Author Topic: Possible Jets HC Candidates  (Read 65740 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Possible Jets HC Candidates
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »
If Idzik replaces Rex with another "defensive guy" he should immediately be fired.

And id also be surprised if we brought in Bowles

Since Graves is Idzik's right hand man, and as soon as Graves was fired in Arizona Bowles was immediately brought in by Grave's replacement.

Just seems a little odd there (ok maybe thats a stretch)

But the thought of us bringing in a defensive guy is freaking retarded

Especially since Arizona and Seattle havent exactly done great jobs at building offenses. Seattles offense has been incredibly efficent, but I give that credit to their defense more than anybody
You don't have to always do the opposite. The Jets can bring in a defensive guy who can get better people in place or do a better job creating an offense-friendly atmosphere.

I'd prefer an offensive mind, but limiting the search to only offensive coaches is short-sighted.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »
If Idzik replaces Rex with another "defensive guy" he should immediately be fired.

And id also be surprised if we brought in Bowles

Since Graves is Idzik's right hand man, and as soon as Graves was fired in Arizona Bowles was immediately brought in by Grave's replacement.

Just seems a little odd there (ok maybe thats a stretch)

But the thought of us bringing in a defensive guy is freaking retarded

Especially since Arizona and Seattle havent exactly done great jobs at building offenses. Seattles offense has been incredibly efficent, but I give that credit to their defense more than anybody

I just brought up Bowles  because he's a really bright coach that will be in the mix, just a name others didn't bring up in earlier posts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:07:00 PM by WW85 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Aside from Mahlzahn I imagine we would look at a few college coaches as well, David Shaw out of Stanford, whichever team makes a serious run at the title in the playoffs aside from FSU and Bama will probably have their coach get a look from NFL squads as well.

I suppose Jimbo Fisher could get interviews, but I would be very surprised if he leaves the college ranks, he doesn't strike me as a pro coach.

I don't even necessarily want an offensive coach, just somebody who can get a good QB to play on our team with the proper supports necessary to help him grow.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
You don't have to always do the opposite. The Jets can bring in a defensive guy who can get better people in place or do a better job creating an offense-friendly atmosphere.

I'd prefer an offensive mind, but limiting the search to only offensive coaches is short-sighted.

Its not just doing the opposite.

The Jets a decent young core nucleus on defense in place. The front 7 is pretty good/young, and even the secondary should improve a bit as our corners get healthy and our young safeties adjust to more natural positions. Not to mention offense is generally far more important in this league than defense, and ours needs way more work than our defense as well.

Theres nothing more important in this league than QB, everyone knows that. And considering that were in one of, if not the very worst QB situations in the entire nfl. I think its absolutely dire that we start bringing in people who know how to fix it

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

The Jets a decent young core nucleus on defense in place. The front 7 is pretty good/young, and even the secondary should improve a bit as our corners get healthy and our young safeties adjust to more natural positions. Not to mention offense is generally far more important in this league than defense, and ours needs way more work than our defense as well.

Theres nothing more important in this league than QB, everyone knows that. And considering that were in one of, if not the very worst QB situations in the entire nfl. I think its absolutely dire that we start bringing in people who know how to fix it

Which current HCs would you trust to develop a QB not picked in the top 5 into something of value? I can think of probably 3, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Arians and Mike McCoy. How many non-HCs would you trust? Because I don't know of any I'd certainly trust to elevate to the HC position and do that with.

My point is, just because a guy is an offensive minded HC he automatically can develop a kid into a top tier QB.

Believe me I agree, we need to get somebody here who can develop a QB, but just because the guy has an offensive label, doesn't mean he can actually do it.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
Which current HCs would you trust to develop a QB not picked in the top 5 into something of value? I can think of probably 3, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Arians and Mike McCoy. How many non-HCs would you trust? Because I don't know of any I'd certainly trust to elevate to the HC position and do that with.

My point is, just because a guy is an offensive minded HC he automatically can develop a kid into a top tier QB.

Believe me I agree, we need to get somebody here who can develop a QB, but just because the guy has an offensive label, doesn't mean he can actually do it.

I understand that. There is no sure thing, even an offensive guy isnt guaranteed to succeed at developing a QB.

But is there anyone who thinks that a former defensive coordinator is going to do a better job at developing a young QB than a guy who spent his whole life coaching offense ?

Sure one can argue that a DC while take pressure off a QB, and look how well that panned out for us with Sanchez and Geno.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »

The Jets a decent young core nucleus on defense in place. The front 7 is pretty good/young, and even the secondary should improve a bit as our corners get healthy and our young safeties adjust to more natural positions.

The front 3 is good/young, the other four pretty much suck.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
The front 3 is good/young, the other four pretty much suck.
This

I was just going to post this.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
Davis is OK. The rest can go. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »
I think it's time for an offensive minded HC.  I'm not opposed to hiring another DC, this is just my preference.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Same here. The last time we had an offence that was fun to watch was 1998.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Wrong!"

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
If we want to hire an offensive minded head coach, we should look at Pep Hamilton.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 06:47:53 AM »
It's only a matter of time before this thread devolves into:

-can't hire a college coach since they won't translate to the pros
-can't hire an assistant coach with no head coaching experience
-can't hire a head coach with experience who's never won a SB, he's just a retread
-can't hire a head coach with experience who's won a SB, because no one has ever won with two teams

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »
It's only a matter of time before this thread devolves into:

-can't hire a college coach since they won't translate to the pros
-can't hire an assistant coach with no head coaching experience
-can't hire a head coach with experience who's never won a SB, he's just a retread
-can't hire a head coach with experience who's won a SB, because no one has ever won with two teams

Hmm... Good point.  What if we hire a llama to be our head coach?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
Hmm... Good point.  What if we hire a llama to be our head coach?

There's no rule that says a llama can't be a coach in the NFL!