from a league that tried to price out the NFL.

Yeah, it's 40 years ago. The USFL ended up that way but early on it was more like this one, except Hershel Walker being their big get. The regional draft was a big deal to a lot of the players, going back near their home cities got a bunch of guys to leave the NFL.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »
First road win for the Guardians, D line and running game was impressive at Dallas, now 3-2.

Houston is undefeated, they're at MetLife Saturday, will be interesting.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
https://awfulannouncing.com/xfl/xfl-viewership-falls-once-again-in-week-4.html

They're up against the prime of college hoops for most of March. Saturday I had the TV on while doing stuff and between the Seton Hall and Rutgers games I forgot Houston was playing. And they're the best team, one I try to make a point to see.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
Dosent help they play on different channels every week. I didnt get the game last week on tv so I've just started streaming

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
Honestly already forgot it was a thing

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
Dosent help they play on different channels every week. I didnt get the game last week on tv so I've just started streaming

It's mostly FOX/FS1 and ABC/ESPN.

Not a bad gig for these guys, every game is on national TV and you have to think every GM and coach is recording all the games. PJ Walker will be in an NFL camp.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
I accidentally remembered week 1 to watch the game, enjoyed it, and forgot every week since.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »
I've been enjoying the product.

Some games have been stinkers, some games exciting. Kind of like the NFL.

I really love the access we've been getting and I like some of the rule quirks. Put it this way-in a somewhat (thanks SHU basketball) dead sports period for me (Devils not playing for playoff contention), it's held my interest and held me over as I await tournament basketball and the beginning of baseball season.

Given the live gate at some of these cities with Seattle and St. Louis being the biggest producers, and the lack of a viable alternative in terms of programming, I don't see the networks bailing on this. And its been refreshing to see the discussion focused on the product as opposed to seeing an article a day pop up about how mismanaged it is ala the AAF.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »
The aaf was terrible, the xfl level of play has been far superior and entertaining.

The xfl has a chance to go for a few years, vince seems willing to keep his hands off it and to keep funding it.

The xfl not having their entire plan depend upon another league investing in it, despite the other league already say no, is also a good point in their favor.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2020, 08:37:04 PM »
XFL suspended

And its been floated that this could severely crippled the chances of the league surviving

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2020, 09:10:04 PM »
I would be surprised if Vince lets the XFL die a second time due to a virus, especially if this eventually blows over and there's no Thanos-level event.

They had a fairly successful first half season, there was buzz around them and they were getting more coverage on ESPN and whatnot as the season went on.

Hopefully this lets them reboot and fix what didn't work.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2020, 10:34:16 PM »
I would be surprised if Vince lets the XFL die a second time due to a virus, especially if this eventually blows over and there's no Thanos-level event.

They had a fairly successful first half season, there was buzz around them and they were getting more coverage on ESPN and whatnot as the season went on.

Hopefully this lets them reboot and fix what didn't work.

On the flip slide it absolutely fucks with their viewership watching them consistently

And if it resumes this year they'll have an insane amount of competition on TV. Most significantly they might not even be able to get on major TV networks depending on what other sports they're suddenly competing with for airtime this could catastrophically impact on the league

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2020, 10:37:10 PM »
They would have the TV to themselves this weekend. Stadiums have been empty anyway, would have worked out perfectly.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Almost fun while it lasted.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: