Author Topic: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 61917 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #1170 on: April 19, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »
It's not only just in case Zach busts.  This is by all accounts a pretty weak draft.  Selling picks in a weak draft for picks in a much stronger draft helps the franchise long term.  What will help Zach more in the next couple years: Travon Walker right now, or maybe Tyler Linderbaum right now and Jaxon Smith-Njigba next season? 

I'd feel very differently if we were trotting Zach out behind the 2019 line, or we had Jeff Smith and Ryan Griffin and Frank Gore as our primary pass catchers, or if we only had one pick in the top 40 to get him some more help.  But we're overloaded with draft capital this year, and it's a weak year.  It makes sense to push some into next season. 

The QB class is really the only premium position class that stinks.

This is a very strong EDGE/LB/WR class
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 02:37:18 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1171 on: April 19, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »
How does it help us be better now? How does kicking the can down the road help Zach this season?

Douglas is halfway through his contract. He's done a good job so far, but if Zach doesn't earn another contract with us then Douglas won't have one either. Parlaying high current picks into future ones just in case Zach needs to be replaced makes no sense.

I'd rather trade down to acquire picks this year.  Drop a few spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.  There just seems to be a lot of players in the same ballpark talentwise, but no real elites this year.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1172 on: April 19, 2022, 03:31:03 PM »
I'd rather trade down to acquire picks this year.  Drop a few spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.  There just seems to be a lot of players in the same ballpark talentwise, but no real elites this year.

See, people say this every year and it twists my head every time. "I don't want us to use this pick because there are no players I consider good enough to justify a pick this high, so I'd like us to trade down and get more picks later on where the players are also not so good but I get more goes" conveniently overlooks the fact that if there are actually no players good enough to justify using pick #4 or #3 or #10 or whatever it is you want rid of, then there's no reason for another team to trade up for it. In fact, if a team is willing to trade up for that pick then maybe you're wrong about the quality of player available?

Now, I know that's an oversimplification and that there may be elite players at positions we don't want or need to draft for (QB and T the obvious ones), but it's a truism that the earlier you pick, the better your chances of getting an elite player. Barring someone calling us with a big offer I think I'd still much rather get Saleh and hopefully Zach the very best players we can next week, and worry about next year next year.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1173 on: April 19, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »
The QB class is really the only premium position class that stinks.

This is a very strong EDGE/LB/WR class
It's not a strong draft overall though. It's not terrible, but it lacks star power. There's a reason there are a lot more questions early in the draft than most years.

The WR class is fine, but I don't know if I'd call it "very strong." The class was better in both 2020 and 2021 on paper.

However, every team knows this, so I doubt we're the only team that feels next draft might be better.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1174 on: April 19, 2022, 03:34:14 PM »
See, people say this every year and it twists my head every time. "I don't want us to use this pick because there are no players I consider good enough to justify a pick this high, so I'd like us to trade down and get more picks later on where the players are also not so good but I get more goes" conveniently overlooks the fact that if there are actually no players good enough to justify using pick #4 or #3 or #10 or whatever it is you want rid of, then there's no reason for another team to trade up for it. In fact, if a team is willing to trade up for that pick then maybe you're wrong about the quality of player available?

Now, I know that's an oversimplification and that there may be elite players at positions we don't want or need to draft for (QB and T the obvious ones), but it's a truism that the earlier you pick, the better your chances of getting an elite player. Barring someone calling us with a big offer I think I'd still much rather get Saleh and hopefully Zach the very best players we can next week, and worry about next year next year.
Nobody conveniently overlooks that. Everyone recognizes that you need 2 teams to make a deal, and someone else has to value that pick. That's why we couldn't get down from 3 in the Quinnen draft. It's also probably why we won't be trading down this year, but it would be great if Joe could find a way.

It's not really worrying about next year as much as it's maintaining flexibility. If we can trade down from 4 or 10 and pick up a 2nd-rounder next year, that pick could then be used for AJ Brown or Deebo Samuel or some WR.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1175 on: April 19, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »

Assuming I have a trading partner, I'd rather have #16 and say #49 overall than just #10 in THIS draft.  Now, if there is 1 player left on the board that is clearly in a different zone than what's left, don't move, take the pick.  But if there are 4-5 guys still on the board of similar value to you, why not get extra players if the opportunity is there?  It's all based on Douglas' draft board.  Who knows what that is.

Of course you can't wave a wand and have a trading partner, but all that stuff is usually worked out way ahead of time with teams just in case.  I'm not saying the Jets should start calling around and offering to suck dicks for trade downs (but if it works.....?). You're right, teams do move up for QBs, and OL, and those may be the best chances we have of finding a partner.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 05:22:12 PM by bojanglesman »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1176 on: April 19, 2022, 05:36:09 PM »
Assuming I have a trading partner, I'd rather have #16 and say #49 overall than just #10 in THIS draft.  Now, if there is 1 player left on the board that is clearly in a different zone than what's left, don't move, take the pick.  But if there are 4-5 guys still on the board of similar value to you, why not get extra players if the opportunity is there?  It's all based on Douglas' draft board.  Who knows what that is.

Of course you can't wave a wand and have a trading partner, but all that stuff is usually worked out way ahead of time with teams just in case.  I'm not saying the Jets should start calling around and offering to suck dicks for trade downs (but if it works.....?). You're right, teams do move up for QBs, and OL, and those may be the best chances we have of finding a partner.

Except the choice of players at 16 will be worse than the choice of players at 10. So take the best player for the Jets at 10 and make the team as good as possible.

We already have a ton of picks and we don't need to fill out the roster with rookies because of having a bunch of elite big money players on the roster. Adding more cheap players makes more sense when you're paying your QB $40M a year, your star wideout $25M and your pass rush monster $25M, and I believe you have far more chance of getting those players by taking top talent high than by trying to draft three guys on day 2 and hoping one of them turns into an undiscovered gem.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1177 on: April 19, 2022, 05:49:46 PM »
Except the choice of players at 16 will be worse than the choice of players at 10. So take the best player for the Jets at 10 and make the team as good as possible.
Not necessarily. You only draft one player. If the Jets get to 10, and London, Williams and Wilson are all available, and they don't see a big difference in the 3, they could try to move back and get whichever one falls. Maybe they like Olave most, and they think they can move to 16 and still get him. If that's the case, then the choice of player is exactly the same at 10 and 16. You take on some risk that someone else takes him, but you're also getting a Day 2 pick for your troubles.

If you think the options at 10 and 16 are similar or the same, then the best way to make the Jets as good as possible is to move down to 16 and pick up another Day 2 pick, which you can use to get another core player, or you can use to trade up to fill a need elsewhere.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1178 on: April 19, 2022, 06:21:22 PM »
Not necessarily. You only draft one player. If the Jets get to 10, and London, Williams and Wilson are all available, and they don't see a big difference in the 3, they could try to move back and get whichever one falls. Maybe they like Olave most, and they think they can move to 16 and still get him. If that's the case, then the choice of player is exactly the same at 10 and 16. You take on some risk that someone else takes him, but you're also getting a Day 2 pick for your troubles.

If you think the options at 10 and 16 are similar or the same, then the best way to make the Jets as good as possible is to move down to 16 and pick up another Day 2 pick, which you can use to get another core player, or you can use to trade up to fill a need elsewhere.
He said it better.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1179 on: April 19, 2022, 06:43:37 PM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1180 on: April 19, 2022, 07:02:54 PM »

Except in that situation you're creating a bunch of risk of not getting the guy you actually want because someone takes him ahead of you, and all to acquire a day 2 pick which under this regime has netted us Denzel Mims, Jabari Zuniga and Ashtyn Davis. As I said, I think a team can be in a situation where what you're proposing makes sense, but I don't think we are.

Unless it's the kind of stupidly lopsided offer that can't be ignored, I think that selecting players as high as possible is the only right decision for where we are right now.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1181 on: April 19, 2022, 07:12:55 PM »
Except in that situation you're creating a bunch of risk of not getting the guy you actually want because someone takes him ahead of you, and all to acquire a day 2 pick which under this regime has netted us Denzel Mims, Jabari Zuniga and Ashtyn Davis. As I said, I think a team can be in a situation where what you're proposing makes sense, but I don't think we are.

Unless it's the kind of stupidly lopsided offer that can't be ignored, I think that selecting players as high as possible is the only right decision for where we are right now.
I just think we need to accumulate as many quality players as possible, so I will always be in favor of trading back. 1st-round picks aren't locks to succeed either.

The Mims situation was a time it backfired. As the legend goes, the Jets wanted Van Jefferson and thought they could move back and still get him, and that didn't work. Granted, it's not like Van Jefferson is some sort of star for the Rams.

We also got Demaryius Thomas (RIP), Cameron Clark (RIP) and James Morgan from that Mims trade.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1182 on: April 19, 2022, 07:40:27 PM »
How does it help us be better now? How does kicking the can down the road help Zach this season?

Douglas is halfway through his contract. He's done a good job so far, but if Zach doesn't earn another contract with us then Douglas won't have one either. Parlaying high current picks into future ones just in case Zach needs to be replaced makes no sense.

I’ve heard this narrative before and I don’t get it. If we traded 10 to say the Raiders for 86 and a 2023 1st I would agree that’s kicking the pick to next year and it’s not going to help us much today. But if we did the Vikings trade 12, 49 and a 2023 1st you could argue if we get a very good/not elite player at 4 vs 2 good to very good players at 12 and 49 that’s actually helping us more this year, and also building for next year.

We aren’t trading away 4 or 10 without also retaining a first this year, OR getting an elite player with that traded selection
Need a new one for a new board...

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1183 on: April 19, 2022, 07:41:48 PM »
I just think we need to accumulate as many quality players as possible, so I will always be in favor of trading back. 1st-round picks aren't locks to succeed either.

The Mims situation was a time it backfired. As the legend goes, the Jets wanted Van Jefferson and thought they could move back and still get him, and that didn't work. Granted, it's not like Van Jefferson is some sort of star for the Rams.

We also got Demaryius Thomas (RIP), Cameron Clark (RIP) and James Morgan from that Mims trade.

He died?

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1184 on: April 19, 2022, 07:42:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/vikesinsider/status/1516480385068290054?s=20&t=L3X4OAFs9iQwZsseKzzGaw

yes, i'm aware this is smokescreen season.  But i could see big Joe fleecing the Vikes new GM.

I tossed around that idea a week or so ago. Vikings are supposedly smitten with Sauce and know they would need to leapfrog the Giants to secure him.if “our” edge is gone, I’m all for that trade down. Get me more 2nd round picks in this draft.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: