Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197678 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
They're really taking the revitalization projects to the extreme, now.

Extreme gentrification

IATA

• Shaun Ellis

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
They really need to get rid of all government projects in Manhattan. They're the reason it's so damn expensive to live anywhere near the city. Let the housing market dilute a bit. Move low income housing to way outside the city where they belong. Living near the city center shouldn't be a "right". It's a privilege. A lot of people work really fuckn hard and have to live deep in Queens and/or BK because convenient land is being used up by housing for people who don't even work, let alone in the city centers.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
They really need to get rid of all government projects in Manhattan. They're the reason it's so damn expensive to live anywhere near the city. Let the housing market dilute a bit. Move low income housing to way outside the city where they belong. Living near the city center shouldn't be a "right". It's a privilege. A lot of people work really fuckn hard and have to live deep in Queens and/or BK because convenient land is being used up by housing for people who don't even work, let alone in the city centers.

Well that's certainly not going to happen in the next 8 (or more?) years. DeBlasio wants to shoehorn more affordable housing in.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
Well that's certainly not going to happen in the next 8 (or more?) years. DeBlasio wants to shoehorn more affordable housing in.

In HK government housing is all in the New Territories or in the outer islands. About an hour or more commute into the city center, but it ensures that prices around the city center aren't completely outrageous. That's how it should be in NYC. I don't get why DeBlasio insists that government housing HAS to be in Manhattan.

Also, from what I hear about him, I doubt he makes it more than one term. He's already pissed off the upper class, middle class, most Manhattanites, and the Irish.
"Wrong!"

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
If NYC wants to maintain a place near the top of the global mega-city list, they need to build vertically in areas that conservationists have claimed as low height areas. You need high quality, high density housing in downtown Manhattan, and you have to keep building it.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
If NYC wants to maintain a place near the top of the global mega-city list, they need to build vertically in areas that conservationists have claimed as low height areas. You need high quality, high density housing in downtown Manhattan, and you have to keep building it.

I agree 100pct. Build more high-rise residential buildings.
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Also, from what I hear about him, I doubt he makes it more than one term. He's already pissed off the upper class, middle class, most Manhattanites, and the Irish.

Doesn't matter. The fro is unbeatable.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

Who do you think is cleaning your offices and making your sandwiches and pushing wheelchairs around downtown hospitals?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Who do you think is cleaning your offices and making your sandwiches and pushing wheelchairs around downtown hospitals?

On Tommy's behalf: people who are perfectly capable of commuting from the outer boroughs.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2014, 10:13:04 AM »

None of them live in government projects. There are income limits for access to government housing in Manhattan. It's minimum wage or less. Office maintenance workers are unionized and make more than $50k a year (I know because my mom is one), and hospital nurses make way more than minimum wage.

Those who live in government housing are mostly on welfare and have almost zero incentive to find better paying jobs. Why? Because they would have to make considerably more to make enough to pay for rent in the same neighborhood, as well as other living expenses. It's a broken system, and all it does is increases demand for property on the island. Move the government projects to way outside the city, convert the land to standard residential property, and watch the neighborhoods improve and rent all throughout the city drop as a result.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
None of them live in government projects. There are income limits for access to government housing in Manhattan. It's minimum wage or less. Office maintenance workers are unionized and make more than $50k a year (I know because my mom is one), and hospital nurses make way more than minimum wage.

I don't believe anything that you have said in this paragraph.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
On Tommy's behalf: people who are perfectly capable of commuting from the outer boroughs.

Does transit from the outer boroughs run 24/7? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer.)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
Does transit from the outer boroughs run 24/7? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer.)

Yes. Obviously, service decreases during off-peak hours and certain lines may be subject to temporary closures for repair/maintenance, but there's always a way to get in and out of the city.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/html/assistance/income.shtml

The problem with most public housing in NYC has more to do with the terribly designed neighborhoods around the developments than the income limits. They built giant blocks of apartments with no reasonable storefront or business space around it, creating relatively isolated high-density apartments without allowing physical spaces for neighborhoods to develop. You need high density and mixed use, apartments for the sake of having housing alone is a recipe for a city's stagnation.

Attracting a lot of poor people to a city is a good thing - it means that there are incentives attracting people to the city, which can be a decent indicator of the economic health of a city. But the blocks of public housing (particularly between 112 and 115, but really throughout East Harlem, and the Lower East Side) is a textbook example of failed 'tower in a park' housing concepts that were destined to be an economic sinkhole from the start.

They were premised on outdated 19th century principles that wanted to limit tenement style health problems without recognizing that lack of green space wasn't what was causing the health issues in high density environments, it was bad infrastructure and limited access to clean food/water.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:38:51 AM by ons »