Author Topic: New York Yankees 2014 Season  (Read 33167 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: New York Yankees 2014 Season
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
I don't really see it as lack of respect. They all have a job to do.
"Wrong!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
The timing may have been way off, but do you disagree with what he supposedly said?

"great job Beltran, Tex, and McCann, hopefully you all can manage to hit .220 again next year!"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:00:35 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
I don't really see it as lack of respect. They all have a job to do.

Girardi has a job to do too.  I'm suuuuuure no one has heard any criticism of him this year, but his derriere is on the line because of more than a few underperforming players in his lineup.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
He shouldn't have had the meeting that day. Especially not that day, but it doesn't have the same effect on the last day of a lost season on the road in the Fenway clubhouse.  It should have been way earlier in the season. But this speech was (hopefully) to motivate the players that will still be on the team next season.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
Yeah seriously. They're all better than this. I hate to make it about Jeter or Mariano but not making the playoffs for each of their last two seasons is especially shameful. They failed in that respect.
"Wrong!"

klaximilian

« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Jeter has played his last game. RBI Infield Single, and now he's out.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »
The red sox went all out today with the ceremonies. Hat tip to them

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Tomorrow, October 30th: At 9am ET, eligible players become free agents and players on the 60-day DL and restricted list are activated. The Yankees have ten players hitting free agency: David Robertson, Hiroki Kuroda, Ichiro Suzuki, Brandon McCarthy, Chase Headley, Stephen Drew, Chris Capuano, Chris Young, Rich Hill, and the retired Derek Jeter. Ivan Nova, CC Sabathia, Martin Prado, and Slade Heathcott will all be activated off the 60-day DL and Alex Rodriguez will be activated off the restricted list. The Yankees will have 35 players on the 40-man.

This Saturday, November 1st: Option decisions due. Most of them, anyway. Some contracts specify a different date. The Yankees’ only option decision is for Andrew Bailey, who has a club option for 2015 believed to be worth $2M or so. He didn’t pitch at all this year following shoulder capsule surgery and had numerous setbacks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the team walked away.

Next Monday, November 3rd: Deadline to make eligible free agents the one-year, $15.3M qualifying offer. Robertson will definitely get one, Kuroda might. RAB readers would make him one. McCarthy, Headley, and Drew are not eligible for the qualifying offer because they were traded at midseason.

Next Tuesday, November 4th: End of the five-day exclusive negotiating period. As of 12:01am ET next Tuesday, free agents can negotiate and sign with any team. Also, the 2014 Gold Gloves will be announced at 7pm ET. The Yankees don’t have any finalists.

November 10th: Last day for free agents to accept or reject the qualifying offer. If the player rejects and signs with a new team, his new team will forfeit their first round pick and his former team will receive a supplemental first round pick.

November 10th to 12th: GM Meetings in Phoenix. These used to be boring from a hot stove point of view — they’re for business matters — but there have been more deals struck at the GM Meetings in recent years. The wheels for the Curtis Granderson trade were put into motion at the 2010 GM Meetings, for example.

November 10th to 13th: Major awards announced. Rookies of the Year will be announced on the 10th, then Managers of the Year, Cy Youngs, and MVPs in the following days. Dellin Betances and Masahiro Tanaka are candidates to finish second to Jose Abreu for the AL Rookie of the Year. The Yankees don’t have any other serious awards candidates.

November 10th to 18th: The “All-Star Series 2014″ in Japan. A team of MLB players will play three exhibition games and a five-game series against the Japanese National Team. Capuano is the only Yankee currently on the roster despite not really being a Yankee anymore. Jeter declined to participate.

November 20th: Deadline for teams to finalize their 40-man roster for the Rule 5 Draft. The Yankees will add 1B/OF Tyler Austin to the 40-man roster to protect him. Other Rule 5 Draft eligible players include RHP Danny Burawa, RHP Zach Nuding, 1B Kyle Roller, RHP Branden Pinder, and OF Mason Williams, among others. I’d bet on one or two of those bullpen arms being protected.
December 2nd: Deadline for teams to make contract offers to their pre-arbitration and arbitration-eligible players, otherwise known as the non-tender deadline. A whole new and less interesting batch of free agents will hit the market on this date. Esmil Rogers and David Huff are the Yankees’ two obvious non-tender candidates.

December 8th to 11th: Winter Meetings in San Diego. This is usually when all hell breaks loose and there are tons of rumors and signings and trades each day, though last year most of the action — Robinson Cano, Brian McCann, and Jacoby Ellsbury signings, Prince Fielder-for-Ian Kinsler trade, etc. — happened before the Winter Meetings. Was that just a blip or the start of a trend?

December 11th: Rule 5 Draft, which is the unofficial end of the Winter Meetings. Teams that do not have an open 40-man spot as of November 20th can not make a pick. As a reminder, players selected in the Rule 5 Draft have to stay on their new team’s 25-man active roster all year, or be put on waivers and offered back to their old team before they can be sent to the minors.

January 13th: Deadline for eligible players to file for arbitration. Just a formality. Nothing exciting. Michael Pineda, Shawn Kelley, Frankie Cervelli, David Phelps, Nova, Huff, and Rogers are the team’s arbitration-eligible players this winter. Here are their projected 2015 salaries.

January 16th: Deadline for eligible players and teams to file salary figures for arbitration. Both sides usually try to avoid letting things get this far, but they can still negotiate a contract of any size after this date.
February 1st to 21st: Arbitration hearings. The two sides can still negotiate a contract at any point up until literally walking in the room for the hearing. The three-person panel will choose either the salary filed by the player or team after hearing each side’s argument. The Yankees haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since beating Chien-Ming Wang back in 2008.

February 20th: Pitchers and catchers report to Tampa. Yay Spring Training.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:27:15 PM by SixFeetDeep »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Guys I'd definitely bring back:
DRob
Headley
McCarthy

Guys I'd probably bring back:
Drew
Kuroda (if he still wants to play)

I'd love to help Ichiro win a title, but there isn't a lot of room for him. Unfortunately, we're still stuck with Beltran and with ARod returning, Beltran is going to have to play right while Alex DHs most of the time. Great move there Cashman.

I saw this morning that Boston has serious interest in acquiring either Headley or Sandoval. I'd rather they got neither.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
Also, the Yankees are not equipped to win a title.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Also, the Yankees are not equipped to win a title.

But they kind of are.

The problem is all the "ifs."

If Tex and McCann can beat the shift. If Drew can start hitting again (and returns). If Headley returns. If Beltran isn't a steaming pile of excrement again. If ARod is a capable DH.

The pitching is going to be there. Tanaka, Pineda, Sabathia, McCarthy, Phelps is a pretty good rotation. If Kuroda returns, that pushes Phelps back to the pen. If Nova returns midway (and hasn't lost anything) he slots into the 3rd slot. Even an aged Sabathia is a pretty great 5th starter.

That all assumes the Yankees don't sign either Lester or Scherzer or both.

If you have Betances and Robertson as your 8th and 9th guys, it's practically over after 7 if you have a lead. The Yankees will have a pretty deep bullpen as long as DRob returns.

The "ifs" are all in the lineup. Fortunately for the Yankees, those are solvable issues if money is no longer an object (which it appears not to be again). Rob Refsnyder is being groomed to either be a starting 2B or RF. Whichever spot he takes, Prado could take the other. If they swallow Beltran's contract and ship him off, that's one less injury-prone headache.

Had the Yankees not had the $189M mandate last winter, they'd have brought back Cano and likely had far less offensive issues. Like the Jets, with even a moderate offense this year, the Yankees would have won a lot more games.

Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: yankees