Author Topic: Relative tax rates for high earners across the G20  (Read 2581 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Relative tax rates for high earners across the G20
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26327114

For those who advocate high earners paying less tax, I wonder which of those countries that allow high earners to retain more of their money they'd like to live in? And which of those that allow high earners to retain less of their salary? There seems to be a fairly clear correlation between taxation of high earners and overall standards of living.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Relative tax rates for high earners across the G20
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Man, freak Saudi Arabia.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
Man, freak Saudi Arabia.

But you get to keep so much of your salary. Surely Saudi Arabia is a wet dream for hardcore right wingers?

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
But you get to keep so much of your salary. Surely Saudi Arabia is a wet dream for hardcore right wingers?

If you're a top income earner living in Riyadh, you're having a vastly different experience than the majority of the country.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
If you're a top income earner living in Riyadh, you're having a vastly different experience than the majority of the country.

Absolutely. But the argument that seems to be constantly promoted is that if you tax high earners less they'll spend more of it, thus spreading wealth more efficiently through society than any Government body and improving the lot of the poorer end of the spectrum. These numbers would seem to challenge that assertion.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »

Absolutely. But the argument that seems to be constantly promoted is that if you tax high earners less they'll spend more of it, thus spreading wealth more efficiently through society than any Government body and improving the lot of the poorer end of the spectrum. These numbers would seem to challenge that assertion.

That's the argument used to sell the less fortunate on the concept and secure votes.  I don't know of any wealthy people who believe it.  The people who actually run the Republican Party don't give a excrement about the overall economy.  Truth be told, the Dems likely don't either.

Tags: