Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 4783 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:44:26 AM »
She will have the comic book nerds fapping themselves raw at the thought of seeing some super hero sidewall.

These here are the end of times for Dewey Crowe.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:22 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you have a valid point, and she is DC as well.

You could argue that the movie was awful and that Catwoman was a suppoting character, and Wonder Woman is a lead, but yes, it remains a valid point.
What? No. dcm has made no valid points.

The movie is being celebrated not only because it stars a female lead as the hero, but because it was directed by a woman and has been an instant critical and commercial success.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
Before Catwoman there was Supergirl, which was also excrement. Both of those movies suffered from fundamental flaws as role model movies - Catwoman was primarily marketed as "Halle Berry in a skintight suit" which is clearly not designed to appeal to women, while Supergirl was tediously wholesome.

Obviously I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but from what I read it seems like for the first time a female superhero lead has been given the kind of treatment as a rounded, interesting and powerful individual that male superheroes have been getting for the last twenty years.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:03 AM »
Before Catwoman there was Supergirl, which was also excrement. Both of those movies suffered from fundamental flaws as role model movies - Catwoman was primarily marketed as "Halle Berry in a skintight suit" which is clearly not designed to appeal to women, while Supergirl was tediously wholesome.

Obviously I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but from what I read it seems like for the first time a female superhero lead has been given the kind of treatment as a rounded, interesting and powerful individual that male superheroes have been getting for the last twenty years.

It's unrealistic that a woman would.get super powers tho.

/Tommy

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
What? No. dcm has made no valid points.

The movie is being celebrated not only because it stars a female lead as the hero, but because it was directed by a woman and has been an instant critical and commercial success.
I set the bar pretty low with him.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
Wonder Woman was the first time I've seen a female superhero get the same treatment guys do when becoming superheroes. She began the film naive, witnessed unspeakably awful human behavior, and rose to fight it.

Women are celebrating this movie because it's a female lead, a female director, and one of the incredibly few superheroes ever put on the same level as a Superman or Batman--male or female.

I'm nowhere near a SJW or anything like that. I think this movie is a significant groundbreaker for women though. Also, I read that the audience was 53% female, so there's a market to be tapped there that has long felt ignored.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
So we're just talking about Super Heroes now? How about the other movies where a woman was the main character in an action movie? The Alien aeries anyone?
"Wrong!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
So we're just talking about Super Heroes now? How about the other movies where a woman was the main character in an action movie? The Alien aeries anyone?

That's not equivalent. While there is a female lead, none were directed by a woman.

Wonder Woman is a package deal if you're wondering why women are so enthusiastic about it.

• Female lead
  • Female director
  • A rare superhero that girls had/have to "look up to" as kids

That's not to mention this was from a studio/comic publisher with a few critical flops in a row, despite having arguably the biggest names in comics as the leads. That a woman who usually comes in third to them semi-overshadowed them in their movie, then had major success on her own, is an accomplishment.

Wonder Woman is a pretty big win for women who want more from Hollywood than "chick flicks."
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
I'll wait for it to hit video. Thanks but no thanks, I am beginning to have less and less interest in super hero movies.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
I'll wait for it to hit video. Thanks but no thanks, I am beginning to have less and less interest in super hero movies.
freaking sexist

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
freaking sexist

He's waiting for the first transexual superhero.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

I think it's that man lady that threatened Koz on the train platform a few years back.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
freaking sexist

Yes yes yes

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
I refuse to watch a movie unless the cast is at least 50% PoC, 65.15% women, 79% transsexual, and 100% Puck

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »
Finally got round to watching this. It was decent enough, but I'm not sure it was the feminist tour de force that some have made it out to be.
A cross-dressing limey poofter