Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 514054 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #1755 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »

It's not like this was a time-honored staple of the job. It's bullshit that they've whipped up over the last decade.

Again, it sucks but it's now part of the job. I don't see how this is any different than the dozens of other reasons why it sucks to work retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1756 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
If a business had employees that wanted to work Thanksgiving for the extra cash, then I don't have a problem with them being open.  I doubt that happens much though.  Making employees come in on Thanksgiving Day..........no way.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1757 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

When did it become a big deal?  When stores started opening on Thanksgiving just one or two years ago.  It was a closed day nationwide up until that point.  There is no reason to be open that day.

I think emergency services and utility companies are slightly more necessary than an extra day of shopping.  A sale which takes place on Thursday could just as easily take place (and used to) the day before.  As for doormen, while I have always found it hilarious that people can't open their own doors for one day, they and residential security guards generally get gifts and tips when working on the holidays.  The same isn't true for retail employees.

It's a big deal because it is killing family traditions without any option to refuse.  You might be surprised since you've said in the past you and your family can't stand more than a day or two together, but a lot of people value holidays.

It's killing family traditions for a small segment of employees in this country. Most people don't work holidays, but as unfortunate as it is, some do. I just don't see what can be done about it. These are private companies who hire at-will employees. If my boss tells me it's suddenly mandatory to work thanksgiving, what am I going to do? Should the government step in? Make it illegal to work on holidays?

"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1758 on: November 21, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
I've got a pretty low tolerance for unreasonable work requests, I never would have survived long as a retail employee. Stupidest thing I ever did was driving 3 hours from the Adirondacks at midnight to get home in Binghamton so I could go to work the day after the 4th of July at my shitty warehouse job. When I look back at it, I don't really understand why I didn't just take the next day off.

And I actually had the flexibility to had I asked for it. I can't imagine working for peanuts and being told "you're working Thanksgiving or you're fired" by some sorry store manager who's being harangued by some sorry regional manager who's under pressure from corporate to sustain the new revenue stream they dreamed up on a holiday.

klaximilian

« Reply #1759 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Basically what we can surmise from all of this is that Klas is a miserable intolerant bastard.

Haha. Actually judging by the number of annoyances posted in this thread, it's safe to say that 99% of the posters in here are more "miserable intolerant bastards" than I.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1760 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »

I've got a pretty low tolerance for unreasonable work requests, I never would have survived long as a retail employee. Stupidest thing I ever did was driving 3 hours from the Adirondacks at midnight to get home in Binghamton so I could go to work the day after the 4th of July at my shitty warehouse job. When I look back at it, I don't really understand why I didn't just take the next day off.

And I actually had the flexibility to had I asked for it. I can't imagine working for peanuts and being told "you're working Thanksgiving or you're fired" by some sorry store manager who's being harangued by some sorry regional manager who's under pressure from corporate to sustain the new revenue stream they dreamed up on a holiday.

Again, it sucks. I agree that it does, but a lot of jobs are shitty. I just don't know what people want done.

"Wrong!"

klaximilian

« Reply #1761 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
My Mom is still posting inspirational cat and coffee images all over facebook.  I'm going to block her and enjoy my trip to hell.

I did the same thing, but years ago. It's always awkward when she asks "Did you see what I posted on Facebook?"

Uh, no I haven't been on much lately. *looks away*

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1762 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Real Thanksgiving is in October anyways.  *runs away*
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1763 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
I did the same thing, but years ago. It's always awkward when she asks "Did you see what I posted on Facebook?"

Uh, no I haven't been on much lately. *looks away*

Yeah.  I wish there was a way to screen for inspirational images and just ban those.  The rest of her crap I don't mind.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:38:58 AM by bojanglesman »

klaximilian

« Reply #1764 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
1) Stores telling employees they'll be fired if they don't work on Thanksgiving.

2) People who actually shop on Thanksgiving, especially those who are assholes to the employees.

3) Stupid petitions asking me to boycott stores that are going to be open on Thanksgiving.

Bitch I feel sorry for you, but I'll sure as freak be in Target the next day.

1) It sucks, but if it bothers them so much they should quit and get a job outside of retail.

2) Personal decision to shop that day. Treating the employees like excrement is uncalled for though.

3) Yes, kindly freak off with that nonsense.

I hate Black Friday. One of my biggest annoyances is long lines, large crowds, traffic, and generally waiting around because of congestion. It's the biggest waste of time.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1765 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
Black Friday- freak you.
Cyber Monday- OK

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1766 on: November 21, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »

It's killing family traditions for a small segment of employees in this country. Most people don't work holidays, but as unfortunate as it is, some do. I just don't see what can be done about it. These are private companies who hire at-will employees. If my boss tells me it's suddenly mandatory to work thanksgiving, what am I going to do? Should the government step in? Make it illegal to work on holidays?

Lol.  Yes, clearly the logical assumption is that I feel the government should step in.

Like I said, the people who camp out and shop on Thanksgiving are a massive part of the problem and another annoyance I listed.  It's the worst shopping day, too.  Employees are treated like subhuman garbage by deal hunters.  Have you ever seen it?  It's freaking disgusting.  It was bad enough watching people be subjected to it on Black Friday.  Now on Thanksgiving?  I don't see how anyone couldn't be bothered by it (aside from you, obviously).

klaximilian

« Reply #1767 on: November 21, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Black Friday- freak you.
Cyber Monday- OK

This.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #1768 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
Haha. Actually judging by the number of annoyances posted in this thread, it's safe to say that 99% of the posters in here are more "miserable intolerant bastards" than I.

The tags say hello.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

« Reply #1769 on: November 21, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
Lol.  Yes, clearly the logical assumption is that I feel the government should step in.

Like I said, the people who camp out and shop on Thanksgiving are a massive part of the problem and another annoyance I listed.  It's the worst shopping day, too.  Employees are treated like subhuman garbage by deal hunters.  Have you ever seen it?  It's freaking disgusting.  It was bad enough watching people be subjected to it on Black Friday.  Now on Thanksgiving?  I don't see how anyone couldn't be bothered by it (aside from you, obviously).

I worked one Black Friday at Circuit City when I was 18. Worst day of my working life.