Author Topic: #BlackLivesMatter  (Read 354113 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: #BlackLivesMatter
« Reply #3495 on: September 19, 2020, 10:03:42 AM »
Lol let me understand this.

George Zimmerman, a hispanic layperson proves that there's systemic racism with white cops against blacks? Ok.

you are literally trying to understand/make sense of something that i did not say nor was even the point of what i was trying to make. kind of dumbfounded how you jumped from me stating that IS would rather stand up for a guy like george zimmerman than admit that blacks in this country face an extreme amount of racism and profiling to me saying 'george zimmerman proves that there's systemic racism with white cops against blacks'.

not sure how those dots connected in your head when you tried to make that discrediting post but it's kind of a shocking extrapolation. do what you gotta do though

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3496 on: September 19, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
you are literally trying to understand/make sense of something that i did not say nor was even the point of what i was trying to make. kind of dumbfounded how you jumped from me stating that IS would rather stand up for a guy like george zimmerman than admit that blacks in this country face an extreme amount of racism and profiling to me saying 'george zimmerman proves that there's systemic racism with white cops against blacks'.

not sure how those dots connected in your head when you tried to make that discrediting post but it's kind of a shocking extrapolation. do what you gotta do though

Yeah, how could I possibly extrapolate that from this sentence.

not surprised to see IS stand up for george zimmerman being an absolute pvssy rather than admit that targeted profiling and systemic racism against blacks is an actual thing.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3497 on: September 19, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »
George Zimmerman, a hispanic layperson proves that there's systemic racism with white cops against blacks? Ok.

Not that swordz needs me to argue his points for him, but "system racism" does not automatically resolve to "cops" each time.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3498 on: September 19, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
Not that swordz needs me to argue his points for him, but "system racism" does not automatically resolve to "cops" each time.

...George Zimmerman was spanish.

Let me guess now, when a spanish or asian person decides to commit harm against someone who's black, that's just an extension of white supremacy?

Absurd argument of course except its actually been made by blue check twitter douchebags and leftist academics.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3499 on: September 19, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »
...George Zimmerman was spanish.

Let me guess now, when a spanish or asian person decides to commit harm against someone who's black, that's just an extension of white supremacy?

Absurd argument of course except its actually been made by blue check twitter douchebags and leftist academics.

It might be an absurd argument, but it's not one that anyone here appears to be making.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3500 on: September 19, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Systematic racism devalues black lives.

Giving the guy who stalked a 14 year old after being told not to and then shot him the benefit of the doubt is a direct result of that devaluation.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3501 on: September 19, 2020, 11:12:21 AM »
Was George Zimmerman really Spanish or is he just tan? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3502 on: September 19, 2020, 11:12:38 AM »
Systematic racism devalues black lives.

Giving the guy who stalked a 14 year old after being told not to and then shot him the benefit of the doubt is a direct result of that devaluation.

Thank you

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3503 on: September 19, 2020, 11:15:18 AM »
Cue the "actions have consequences" retort in support of a guy who stalked a 14 year old who was not committing any crime and then shot said 14 year old who was defending himself against a freaking stalker.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #3504 on: September 19, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »

Cue the "actions have consequences" retort in support of a guy who stalked a 14 year old who was not committing any crime and then shot said 14 year old who was defending himself against a freaking stalker.

Cue putting words in my mouth when I've never once defended George Zimmerman or said anything on the subject of record aside from that he was overcharged if they wanted a conviction.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #3505 on: September 19, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
Was George Zimmerman really Spanish or is he just tan? 

Spanish people can be racist as excrement, most especially against black people, but that isn’t relevant to this conversation
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3506 on: September 21, 2020, 09:09:58 AM »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #3507 on: September 22, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
So you're on Zimmerman's side? 

big woof

I didn't take any side, just pointing out that the facts which came out a year later were vastly different than what was portrayed in the media. Having the sitting president weigh in like he did before they were known was not helpful to race relations in our country. Same with the Michael Brown case, but excrement's all burned down before anyone finds out what led to someone being shot and then it's too late.

not surprised to see IS stand up for george zimmerman being an absolute pvssy rather than admit that targeted profiling and systemic racism against blacks is an actual thing.

there is literally no pointing talking to him about this excrement anymore. 

Again, I didn't take anyone's side, the facts are what they are. Zimmerman put himself in that position by playing cop, Trayvon set himself up to be shot by physically attacking a guy with a gun, so did Michael Brown.

You guys like to read things into my comments that aren't there. If you have a gun and someone is trying to take it from you or bash your head into the ground, I kind of think the race of the individual is not a primary concern in that moment.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3508 on: September 22, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
I didn't take any side, just pointing out that the facts which came out a year later were vastly different than what was portrayed in the media.

The facts?

Zimmerman literally stalked him down the street, attempted to jump him without cause, and then got his derriere kicked.  Those are the facts. 

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #3509 on: September 22, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
Black people were systematically kept out of housing markets for a century following the end of slavery. Federal programs such as the WPA systematically and intentionally built neighborhoods to be segregated as a matter of explicit policy. This led to vast inequalities in the ways white and black families accumulated wealth. Furthermore, black neighborhoods tended to be more dense, less green, with fewer white collar jobs and more pollution. This led to the development of violent inner cities, with less economic mobility and a sense that the system had failed them compounded by more overcrowded classrooms. This was normal throughout the latter half of the 20th century. This leads to systemic poverty over the course of generations, even as public policy has become more equitable. Systemic poverty is a form of systemic racism.

These segregated cities have in turn led to less integration between white and black people, and a sense of 'othering' on both sides. This furthers implicit bias - people, including cops, including lawmakers, including black people themselves - implicitly tend to believe white people more, and think that black people are more violent. Implicit bias is unavoidable in a world with billions of people and millions of subgroups and divisions - it's a way that humans process large batches of information, and without the neurology of categorizing we would all be lost all the time. But the very denial of those biases is itself a form of systemic racism.

The fact that black people succeed in this society is not evidence of a lack of systemic racism until they succeed, proportionally, at roughly the same level as white people. In 2016, the median white family was $154,000 wealthier than the median black family.

If not for systemic racism, what accounts for that kind of number? Would your explanation be that black people are inherently worse at making money? Or do the systems that have existed in this country allow easier access for white people to have wealth?

Last but not least, 'the war on drugs' has systematically led to more black people being convicted of crimes than white people. I grew up in a mostly black neighborhood in Brooklyn. I knew, by the time I was 14, a significant number of teenagers on my block who had already been arrested for possession with intent to distribute, mostly from random 'stop and frisk' incidents. On the other hand, my high school was mostly white and Asian. People there passed around pot and pills with more frequency than I ever saw in my neighborhood. My high school class sent 47% of its graduates to Ivy league schools, including multiple kids who were caught with drugs on school grounds. This was in the 2000s, and was overt systemic racism.

I was referring primarily to the legal system, thus my examples of DA, prosecutors, etc, because that's what the conversation was. Obviously if you go back to the end of slavery you'll find all kinds of racism throughout our country, but that doesn't mean things aren't getting better over time.

Specifically I point to the progress we've made in the past generation because it concerns me to see young people taking it backwards. Things got better by not focusing on someone's race and promoting individualism. Going back to demonizing people based on race, whether it was black people in the past or white people now, that breeds resentment, creates division and isn't helpful to anyone.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.