Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 513998 times)

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #3510 on: November 02, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
Uninstall the Facebook and messenger apps and install Tinfoil for Facebook instead

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3511 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »
I hear that, I just really dont like the idea that they can hear me...at any time. Its fd up.

Is that any worse than the government being able to hear you through your device at any time? At least Facebook just wants to sell you something.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3512 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
Is that any worse than the government being able to hear you through your device at any time? At least Facebook just wants to sell you.

FTFY. Remember, if you're getting a product for free, you're the product.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3513 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
FTFY. Remember, if you're getting a product for free, you're the product.

Totally fair, but I still get to control my own money at the end of the day. The selling of you is to corporations for the purposes of later selling you something. I can control my own eventual destiny under those terms (not that I like this either). The ability of the government to monitor me and what I say/do can only be useful to "them" in terms that severely detract from my own freedom.

If we suddenly found out that all the DoJ was using phone records for was to sell to Walmart to better target me for Black Friday sales, I'd be cool with that.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #3514 on: November 03, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
Totally fair, but I still get to control my own money at the end of the day. The selling of you is to corporations for the purposes of later selling you something. I can control my own eventual destiny under those terms (not that I like this either).

You think?

Think about what people post on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and all of the other various social media sites. Now imagine an industry working collectively to use all of that publicly shared information to build a database of knowledge on you and your behaviours. Sure, they might use it to sell you more targeted products (and my view has always been that given I'm going to be advertised to anyway, I'd rather you advertise things that I might be interested in), but that's not what's concerning.

What if they used it to change the price of things that they sell to you? Say, insurance. Hey Alio, we see pictures of you drinking on a fairly regular basis. That just bumped up your life insurance premium, and given we might assume a greater chance of you driving afterwards given where you live and how much you seem to drink, have a 15% hike on your car insurance as well.

What's this, Alio? A shiny new road bike? Lovely purchase, that. Except you've just increased your chances of having a crash, so take a hit on your health insurance for that.

I see you've also installed a new stereo in your car. Yeah, unfortunately you didn't tell me about that so now that you're in need of making a claim on your car insurance after that lady rear-ended you the other day, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no. Unreported modifications, you see. It's in the fine print.

The risks of corporate world having your data go far deeper than just who's trying to sell you stuff.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3515 on: November 03, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
Am I the only one that is too boring for the government to care about?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #3516 on: November 03, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
Am I the only one that is too boring for the government to care about?

Yes
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #3517 on: November 03, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
I see your point JE, and I guess it makes sense, but I'm not going to get that worried about it at the moment. I'm really not that worried about the government coming for me either, truth be told. I just think it's more concerning that the government has free access to listen in on your private conversations than Facebook seeing that you keep liking Scandal episodes.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #3518 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
Facebook and Instagram are always showing me ads for 2 x 4s, gasoline, and white tablecloths

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3519 on: November 03, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »
I saw the first Black Friday commercial of the year today.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #3520 on: November 04, 2015, 12:09:02 AM »
My neighbor has been playing the same Adele song on repeat for almost two hours.  The worst.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3521 on: November 04, 2015, 06:20:38 AM »
Newscasts/morning shows that insist on showing you some awful video clip of someone getting run over by a car or some elderly lady getting mugged and getting her derriere kicked by a gang.  Jesus, just tell me and leave it at that.  It's bad enough, I don't need to see it. 

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #3522 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »

Newscasts/morning shows that insist on showing you some awful video clip of someone getting run over by a car or some elderly lady getting mugged and getting her derriere kicked by a gang.  Jesus, just tell me and leave it at that.  It's bad enough, I don't need to see it.

This nigga can't handle life.
"Wrong!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3523 on: November 04, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »
This nigga can't handle life.
Apparently not.  I don't routinely see violence in real life.  Not something I enjoy.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #3524 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »
Apparently not.  I don't routinely see violence in real life.  Not something I enjoy.
this fuckin guy