Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 514018 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #1110 on: July 03, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
IJR lives in a community with much lower than average obesity rates for the US.
I think people have also been desensitized to fatties

Like someone who is medically obese (whatever the bmi criteria for the age/gender is) at the bottom end of. The spectrum isn't even considered obese by most people anymore

They're just "normal' or the higher end of the spectrum of normal

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1111 on: July 03, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
I was born in 1975. I got trophies in Little League for "participation" and it sucked. I despised those things. It was nothing more than a reminder that we didn't win. "Here's a shitty tiny trophy kid. Maybe next year you'll be on a team that doesn't suck and you can get yourself one of those nice tall ones."

The trophy thing is definitely blown out of proportion.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1112 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
I think people have also been desensitized to fatties

Like someone who is medically obese (whatever the bmi criteria for the age/gender is) at the bottom end of. The spectrum isn't even considered obese by most people anymore

They're just "normal' or the higher end of the spectrum of normal

I live in a very active city where people can and do walk and bike anywhere and everywhere local in year round good weather.  It's also a city where people take a lot of pride and emphasis on the food they eat.  We have very low rates of overweight people however you define it.  I'll keep track of how many even overweight people I see in the next week.  It may be skewed by high tourist season, but that's ok.  Science demands it.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1113 on: July 03, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »

I was born in 1975. I got trophies in Little League for "participation" and it sucked. I despised those things. It was nothing more than a reminder that we didn't win. "Here's a shitty tiny trophy kid. Maybe next year you'll be on a team that doesn't suck and you can get yourself one of those nice tall ones."

Dude, they don't even keep score around here until you're like 10.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1114 on: July 03, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Also, nobody eats chain fast food around here.  My kids eat Taco Bell like once or twice a month and that's it.  I don't think half of her friends have ever been in McDonalds.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1115 on: July 03, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
I live in a very active city where people can and do walk and bike anywhere and everywhere local in year round good weather.  It's also a city where people take a lot of pride and emphasis on the food they eat.  We have very low rates of overweight people however you define it.  I'll keep track of how many even overweight people I see in the next week.  It may be skewed by high tourist season, but that's ok.  Science demands it.
I'm sure that obesity rates are lower where you are

I just don't belive that it's near impossible to find someone who is obese

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1116 on: July 03, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

I'm sure that obesity rates are lower where you are

I just don't belive that it's near impossible to find someone who is obese

You said kids.  This topic has come up before, and you didn't believe me before.  So I kept my eyes open at drop off/pick up.  Seriously, there are almost no overweight kids and no obese ones at our school.

My wife works with poor kids in high school and just said her school is probably 10% overweight with a couple technically obese kids.  So there you go.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1117 on: July 03, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Dude, they don't even keep score around here until you're like 10.

Honestly, why would anyone even want to?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #1118 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »

Same. Kids are smart enough to know that participation trophies mean  nothing.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1119 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Honestly, why would anyone even want to?

How else are you supposed to atone for all of your life's failures if not by living vicariously through your children?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #1120 on: July 03, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

Same. Kids are smart enough to know that participation trophies mean  nothing.

Not all kids.  They give out medals and ribbons and certificates for everything and I see plenty of kids who feel a profound sense of accomplishment for doing nothing.  It diminishes real awards.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1121 on: July 03, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
How many trophies does GM's kid get each season? 

At least three: 

Highest ERA
Lowest batting average
Whiniest dad
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1122 on: July 03, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
How many trophies does GM's kid get each season? 

At least three: 

Highest ERA
Lowest batting average
Whiniest dad

4 honks
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1123 on: July 03, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
My wife works with poor kids in high school and just said her school is probably 10% overweight with a couple technically obese kids.  So there you go.

Same at my school and I'm in an entirely different region.

We have three kids that are morbidly obese.  They weren't allowed to play football because of their weight.  It was sad. 

Had another kid come out that was barely eligible to play and he's lost nearly 30 pounds since the end of May.  He bought it after barfing and wheezing his way through early workouts.  It's great to see. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:19:55 PM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1124 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
Not all kids.  They give out medals and ribbons and certificates for everything and I see plenty of kids who feel a profound sense of accomplishment for doing nothing.  It diminishes real awards.

Like the obesity thing, this is also specific to your environment. I doubt the kids playing pop warner in Lubbock, TX are getting the same treatment.