Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 514048 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #735 on: April 09, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
"An" Historic or "A" Historic Event?

‘A historic event’ or ‘an historic event’?

People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #736 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
"An" Historic or "A" Historic Event?

‘A historic event’ or ‘an historic event’?

People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.

BOOM HEADSHOT

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #737 on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
BOOM HEADSHOT

Except not. "Historical" is pronounced "istorical" when used with the indefinite article.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #738 on: April 09, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »
Except not. "Historical" is pronounced "istorical" when used with the indefinite article.

By the lazy who can't enunciate.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #739 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
By the lazy who can't enunciate.

Watch the BBC news.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #740 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
Just because I don't pronounce the h in herb doesn't mean I'm going to pretend it's correct.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #741 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
Just because I don't pronounce the h in herb doesn't mean I'm going to pretend it's correct.

Good, because it isn't.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #742 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
Good, because it isn't.

Neither is istorical. It's not correct in any way, it's just lazy speech.

Koz

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #743 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
People on the subway taking 2 steps away from me when they see my severely infected but not contagious pink eye condition in both eyes.  I'm not a vampire you sack of dicks.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #744 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Watch the BBC news.

Why would I care about what's happening in a second rate country?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #745 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
People on the subway taking 2 steps away from me when they see my severely infected but not contagious pink eye condition in both eyes.  I'm not a vampire you sack of dicks.

Who farted on your pillow?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #746 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:27 AM »

Whose derriere were you eating on your "business" trip?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #747 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #748 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »
Why would I care about what's happening in a second rate country?

When your third rate country can be bothered to come up with its own language then you can use it any way you choose.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #749 on: April 09, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
When your third rate country can be bothered to come up with its own language then you can use it any way you choose.

America does have its own language

it ahhhh happen