Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66467 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #855 on: November 26, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
You think they'll fire Hackett?  Otherwise what HC will want to have an OC forced on him?  They want to try one more year with Rodgers, but I think they believe Hackett will be fine with Rodgers at QB.  Rodgers and the rest of the Jets staff are tied at the hip. 

I didn't say anything about changing the head coach.

As I have said before, I don't think there's any difficulty with replacing Douglas at this point. You hire a new GM on the understanding that he has Rodgers, Saleh and Hackett for the 2024 season, after that it's entirely up to him what he does with any of them. I think lots of candidates would love a free swing at a potential Super Bowl run in their first year and the freedom to sweep clean if it doesn't work, it's a no lose situation for them.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #856 on: November 26, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »
I didn't say anything about changing the head coach.

As I have said before, I don't think there's any difficulty with replacing Douglas at this point. You hire a new GM on the understanding that he has Rodgers, Saleh and Hackett for the 2024 season, after that it's entirely up to him what he does with any of them. I think lots of candidates would love a free swing at a potential Super Bowl run in their first year and the freedom to sweep clean if it doesn't work, it's a no lose situation for them.
You clearly don't remember Idzik hire
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #857 on: November 26, 2023, 02:48:51 PM »
To me Douglas's biggest mistake has been overpaying free agents, but I don't know if that's the price of being a bad team.

Remember his first couple of years when everyone was praising him for not going over his FA contract ceiling?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #858 on: November 26, 2023, 02:55:48 PM »
You clearly don't remember Idzik hire

Obviously I do. This is a completely different and somewhat unique situation, because we have a QB with an incredibly short shelf life and then we're doing a rebuild no matter what. That wasn't remotely the case when we hired Idzik.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #859 on: November 26, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »
Obviously I do. This is a completely different and somewhat unique situation, because we have a QB with an incredibly short shelf life and then we're doing a rebuild no matter what. That wasn't remotely the case when we hired Idzik.

You don't hire a GM and keep a lameduck coach.  It's dumb, we've done it once when we hired Idzik, we shouldn't do it again.

So no, this isn't a unique situation.  Either you're keeping both or firing both....anything else and it won't end well (again).  You and I both know no GM will want this job without picking his own HC, and he probably won't want to be at Rodgers' mercy.  So as much as you want to get rid of Douglas, you'll be downgrading to some inexperienced doofus who isn't afraid of getting canned.

And as far as Rodgers goes....i've seen 4 snaps, so we really don't know what we have, and now he's coming off a significant injury at 40 years of age. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:06:35 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #860 on: November 26, 2023, 09:21:07 PM »
It is a VERY unique situation. This season is going the way of a season where you clean house afterward. But nobody knows what Rodgers thinks. He nearly retired this offseason.

Maybe if we fire Saleh and Hackett, he won't feel like learning a new system and trusting new people and he will retire. Maybe he doesn't care that much. My guess is he thinks he can turn things around with his guys, including Saleh and Hackett. Maybe he is OK if we fire people. Maybe not.

Considering his position and potential upside, I am fine bending to Rodgers' will for another year within reason. There is a path to success next year with a few good moves.

The issue with keeping Saleh and JD (other than that both may be bad) is that they are motivated to mortgage part of the future for non security. But considering our QB will be 40, there is reason to do what it takes to win next year over the future.

There is zero chance they fire Douglas and keep Saleh. That would be idiotic. Either start new or don't. Or keep Douglas and replace Saleh. It is probably more Douglas fault than Saleh's but the hierarchy makes it untenable to keep Saleh and fire JD.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #861 on: November 26, 2023, 09:48:50 PM »
I don't see a reason to keep Saleh, tbh.

He started out and stayed at the mean that Rex's teams regressed to. If he is taking more ownership of the offense than Rex is then he's making the wrong decisions. If he's not allowed or not willing to make changes on offense until it's way too late then it doesn't matter that he's here.

We've documented enough of the reasons why Douglas shouldn't keep his job that I'm not going to bother here.

If this staff is intact and in place next season, I don't see a reason to be optimistic as of right now.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #862 on: November 26, 2023, 10:24:58 PM »
It is a VERY unique situation. This season is going the way of a season where you clean house afterward. But nobody knows what Rodgers thinks. He nearly retired this offseason.

Maybe if we fire Saleh and Hackett, he won't feel like learning a new system and trusting new people and he will retire. Maybe he doesn't care that much. My guess is he thinks he can turn things around with his guys, including Saleh and Hackett. Maybe he is OK if we fire people. Maybe not.

Considering his position and potential upside, I am fine bending to Rodgers' will for another year within reason. There is a path to success next year with a few good moves.

The issue with keeping Saleh and JD (other than that both may be bad) is that they are motivated to mortgage part of the future for non security. But considering our QB will be 40, there is reason to do what it takes to win next year over the future.

There is zero chance they fire Douglas and keep Saleh. That would be idiotic. Either start new or don't. Or keep Douglas and replace Saleh. It is probably more Douglas fault than Saleh's but the hierarchy makes it untenable to keep Saleh and fire JD.
I keep picturing a column A where we keep Douglas/Saleh/Hackett/Rodgers and a column B where everything is a question mark, and I'm not convinced column B is better.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #863 on: November 26, 2023, 11:22:11 PM »
I keep picturing a column A where we keep Douglas/Saleh/Hackett/Rodgers and a column B where everything is a question mark, and I'm not convinced column B is better.
What competent GM would want to come here ?

We'd be plucking another scouting or personnel director from somewhere or hiring a mediocre retread who's taken a few years off and not by choice

Everyone else in the building has waved the white flag on the season and it's beyond obvious .

We as fans should too . We're already having the offseason salvage discussion lol .

This job isn't as attractive as people would imagine it is .

We've got a good defense . Congratulations . So do like 5 other teams who aren't in a suicide pact with a 40 yr old QB.  The youth movement won't be too young going into yr 3 next yr and will likely be plotting their escape unless we make the playoffs in 24.

If we lose out burning it all down isn't off the table . But the most realistic scenario is everyone stays and a playoff mandate is made apparent to everyone in the building regardless what the media says lol

We will exhaust all options so if we do blow it up nobody can say we didn't give them a fair shake . Hence this regime buying themselves time with Rodgers.  If they can't be a contender next yr nobody here deserves to keep their job . Plain and simple .

The most Jets thing ever is Rodgers gets hurt again in December and retires then we go scorched earth

Nothing they've done shows they deserve anything but again they bought themselves time with Rodgers so their fate is solely tied to him .

This is a sad car wreck . Let's see if they can walk away unscathed or we need to put the sheets over them next December lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:24:57 PM by Coach K »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #864 on: November 26, 2023, 11:30:59 PM »
What competent GM would want to come here ?

We'd be plucking another scouting or personnel director from somewhere or hiring a mediocre retread who's taken a few years off and not by choice

Well yea, the talented ones have jobs.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #865 on: November 26, 2023, 11:37:32 PM »
Well yea, the talented ones have jobs.
Let me rephrase

Nobody wants to be in a power struggle with Rodgers or be the guy that told Rodgers to freak off if he insisted on staying

Especially a greenhorn GM.

This regime is married to him and if they blow it up and Rodgers stays its a mess for a plethora of reasons

And we still wouldn't be bad enough to to get a top 3 pick . Not unless we literally lose out and teams like CAR ARI NE end up with 5 wins . And that ain't happening . Even if we lose out NE has 3 wins.

Does this regime deserve to get nuked? Probably

But instead of swinging and missing on another top 5 QB prospect JD decided to hitch his wagon to Rodgers

Woody don't give a excrement because there's gonna be asses in seats and media deals out the derriere unless Rodgers retires

Plain and simple. Cleaning house won't happen unless this gets even uglier for the rest of the year and even then I doubt it ..

Rodgers retiring would be the only way they don't make it to 2024 lol. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2023, 11:51:18 PM »
Let me rephrase

Nobody wants to be in a power struggle with Rodgers or be the guy that told Rodgers to freak off if he insisted on staying

Especially a greenhorn GM.

This regime is married to him and if they blow it up and Rodgers stays its a mess for a plethora of reasons

And we still wouldn't be bad enough to to get a top 3 pick . Not unless we literally lose out and teams like CAR ARI NE end up with 5 wins . And that ain't happening . Even if we lose out NE has 3 wins.

Does this regime deserve to get nuked? Probably

But instead of swinging and missing on another top 5 QB prospect JD decided to hitch his wagon to Rodgers

Woody don't give a excrement because there's gonna be asses in seats and media deals out the derriere unless Rodgers retires

Plain and simple. Cleaning house won't happen unless this gets even uglier for the rest of the year and even then I doubt it ..

Rodgers retiring would be the only way they don't make it to 2024 lol. 

What pisses me off is that we know Douglas is going to mortgage the future he won't be here for. I can't wait until he gives up a premium pick for Davante Adams instead of going after someone like Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd (Cincinnati can't keep both), or Mike Evans because Rodgers needs his besties around him.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #867 on: November 27, 2023, 12:13:51 AM »
What pisses me off is that we know Douglas is going to mortgage the future he won't be here for. I can't wait until he gives up a premium pick for Davante Adams instead of going after someone like Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd (Cincinnati can't keep both), or Mike Evans because Rodgers needs his besties around him.
Lol I just think cap wise it may not be feasible .

I think davante would be 22 mil against the cap and the raiders would legit have to eat 40 mil in dead cap. No team is gonna do that . His deals already been restructured too so giving up capital for that at his age would be suicide and tell us he chopped his balls off and handed them to Rodgers lol

He'll maybe it's the only reason Rodgers took a paycut

Who knows wtf is going on at this point

But yes I'd easily sign a FA of the ilk you mentioned over surrendering draft capital . Especially since Evans looks better at his age than Davante imo lol

And either rofl the bengals guys would be worth it especially in FA.

I just dont have many expectations until the offseason because there's a few ways to go about this but I've got no idea wtf they're actually thinking right now other than they want to fast forward to April lol
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 12:15:47 AM by Coach K »

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #868 on: November 27, 2023, 12:22:09 AM »
The positive scenario is Rodgers recruits heavy and we can get 1 WR and a couple mid tier OL in FA

Then JD has to draft starters in rd 1 and 3.

Then we need our field to not sacrifice players weekly lol .

I think the fact nobody has faith in Hackett is what seems so bad this season . (Not that he's given us reason to have any lol)

Honestly it could be turned around fast.  Our OL is just the worst I've ever seen in my life so it's hard to judge Hackett. I feel like they've tried things but nobody blocks so anything Xs and Os is literally a moot ppint when it gets blown up in seconds

Combine that with the fact if they do block nobody gets open .

Combine that with the fact if the other two things actually happen they don't catch it

Combine that with the fact our QBs aside from Rodgers read fields as well as Mayweather would read Tolstoy and Asimov

Yeah its a freaking dickless sideshow circus right now

Which is kinda why I went on a bender about JDs handling of OL .

The chain reaction from that unit just makes everything else suffer
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 12:24:02 AM by Coach K »

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #869 on: November 27, 2023, 12:23:45 AM »
Lol I just think cap wise it may not be feasible .

I think davante would be 22 mil against the cap and the raiders would legit have to eat 40 mil in dead cap. No team is gonna do that . His deals already been restructured too so giving up capital for that at his age would be suicide and tell us he chopped his balls off and handed them to Rodgers lol

He'll maybe it's the only reason Rodgers took a paycut

Who knows wtf is going on at this point

But yes I'd easily sign a FA of the ilk you mentioned over surrendering draft capital . Especially since Evans looks better at his age than Davante imo lol

And either rofl the bengals guys would be worth it especially in FA.

I just dont have many expectations until the offseason because there's a few ways to go about this but I've got no idea wtf they're actually thinking right now other than they want to fast forward to April lol

Out of the three I'd take Tyler Boyd but that's just my homer tendencies showing through. Any of those three would be an amazing pairing with Garret.

Tags: