Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 4785 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Wonder Woman
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:45 AM »
I don't know if anyone feels this warrants its own thread, so I'll post it here and if a mod wants to move it to start a new one, feel free.

I saw Wonder Woman last night. I very much enjoyed it. I don't think it was a lot different than BvS or Suicide Squad, but there were definitely more "light" moments.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
It seems to be getting good reviews. I'm not overly enthused about watching it, although I happily will, but I have hugely enjoyed the squeals of anguish from butthurt MRAs over the women only screenings.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
It seems to be getting good reviews. I'm not overly enthused about watching it, although I happily will, but I have hugely enjoyed the squeals of anguish from butthurt MRAs over the women only screenings.

Yeah, the whole "not fair" excrement is ridiculous. I saw Joss Whedon say he attended a males-only screening so it did happen (he got to watch it alone).

I think WW was well done. I'm a DC fan to begin with, so I definitely lean fanboy, but I felt it was a movie anyone who isn't a ragey misogynist can enjoy. Even the "girl power" moments weren't preachy.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
As though all-female screenings were in any way inhibiting men's ability to see the film... but I guess it was the "principle of the matter".

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
As though all-female screenings were in any way inhibiting men's ability to see the film... but I guess it was the "principle of the matter".
As a white male, I don't get a month to celebrate me, nor my prostate.  I should probably be upset.  Oh wait, every other month is mine.  Nevermind.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
Butthurt MRAs alone make this movie worthy of its own thread.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
I just don't get how this movie is supposed to be inspiring to women as if the idea of a female super hero is something new. Never mind the fact that Wonder Woman was a TV series in the 70s and a popular comic way before that. This is the first I'm hearing about the movie being some sort of "new era" in filmmaking and Hollywood being more "inclusive". I really wish we can stop celebrating every little thing.
"Wrong!"

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
Superman starring Christopher Reeve debuted in 1978. Batman starring Michael Keaton debuted in 1989. Both had appeared in cinemas as early as the 1940s. It took until 2016 for Wonder Woman, who first debuted in comics in 1941, to appear on screen and until this year for her to lead her own film.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
The female-led action film is a fairly recent phenomenon and if women want to celebrate it, more power to them.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »
I just don't get

Could have stopped here.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
Don't remember women celebrating this

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0327554/

And she's a woman of color none the less

In all seriousness though there's far far more nerdy guys who are super hero fans and there are other movies women historically preferred to see than action

There's a reason chick flicks are called chick flicks

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
What about Blankman?  The first real superhero for the everyday black man.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »

In all seriousness though there's far far more nerdy guys who are super hero fans and there are other movies women historically preferred to see than action

https://youtu.be/rNlmRId2FVQ

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but you have a valid point, and she is DC as well.

You could argue that the movie was awful and that Catwoman was a suppoting character, and Wonder Woman is a lead, but yes, it remains a valid point.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »
Different times, my guys
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away