Author Topic: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 48384 times)

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
(I think) Mack brought this up and it's as good of a strategy as we can have if we end up with the #2 pick.

Go BPA (Penei Sewell) at #2 and then BPA again with the Seattle first.  Draft a quarterback with our second round pick to compete with Sam Darnold next offseason. 

Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, and Desmond Ridder seem to be the clear-cut third tier quarterback options.  Trask is a favorite of mine.  Maybe Trey Lance slides a bit. 

We've lost a generational talent at QB, but we still have to do something to try to get better there.

I'd be totally on board with this - I'd also be worried some team (Bears?) will be thinking along the same lines and snatch Trask earlier.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
(I think) Mack brought this up and it's as good of a strategy as we can have if we end up with the #2 pick.

Go BPA (Penei Sewell) at #2 and then BPA again with the Seattle first.  Draft a quarterback with our second round pick to compete with Sam Darnold next offseason. 

Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, and Desmond Ridder seem to be the clear-cut third tier quarterback options.  Trask is a favorite of mine.  Maybe Trey Lance slides a bit. 

We've lost a generational talent at QB, but we still have to do something to try to get better there. 

Yep. I think that's the best of a bad situation.

Darnold is likely broken, but he is still young and maybe a new staff and supporting cast could fix him. But he has not earned the benefit of the doubt heading into next season.

Take a QB in the 25-35 range with one of those picks and maybe trade up/down to secure that guy. I haven't been as high on Trask, but that's likely biased towards him being a 3-star quarterback who was content being a backup in Florida, so it was hard for me to get on him as a 1st-round pick. He's been very impressive this season, and he's absolutely a possibility with one of those picks.

Quite frankly, it will be whatever the new coach wants to do. He might want his own QB in Wilson or Fields and let's move on. But a Darnold/Trask competition could also work, it would cost less draft capital, and if it didn't work, we would hopefully have an even better infrastructure for the QB we take in 2023 when this all fails.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »
On the day after it all fell apart, did a half-assed/going-through-the-motions TDN mock (saved as "The Day After It All Fell Apart"):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/JbILrsH49D  (click on "user's picks)

1.  Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
 18.  Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
 34. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
 66. Jackson Carmon, OT(to OG), Clemson
 89. Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
142.Rashad Weaver, Edge, Pitt
153.Ronnie Perkins, Edge, Oklahoma
193.Tyler Linderbaum, C (project), Iowa

Made a trade to grab a playmaker after Sewell.  Not sure Toney would still be there at #89 next April.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:36:53 PM by delavan »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2020, 12:35:56 PM »
On the day after it all fell apart, did a half-assed/going-through-the-motions TDN mock (saved as "The Day After It All Fell Apart"):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/view  (click on "user's picks)

1.  Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
 18.  Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
 34. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
 66. Jackson Carmon, OT(to OG), Clemson
 89. Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
142.Rashad Weaver, Edge, Pitt
153.Ronnie Perkins, Edge, Oklahoma
193.Tyler Linderbaum, C (project), Iowa

Made a trade to grab a playmaker after Sewell.  Not sure Toney would still be there at #89 next April.
That would be a nice supporting cast for Sam Howell in 2022.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
As of now (crazy early, and without the full combine/draft process or CFB playoffs yet), I'd be shocked if we don't take a QB at #2, assuming we stay there.
I know Sewell is basically the Trevor Lawrence of OTs as a prospect, but I expect a new HC wanting to be paired with a fresh rookie QB on a rookie deal, rather than being saddled with the worst starting QB in the league on a lame-duck season. Or pairing said worst starter with a second-rounder to duke it out.

Get a #1 jersey ready, fellas! Wilson or Fields is a'comin'!
But Becton and Sewell on the same line is clearly tempting, and maybe that will be JD's plan, who knows.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »

That would be a nice supporting cast for Sam Howell in 2022.

Sam Howell .....or the Patrick Mahomes wannabe, Spencer Rattler?  : )

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 12:49:18 PM »

.or the Patrick Mahomes wannabe, Spencer Rattler?  : )

#AlbinoSZN2022
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »

Sam Howell .....or the Patrick Mahomes wannabe, Spencer Rattler?  : )

If we take Great Value Baker Mayfield (Sam Howell) or Spencer Rattler, I'm out.  If Zach Wilson doesn't come out, he's QB1 next year and it's not even close.

Rattler is by far the ugliest prospect in the history of the sport.  King Ugly 2020 and beyond. 

JT Daniels looked really good at Georgia once he got a shot. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:02:16 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »

Draft this swashbuckling beast 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
Was bored this morning....so i fired up the ol Fanspeak mock draft generator with the latest rankings. 

"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
Those rankings are so bad

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2020, 09:16:27 AM »
Those rankings are so bad

They're totally off.  But it was the latest one they had.

And i never look a gift horse in the mouth

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »
    i want to die
    • i want to die
      • i want to die
      • i want to die
      • i want to die
    • i want to die
    • i want to die

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
    i want to die
    • i want to die
      • i want to die
      • i want to die
      • i want to die
    • i want to die
    • i want to die
I'll be there in a minute.[/list]
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »

The other positive if we do take Sewell or someone else at #2, we have enough draft capital to trade back up if we need to. If the Jets don't love the quarterbacks at #2, or if they have these 2nd-tier QBs bunched together, we have enough draft capital to trade back up to get the QB we want.

If we take Sewell at #2, I think the most likely scenario is we end up packaging a couple picks to move up to take the QB we want. Most quarterbacks get traded up for. We have the draft capital to do that. Steelers, Washington, Colts, Saints, Buccaneers and Bears are all possibilities to take QBs among teams that may be picking in the 20's. Most of those teams likely will go somewhere else, but I also think we might not be the only team trying to secure one of these quarterbacks in the late 1st. We might want to trade ahead of one of these teams.

The other option if we think there isn't a huge difference between the 2nd-tier quarterbacks is trying to trade down from #2 and hoping someone else really wants one of these QBs or Sewell. Then we can either take the QB we want later in the top 10, or we can use those picks to trade up from the Seahawks pick to get the QB we want.

A lot of this will also depend on the coach we hire. If we hire a coach who wants to run a spread/air raid, Trey Lance becomes a lot more interesting than if we get a coach who wants a traditional NFL offense. And if we want a traditional pocket QB, then Kyle Trask becomes more interesting.

Tags: