Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2021 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 46273 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The OFFICIAL 2021 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 06, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
I’m worried they’ll fire Boone to appease the fans and run the same team back out there with new packaging.

I’d rather they acknowledge and attack the root causes of the issues with this team. Aaron Boone has been the 3rd, maybe 4th reason they haven’t been as successful as they could have during his time here. That’s just my opinion.

Could they upgrade at manager? Sure, maybe. I never wanted him hired and have no attachment to him. I don’t think he’s a good manager, but I think he isn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be. The manager is just an easy guy to blame when the players fail. I’ve said on here that I’m of the belief that baseball managers don’t have as big of an effect on the game as people think. A bad one might cost you a few wins over the course of the season, max. Dave Roberts is a terrible manager and the Dodgers have finished in first place every year but this season.

The funniest part about this whole saga is that everyone that wants him fired has no idea who to replace him with other than the mythical idea of a Buck Showalter. Just like when Girardi was replaced, everyone was content with “anyone else”. Let me know who that is and then we can have a conversation about whether it’s a good idea or not.
Can't really argue with any of these points, and I agree with most of it.

I'm not one of those guys who just says "Bring in Buck and Mattingly."

I'm fine with Beltran or whoever ends up being the replacement until they show me they aren't capable. As a fan, I don't know if any of us can have realistic conversation on whether or not a guy is a good hire, unless he's been a manager before.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #736 on: October 06, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
Can't really argue with any of these points, and I agree with most of it.

I'm not one of those guys who just says "Bring in Buck and Mattingly."

I'm fine with Beltran or whoever ends up being the replacement until they show me they aren't capable. As a fan, I don't know if any of us can have realistic conversation on whether or not a guy is a good hire, unless he's been a manager before.

I wanted Beltran the first time around, but as you pointed out he’s another manager with no experience. “Good” managers don’t really ever become available.

Again, you’re not considering the possibility that we downgrade from Boone. Maybe you don’t think that’s actually possible, maybe for you it’s worth the risk to make a change.

I honestly don’t feel too strongly one way or another. If Boone is let go I want to see a strong candidate pool though. I hated that after they got rid of Girardi they came up with a super weak pool of replacement candidates. Kinda hinted to me that they were making that plan up as they went.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #737 on: October 06, 2021, 04:31:02 PM »
I wanted Beltran the first time around, but as you pointed out he’s another manager with no experience. “Good” managers don’t really ever become available.

Again, you’re not considering the possibility that we downgrade from Boone. Maybe you don’t think that’s actually possible, maybe for you it’s worth the risk to make a change.

I honestly don’t feel too strongly one way or another. If Boone is let go I want to see a strong candidate pool though. I hated that after they got rid of Girardi they came up with a super weak pool of replacement candidates. Kinda hinted to me that they were making that plan up as they went.
I think Boone is a symbol of the complacency of this team the last few years. I was glad Cashman got Rizzo and Gallo at the deadline to finally add some left-handed power and shake up the roster a bit.

And I'm willing to risk a downgrade. Todd Bowles was a bad head coach. Just because Adam Gase was a worse head coach doesn't mean we should have kept Bowles.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #738 on: October 06, 2021, 04:31:05 PM »
LOL.

I must admit I'd have been content to just keep Girardi.
Same

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #739 on: October 06, 2021, 04:39:30 PM »
I'm actually all about bringing in Buck. I know he's ornery, old and grates on players, but he's also a demonstrated winner and has a history with the franchise. He knows how to manage pitching staffs, and he knows how to get the best out of young talent.

As much as I absolutely love Mattingly, three points against his candidacy;

1. I'm not paying Miami any sort of meaningful compensation to get them to let him go.

2. He can't manage a freaking pen to save his life which is the exact issue I had with Boone.

3. (I tend to think this is overrated, but still), Have fun firing an absolute club legend.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #740 on: October 06, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »

And I'm willing to risk a downgrade. Todd Bowles was a bad head coach. Just because Adam Gase was a worse head coach doesn't mean we should have kept Bowles.

We should have kept Rex and Sanchez though. Could have done that until the year Mark retired (2019) and not been any worse off than the reality.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #741 on: October 06, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »
Re: Managers

Re: Setting the lineup

“These differences are for the most part approximately 0.02 runs per plate appearance at most. Over the course of an entire season, or around 700 PA, that equates to 1.4 runs gained. Over the course of a season, with proper lineup optimization, a team has the chance to gain approximately 10 to 15 runs.”
-from “The Book”

Re: In Game decisions

“ In the essential 2006 book Baseball Between the Numbers, analyst James Click tried to tease some signs of managerial impact out of the statistical record but came up empty. After examining the measurable impact of in-game strategies (bunting, stolen bases, intentional walks), wins and losses relative to run differential, playing time distribution, in-game substitutions (pinch-hitters, relief pitchers, and defensive replacements), and direct impact on player performance (coaching), Click was unable to find evidence of a repeatable skill in any one of those five areas for any of the 456 managers he studied. That is to say that, much like clutch hitting, individual performances varied so much from season to season that the results appeared to be as much the result of chance as anything else.

It's interesting to note, however, that Click's 2006 study did make one relatively firm conclusion regarding the impact of certain in-game decisions. "Only six times in thirty-three years has any manager used sacrifice attempts, stolen base attempts, and intentional walks to increase his team's win expectation over an entire season. Even the best managers cost their team more than a game per season by employing these tactics. At worst they can cost a team three games per season." Over multiple seasons, no manager employed those tactics for a positive effect.“

Fun fact, James Click is now the Astros GM. Started as an intern at BP. Cool journey.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #742 on: October 06, 2021, 05:25:14 PM »
Re: Managers

Re: Setting the lineup

“These differences are for the most part approximately 0.02 runs per plate appearance at most. Over the course of an entire season, or around 700 PA, that equates to 1.4 runs gained. Over the course of a season, with proper lineup optimization, a team has the chance to gain approximately 10 to 15 runs.”
-from “The Book”

Re: In Game decisions

“ In the essential 2006 book Baseball Between the Numbers, analyst James Click tried to tease some signs of managerial impact out of the statistical record but came up empty. After examining the measurable impact of in-game strategies (bunting, stolen bases, intentional walks), wins and losses relative to run differential, playing time distribution, in-game substitutions (pinch-hitters, relief pitchers, and defensive replacements), and direct impact on player performance (coaching), Click was unable to find evidence of a repeatable skill in any one of those five areas for any of the 456 managers he studied. That is to say that, much like clutch hitting, individual performances varied so much from season to season that the results appeared to be as much the result of chance as anything else.

It's interesting to note, however, that Click's 2006 study did make one relatively firm conclusion regarding the impact of certain in-game decisions. "Only six times in thirty-three years has any manager used sacrifice attempts, stolen base attempts, and intentional walks to increase his team's win expectation over an entire season. Even the best managers cost their team more than a game per season by employing these tactics. At worst they can cost a team three games per season." Over multiple seasons, no manager employed those tactics for a positive effect.“

Fun fact, James Click is now the Astros GM. Started as an intern at BP. Cool journey.
I don't disagree, but I need a sacrifice and I need it now.

If that is the only change, and they just do that to appease the fanbase and don't change anything else, then yes, they're screwing up.

And if they keep Boone, then the heat is squarely on Cashman next season.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:30:44 PM by Derek Smalls »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #743 on: October 06, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
I don't disagree, but I need a sacrifice and I need it now.

If that is the only change, and they just do that to appease the fanbase and don't change anything else, then yes, they're screwing up.

And if they keep Boone, then the heat is squarely on Cashman next season.

I think the biggest reason for getting rid of Boone is the “new voice”/“new set of eyes on the problem” aspect. Also possible that some players have gotten to complacent under Boone. I don’t prescribe to the idea that guys like Gary and Gleyber need motivation/coaching from the manager to start hitting and playing better defense. These guys are well aware they’re playing for their jobs and possibly their big payday/contract.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #744 on: October 06, 2021, 06:58:57 PM »
I think the biggest reason for getting rid of Boone is the “new voice”/“new set of eyes on the problem” aspect. Also possible that some players have gotten to complacent under Boone. I don’t prescribe to the idea that guys like Gary and Gleyber need motivation/coaching from the manager to start hitting and playing better defense. These guys are well aware they’re playing for their jobs and possibly their big payday/contract.
I hate that you're being rational about managers and telling me most of the things I know and typically believe.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #745 on: October 11, 2021, 08:34:26 AM »
Are we closing out this thread for good and moving on to the Unofficial 20-21 thread? I'm going to post over there in response to the last few pages here.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #746 on: October 11, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
"Ballgame over, THREAD over,
 Yankees lose, thaaaahh Yaaaankeess looose!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #747 on: October 11, 2021, 05:00:14 PM »
Are we closing out this thread for good and moving on to the Unofficial 20-21 thread? I'm going to post over there in response to the last few pages here.

If only you had some way of making that decision.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
If only you had some way of making that decision.

Feels wrong using mod powers when I didn't show up for the tailgate.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »

Feels wrong I didn't show up for the tailgate.

FTFY
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: