Author Topic: Gravity  (Read 14912 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: Gravity
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
Watching it tonight in 3D.

I'm excited!!!!
"Wrong!"

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
Just back from the cinema tonight ( Prisoners, Pretty decent) and having seen the trailer for Gravity I wasn't overly excited but intrigued.

Having read Fenwyrs post, who's posts I rate coupled with his disclosure that he is a Nuclear Physicist means I will probably give this a whirl.
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Just back from the cinema tonight ( Prisoners, Pretty decent) and having seen the trailer for Gravity I wasn't overly excited but intrigued.

Having read Fenwyrs post, who's posts I rate coupled with his disclosure that he is a Nuclear Physicist means I will probably give this a whirl.

Is that an honorary degree?  Maybe it will help in my job hunt.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
Just booked tickets to see this tonight. Never been to an IMAX before. It had better be good or I'm holding you wankers responsible.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
In the theater now. I want to murder everyone.
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »
In the theater now. I want to murder everyone.
why?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
Just got done. Wowowowoowoww
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »
Visually stunning, but the story was utter horseshit requiring the viewer to ignore all sorts of colossal plot holes. I like Bullock and Clooney but this wasn't one of their finer efforts.

Meh.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
I agree.  It was mostly about the special effects.  But I went into this knowing I'd have to suspend reality a little, so I liked it.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »

Visually stunning, but the story was utter horseshit requiring the viewer to ignore all sorts of colossal plot holes. I like Bullock and Clooney but this wasn't one of their finer efforts.

Meh.

Plot holes?  What plot holes?  The back stories were exceedingly shitty, but Those aren't plot holes.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Plot holes?  What plot holes?  The back stories were exceedingly shitty, but Those aren't plot holes.

Spoilers:

- She goes from being incapable of remembering how to drive the escape pod that she spent six months training on to being able to launch herself out of it and then drive herself to the Chinese space station using a fire extinguisher

- The satellites, the space stations and the Hubble telescope were all in the same orbits, which as you've already told me is not a thing that happens for reasons that would seem pretty logical

- Even if we accept that somehow this would happen, why would the Russians then fire a missile at their own satellite knowing that their own cosmonauts and the space station that they part own were directly in the line of fire as the debris, not to mention the NASA shuttle and astronauts

- George Clooney hotdogging around listening to country music and shooting the excrement over the radio? Come on

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
At no point did they bill this as a true story.  No reason to treat this any different than any other science fiction movie. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
Well, except for the fact that it featured the Shuttle, the ISS, Hubble and NASA. It may not have been billed as a true story, but it was set inside a framework of absolute reality so there's kind of a responsibility to keep it real. Don't ask me to buy into the tension of the story and then get out of it with the freaking fire extinguisher.

Either make a sci-fi, or make a believable story.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
It's not a movie to dissect. It is a visceral film with some amazing special effects. For that hour and a half I felt like I was in space and surviving alongside them.

I think your problem is you go into movies and tv desperate to find something you can nitpick.  Maybe it's a UK thing.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 11:20:12 PM »
The funniest part of this?  My friend in the physics dept at MIT and his fellow physicists loved the movie and said it was closer to reality than expected.  The alignment of the satellite and stations was their biggest complaint, but they said it was easily overlooked for dramatic effect.  They're the ones who said the extinguisher scene was highly unlikely but actually possible.  And on a space mission that was just about ended and ready to go home, why couldn't Clooney go all Bruce McCandless?  There's real life precedence for a space walk like that one.

It was a thriller, not a documentary.  JE is more offended by the science of the movie than respected scientists.

Tags: movies