Author Topic: Annoyances  (Read 513964 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Annoyances
« Reply #2625 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »
So finally moved into my new apt. Got my speakers and sound system hooked up, all the furniture, everything.

I had my vacuum cleaner plugged into a power strip, and after a minute all the lights in the apt went off, including the electronics. Turns out the breaker was tripped. I then found out that all outlets, except for the kitchen, hook up to the same 15 amp breaker. Plugging the vacuum directly into the outlet seemed to work for whatever reason.

I don't know enough about electronics, but it doesn't sound like having all outlets hooked to one single breaker is a good idea.

It depends. I don't know code for where you live, but here I think it's a maximum of 12 outlets on a single 15 amp circuit. Low draw items like electronic devices have a negligible impact, but something like a vacuum will hit it hard so if you have a lot of devices on the same circuit I can see that a vacuum might put you over the edge.

Your kitchen outlets might very well be a 20 amp circuit because things like microwaves, blenders and extractor fans draw a lot more power, so Badger's suggestion is a sensible one. Did you buy the place or are you renting?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2626 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »
Your kitchen outlets might very well be a 20 amp circuit because things like microwaves, blenders and extractor fans draw a lot more power, so Badger's suggestion is a sensible one. Did you buy the place or are you renting?

Do you really think Tommy has his excrement together enough to buy property that's not a square meter in Scotland?

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2627 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
I'm renting. I'm fine with plugging the vacuum into the kitchen outlet, but I'm going to want to plug in an AC soon. If a vacuum is making the circuit trip, then imagine what an AC will do.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2628 on: March 30, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
Are you sure that every single outlet is on a single breaker? How many outlets do you have?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2629 on: March 30, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
I'm renting. I'm fine with plugging the vacuum into the kitchen outlet, but I'm going to want to plug in an AC soon. If a vacuum is making the circuit trip, then imagine what an AC will do.

Check with the landlord, ours told us exactly which outlet the AC needed to be plugged into.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2630 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

Are you sure that every single outlet is on a single breaker? How many outlets do you have?

7 outlets. Two in the kitchen, two in the living room, one in the bathroom, and two in the bedroom.

I tested them out using trial and error yesterday. Left everything on and began turning off breakers. There are 6 breakers, one for the kitchen, four don't do anything, and one basically shuts off everything in the apt including the lights.
"Wrong!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #2631 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2632 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
That seems a little odd. When you say "one basically shuts off everything in the apt including the lights" do you mean everything including the kitchen, or everything except the kitchen?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2633 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
Our breakers don't completely make sense either. I try not to worry about it.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #2634 on: March 30, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

That seems a little odd. When you say "one basically shuts off everything in the apt including the lights" do you mean everything including the kitchen, or everything except the kitchen?

Doesn't shut off the fridge, just the kitchen lights. As well as all the lights and electronics everywhere else in the apt.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2635 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
Does your apartment have its own hot water tank and/or furnace? If so then they must be on their own breakers.

Also, have you tested every outlet? As Badger says there may well be one designated for a high draw unit like an AC, that would account for another one of the breakers that you think is unused. Try flipping all four of those off and leaving the main breaker for the outlets and lights on, then go round and plug something into each outlet in turn and see if there's one that doesn't work. If there is, leave your test device plugged in and flip each of the four breakers in turn until the outlet comes on.

Or, y'know, call the freaking landlord.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2636 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
I browse apartment listings from time to time to stay on top of the renters market.

I saw a listing in my area that said $915, 2 BR 2 BA. Immediately the "too good to be true" bells go off, but I clicked anyway.

Turns out it's actually $915 for a bedroom, $945 for the bigger bedroom, or $1900 for the whole apartment. freak off.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2637 on: March 30, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
A girl where I work is about 24.  Has an autistic kid and is barely making ends meet, no help from her deadbeat sperm donator.  Anyway, her mother (who has a daughter younger than her own grandson) calls her and needs to borrow money from her to have their dog for treated for a bad laceration. Daughter doesn't have money to give, but finds a way to get it for her Mom because she's a bit of a pushover. 
The next day she asks her Mom if she could pick up her son at school.  Says she can't because she is getting her 3 y/o daughter's nails done.  Want to punch a wall.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2638 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
A girl where I work is about 24.  Has an autistic kid and is barely making ends meet, no help from her deadbeat sperm donator.  Anyway, her mother (who has a daughter younger than her own grandson) calls her and needs to borrow money from her to have their dog for treated for a bad laceration. Daughter doesn't have money to give, but finds a way to get it for her Mom because she's a bit of a pushover.

The next day she asks her Mom if she could pick up her son at school.  Says she can't because she is getting her 3 y/o daughter's nails done.  Want to punch a wall.

This story gave me cancer.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2639 on: March 30, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »

Apart from the miserable standard of human behaviour exhibited there, wouldn't it have made more sense for daughter to get employee rates to have the dog treated?