Author Topic: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 48380 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Assorted 2021 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2020, 08:07:16 AM »
The main issue with Wilson is that he hasn’t played anyone good

Correct me if I am wrong...

But one of, if not the biggest reasons Lawrence is considered an exceptional prospect is how battled tested he is, how many games he's played, how many he has dominated, and how many games against legitimate NFL talent he hasn't just played in, but been spectacular.

Lots of guys have incredibly impressive NFL tools or size (Wilson is likely in this category as well) but they haven't been tested routinely by NFL talent, NFL speed and not just show up and play well, but be the best player on the field the way Lawrence has. That's part of what makes Lawrence transcendent as a prospect.

The fact Justin Fields just excrement his pants against the one (not even close) elite defense he played this year is a big concern for me. The first time his weapons didn't out athlete everyone on the field and he is just throwing into giant windows without any pressure he makes some bad decisions and poor throws (https://twitter.com/BuckeyesWire/status/1330232731402444805?s=20). Given that's not even a defense full of NFL athletes and he's performing that way, why should we look at him as a guy who can play like a top notch QB when in the NFL everything gets faster and the windows get smaller and the margin for error is so small?

As for Wilson, I'd have 2 major concerns, him playing against top talent, and I'd also want to know why he had such a shitty sophomore season if I was considering drafting him.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong...

But one of, if not the biggest reasons Lawrence is considered an exceptional prospect is how battled tested he is, how many games he's played, how many he has dominated, and how many games against legitimate NFL talent he hasn't just played in, but been spectacular.

Trevor Lawrence was one of the best NFL QB prospects before he ever played a meaningful snap at Clemson. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2020, 02:58:39 AM »
Straight up TDN mock with no trades (OL then BPA oriented)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/JlmBUqcNJO (click on "user picks")

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
 25. Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan
 33. Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
 65. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
 88. Paris Ford, S, Pittsburgh
102. Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina
141. Tyran Wallace, WR, Oklahoma St.
159. Aleric Jackson, OT, Iowa
193. Frank Darby, WR, Arizona St.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 04:22:18 AM »
Straight up TDN mock with no trades (OL then BPA oriented)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/JlmBUqcNJO (click on "user picks")

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
 25. Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan
 33. Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
 65. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
 88. Paris Ford, S, Pittsburgh
102. Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina
141. Tyran Wallace, WR, Oklahoma St.
159. Aleric Jackson, OT, Iowa
193. Frank Darby, WR, Arizona St.

It would be so entertaining to put Falalee at G next to Becton. Obviously in this scenario you are planning on either Falalee or Mayfield kicking inside, I just would love to watch Falalee next to Becton even if it’s not a great idea footwork wise

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »

It would be so entertaining to put Falalee at G next to Becton.

Obviously in this scenario you are planning on either Falalee or Mayfield kicking inside, I just would love to watch Falalee next to Becton even if it’s not a great idea footwork wise

Could you imagine 'staring down the barrel' at those two behemoths?  There they are: 770 lbs. of "we're moving you" attitude (not including  pads).   

Talk about "we're running the ball 'there'...stop us."

You're right, I was looking at book-ending Becton & Faalele at OT with the 'smaller youngsters' (Smith & Mayfield) at OG.  Again, this was just throwing out the idea of a young, monstrous offensive line fronting an already big, talented and mobile  6'6" QB.  While Faalele's supposedly a gifted athlete for his size (and given his rugby background), he opted out because of the Covid, so he hasn't added to an already thin body of work to assess. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
Could you imagine 'staring down the barrel' at those two behemoths?  There they are: 770 lbs. of "we're moving you" attitude (not including  pads).   

Talk about "we're running the ball 'there'...stop us."

You're right, I was looking at book-ending Becton & Faalele at OT with the 'smaller youngsters' (Smith & Mayfield) at OG.  Again, this was just throwing out the idea of a young, monstrous offensive line fronting an already big, talented and mobile  6'6" QB.  While Faalele's supposedly a gifted athlete for his size (and given his rugby background), he opted out because of the Covid, so he hasn't added to an already thin body of work to assess

I will be so curious to see when he is drafted. You cannot teach his size and athleticism, add in the Becton recency bias and I can see him going very high. But he also is unrefined, and is still learning Football, let alone the position he is actually playing. From a prospect/ready to contribute perspective I would assume a mid round grade, but on tools he could easily be a 1st round guy. In general I will be very curious what happens to the many guys who opted out this year and didn't put anything on tape for a season. Historically guys that take a year off don't play well upon their return (Bell, Mike Williams, Mo Clarett) so I'll be fascinated to see how the league values those guys, particularly the non-elite talents like Jamar Chase who could have swung wildly in draft projection based on the season they had this year.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2020, 07:36:15 AM »
(I think) Mack brought this up and it's as good of a strategy as we can have if we end up with the #2 pick.

Go BPA (Penei Sewell) at #2 and then BPA again with the Seattle first.  Draft a quarterback with our second round pick to compete with Sam Darnold next offseason. 

Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, and Desmond Ridder seem to be the clear-cut third tier quarterback options.  Trask is a favorite of mine.  Maybe Trey Lance slides a bit. 

We've lost a generational talent at QB, but we still have to do something to try to get better there. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
(I think) Mack brought this up and it's as good of a strategy as we can have if we end up with the #2 pick.

Go BPA (Penei Sewell) at #2 and then BPA again with the Seattle first.  Draft a quarterback with our second round pick to compete with Sam Darnold next offseason. 

Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, and Desmond Ridder seem to be the clear-cut third tier quarterback options.  Trask is a favorite of mine.  Maybe Trey Lance slides a bit. 

We've lost a generational talent at QB, but we still have to do something to try to get better there.
I'm certainly on the Penei Train at 2.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »

If we draft Sewell are you playing him at RT, or moving him inside?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
Can't imagine using #2 overall on a gord.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2020, 08:31:51 AM »
Can't imagine using #2 overall on a gord.

That doesn't really make sense though, you're not using #2 overall on a guard. You're using it on a freakishly talented lineman who can play in either position.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2020, 08:36:40 AM »

Tackle, no question

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2020, 09:18:01 AM »
Tackle, no question

Makes sense, and having a pair of bookend monsters on rookie deals would be awesome, but we still have the IOL problem. I think Elflein and McGovern are serviceable, and maybe we can have another go at Thuney. Lewis and van Roten can both freak off though.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »

This is the formula.  Hell, chances are that if we want to draft a qb the following year we could still trade the one we draft in 2021 for a mid to late round pick.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »

Where do you see Trey Lance falling out?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: