Author Topic: Crap Movies  (Read 142142 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Crap Movies
« Reply #600 on: November 30, 2015, 12:02:21 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/28/entertainment/gods-of-egypt-cast-apology-feat/?iid=ob_homepage_NewsAndBuzz_pool&iref=obnetwork

"Even Butler has played a role beyond his ethnic roots, starring as King Leonidas in "300," a character based upon the real-life king of Sparta."

Wait. King Leonidis wasn't white?

My guess would be that he had a fairly Arabic complexion, but you'd better ask Puck. He's the only one on JO who was around then.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #601 on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:35 AM »
it is pretty insulting that white people love pumping out grossly historically inaccurate movies where apparently the whole world is only white.

people scoff at it but itd be like making schindlers list with a bunch of Palestinians .

excrement is downright retarded.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #602 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
it is pretty insulting that white people love pumping out grossly historically inaccurate movies where apparently the whole world is only white.

people scoff at it but itd be like making schindlers list with a bunch of Palestinians .

You do have to admit, if you have any sense of humor, filming Roots and or Armistad with all white people would have been freaking hilarious. Not that they didn't think of doing it.

I used to love the Cowboys and Indian movies and the Indians have Brooklyn accents.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #603 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »

Such as?
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #604 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »

What.  How many movies can you name where the entire world is white washed?  And this one doesn't count.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #605 on: November 30, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Here's a list of movies 'pumped out' with whitewashed characters.  You'll notice that at least half of them feature races that simply don't have a lot of working actors in Hollywood, especially in the eras in which they were made.  That means a ton of Biblical works.  It's pretty funny that with all the movies white people have 'pumped out', there are so few that have egregious racial issues on this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #606 on: November 30, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »

Here's a list of movies 'pumped out' with whitewashed characters.  You'll notice that at least half of them feature races that simply don't have a lot of working actors in Hollywood, especially in the eras in which they were made.  That means a ton of Biblical works.  It's pretty funny that with all the movies white people have 'pumped out', there are so few that have egregious racial issues on this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles

I feel that Hollywood goes out of their way to NOT whitewash most of the time. Same with gender. Calling Hollywood out as racist is hilarious being that they're the complete opposite.
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #607 on: November 30, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
I feel that Hollywood goes out of their way to NOT whitewash most of the time. Same with gender. Calling Hollywood out as racist is hilarious being that they're the complete opposite.

No.  That's not true either.  Hollywood is run by white men, so they make movies for and about white men.  There has been a movement to change that, but it's still a white male industry.  As a result, roles, especially lead roles, skew male.  I think it's something like 88% of all lead roles in major films go to men.  That's clearly not indicative of the population as a whole.  If Hollywood were really going out of its way to not skew toward white men, you'd see numbers much more closely aligned with the ethnic makeup of the country.  As for race, 16% of the population is Hispanic.  How many Hispanic actors can you name?  How many carry movies?

Hollywood does what any business does.  It identifies its perceived market and caters to it.  It tries to draw in women and minorities with roles for women and minorities, but it largely caters to white males.  That's a big part of why older women don't get much work as well.  It's not what white males want to see.  My contention was that it's silly to argue that the industry is pumping out all of these whitewashed, historically inaccurate movies.  More often than not, the races of the characters are true.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #608 on: November 30, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »

I can't speak to race and its representation in Hollywood movies, but as far as gender is concerned you should look up the Bechdel Test. It isn't completely reliable but it is an interesting exercise nonetheless.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #609 on: November 30, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
I can't speak to race and its representation in Hollywood movies, but as far as gender is concerned you should look up the Bechdel Test. It isn't completely reliable but it is an interesting exercise nonetheless.

JetOffensive fails the Bechdel Test.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
I have this graphic novel Fun Home that I got maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and I've read it a few times.  Didn't realize until maybe a year ago that the Bechdel Test is named after Allison Bechdel who wrote the novel.  Then a couple of weeks ago, my sister went to NY and was desperate to see a musical called Fun Home.  She's been talking about it for months.  Never put two and two together that it was actually based on the graphic novel until I saw her last week.

Basically, Bechdel is a confusing woman.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
Do jews count as White Males?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #612 on: November 30, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

Do jews count as White Males?

White Jews do.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #613 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
The Independence Day sequel is gonna suck, but this is some pretty sweet promo work.  http://www.warof1996.com/   

Tags: movies