Author Topic: Rumors of who the Jets are interested in during Free Agency  (Read 118790 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Rumors of who the Jets are interested in during Free Agency
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz  5m
Jets are interested in free agent CB Alterraun Verner, per source. #nyj

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk  7h
Jets plan to make an offer to Jon Asamoah http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qBS

Before Cuts:

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini  Mar 6
The Jets $23.608 million in cap space, according to ESPN data. #Jets
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:09:44 PM by hawk »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Rumors of who the Jets are interested in during Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
we want everybody.

/thread
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
If we land a corner like Verner for big $$$, ill be completely convinced that Idzik is buying into Rex long term

I just dont see a move like that happenin tho

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
If we land a corner like Verner for big $$$, ill be completely convinced that Idzik is buying into Rex long term

I just dont see a move like that happenin tho

I dont think it really says that (not that I have a problem with it). Idzik also comes from Seattle and we know all about their corners...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »
Andrew Hawkins
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
I dont think it really says that (not that I have a problem with it). Idzik also comes from Seattle and we know all about their corners...

They didn't go out and grab their corners for huge money. Sherman was a mid round pick, set to earn almost nothing.

While the Jets invested in Wilson Milliner in the first,  and traded for Cro plus gave him a big extension.

Rex loves his corners far more than Seattle does. That doesn't mean Seattle aren't better, but that was just good drafting and luck.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »

Really reading too much into it - the only sign of Idzik buying into Rex long term is Rex winning a lot.

Verner represents a huge talent upgrade, no further analysis needed of our GM's motivation.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »
Really reading too much into it - the only sign of Idzik buying into Rex long term is Rex winning a lot.

Verner represents a huge talent upgrade, no further analysis needed of our GM's motivation.

Idzik will have invested a top 10 draft pick in a corner, and  then signed possibly the best ufa corner on the market for a monster contract.

Outside of Tampa we will likely have more invested in CB than probably any other team in the laegue.

And 2 of our 3 corners will have been Idzik moves.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36261/jets-show-interest-in-cb-alterraun-verner?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The New York Jets made an interesting phone call Saturday, inquiring about Tennessee Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner, according to a league source.

Verner, 25, coming off his first Pro Bowl season, will be one of the top cornerbacks on the free-agent market. Before you get too excited, let's add some perspective here: This smacks of a due-diligence call by the Jets, who are involved in a negotiation with their own top cornerback, Antonio Cromartie. If Cromartie doesn't take a pay cut to lower his $15 million cap charge, he'll be released. So, yeah, this could be posturing as well. My sense is that Verner is a contingency if things fall apart with Cromartie

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »
We're paying Cro $5 million if we cut him.  Might as well pay him maybe $1-2 million more and keep him.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
We're paying Cro $5 million if we cut him.  Might as well pay him maybe $1-2 million more and keep him.

Cro has a cap hit of $5 million if we cut him.  We aren't paying him.  Why would he take $1-2 million when a new market would probably pay him 3-5 million?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
Cro has a cap hit of $5 million if we cut him.  We aren't paying him.  Why would he take $1-2 million when a new market would probably pay him 3-5 million?

A one year rebound deal is within the realm of possibility. And staying here, in a defense Cro has excelled in last year would be Cro's best chance at earning a better contract in a year

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »

I think Bo's point was that we might as well pay him $6-7M to play for us rather than $5M not to.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
I think Bo's point was that we might as well pay him $6-7M to play for us rather than $5M not to.

I know what his point was.  I don't see him taking 1-2 million to make that 6-7 million (with the cap hit) when he should command 3-5 million on the open market.  JMO

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »
I know what his point was.  I don't see him taking 1-2 million to make that 6-7 million (with the cap hit) when he should command 3-5 million on the open market.  JMO

Maybe Cro just really really likes Rex