Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197648 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
None of them live in government projects. There are income limits for access to government housing in Manhattan. It's minimum wage or less. Office maintenance workers are unionized and make more than $50k a year (I know because my mom is one), and hospital nurses make way more than minimum wage.

Those who live in government housing are mostly on welfare and have almost zero incentive to find better paying jobs. Why? Because they would have to make considerably more to make enough to pay for rent in the same neighborhood, as well as other living expenses. It's a broken system, and all it does is increases demand for property on the island. Move the government projects to way outside the city, convert the land to standard residential property, and watch the neighborhoods improve and rent all throughout the city drop as a result.

I didn't really need the confirmation, but Tommy has now proven to me that he's a typical white guy who has never actually been to the projects.

As someone who grew up literally one block from a Queens housing project, I can tell you Tommy that you are 100% wrong as well as 100% oblivious to reality.

Also, who gives a excrement about upper-middle-class assholes who want to live in Manhattan? Personally, I'd rather continue to have space in my outer borough, thank you very much.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »

I don't believe anything that you have said in this paragraph.

All hotel, residential, and commercial building service employees are unionized. 32BJ for residential and commercial. That's $50k a year plus benefits.

Nurses in NYC make a good living.

Most residents of government projects, or any rent controlled building in NYC, have income limitations. You can't live there if you make more than a certain amount.

You haven't bothered to do any research and just assumed that whatever I'm saying is typical white republican nonsense.
"Wrong!"

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »

I didn't really need the confirmation, but Tommy has now proven to me that he's a typical white guy who has never actually been to the projects.

As someone who grew up literally one block from a Queens housing project, I can tell you Tommy that you are 100% wrong as well as 100% oblivious to reality.

Also, who gives a excrement about upper-middle-class assholes who want to live in Manhattan? Personally, I'd rather continue to have space in my outer borough, thank you very much.

What exactly about my post was wrong? Do tell.
"Wrong!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
What exactly about my post was wrong? Do tell.

Okay.

None of them live in government projects. There are income limits for access to government housing in Manhattan. It's minimum wage or less. Office maintenance workers are unionized and make more than $50k a year (I know because my mom is one), and hospital nurses make way more than minimum wage.

In fairness, you might be right, only because I missed the part where you said "in Manhattan" until just this moment.

It's certainly not true of all government-sponsored housing, and also not true for Section 8 benefits.

Those who live in government housing are mostly on welfare and have almost zero incentive to find better paying jobs. Why? Because they would have to make considerably more to make enough to pay for rent in the same neighborhood, as well as other living expenses. It's a broken system, and all it does is increases demand for property on the island. Move the government projects to way outside the city, convert the land to standard residential property, and watch the neighborhoods improve and rent all throughout the city drop as a result.

This is just ludicrous. And likely at least a bit racist.

Also, NYC's government once attempted to move city project residents to the outer boroughs. Many of those moved into the projects I grew up hanging out in. It degraded the neighborhood, which to that point was a solid working-class (very intermixed racially) neighborhood.

You can't just say "move out the poor to make room for the rich" and not receive any backlash. I know, that's the Republican way, but it doesn't make it okay.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »
All hotel, residential, and commercial building service employees are unionized. 32BJ for residential and commercial. That's $50k a year plus benefits.

Nurses in NYC make a good living.

Most residents of government projects, or any rent controlled building in NYC, have income limitations. You can't live there if you make more than a certain amount.

You haven't bothered to do any research and just assumed that whatever I'm saying is typical white republican nonsense.

For the record, I assume that everything you say is typical white republican nonsense.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the pissing contest with actual news about what happened:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/uptown/building-collapse-harlem-article-1.1718814

2 dead, 22 injured, 12 missing

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the pissing contest with actual news about what happened:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/uptown/building-collapse-harlem-article-1.1718814

2 dead, 22 injured, 12 missing

Residents of a building neighboring the site had complained of gas at 9:13 a.m. — 18 minutes before the explosion, Con Edison spokeswoman Elizabeth Matthews said.

Tragic and terrifying.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Scruggy

• Eric Smith
  • I can't stop thinking about Terence Trent D'Arby
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
I'd kill for a decent bagel right now, Saul. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away