Author Topic: All Things Manziel  (Read 28450 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: All Things Manziel
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 05:19:28 AM »
Jaws is a reactionist. I thought that was pretty clear by now.
Need a new one for a new board...

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
Dunno what to make of him. Don't like his pocket presence at all, IM curious to see how he handles not being able to throw jump balls to Evans on broken plays, there's slot to criticize.

However one thing I love is his accuracy on the run is almost God like.

His defense made him even.harder to judge cause he was forced to play backyard football to catch.up constantly.

a lot to like but definite holes in his game. Although if someone compared him to Tebow I'll snap. Manziel has a legit shot to prove his critics wrong

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Manziel hasnt been getting any love from the media at all

Im starting to think him being on the board at 18 is a possibility.

And I dont think wed take him if he was there either

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
Manziel hasnt been getting any love from the media at all

Inside the Houston war room:

"I dunno, Jaws didn't seem too optimistic about this Manziel kid. I was going to watch his games and form my own opinion, but I marathoned House of Cards instead."

"Yeah, and Simms said Geno Smith was better than every QB in this draft. Think the Jets will take our 1st overall pick for him?"

"I'll call and find out."

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
And I dont think wed take him if he was there either

If we didn't, I would start calling for John Idzik's head.

I don't know what sports media you're paying attention to, but he's very much in the running for the #1 overall pick.  I think it will be Blake Bortles because of the O'Leary/O'Brien connection, but McNair wants Manziel.

Oakland and Cleveland seem to prefer Carr.  I think we'll see someone move up to #2 ahead of JAX for Johnny Football. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
Inside the Houston war room:

"I dunno, Jaws didn't seem too optimistic about this Manziel kid. I was going to watch his games and form my own opinion, but I marathoned House of Cards instead."

"Yeah, and Simms said Geno Smith was better than every QB in this draft. Think the Jets will take our 1st overall pick for him?"

"I'll call and find out."

Its more than just the Jaws thing. Momentum just isnt swinging up for the guy right now.

I mean QB is the most valuable position in sports, so its more than possible these guys all get overdrafted. But I dunno right now.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
Its more than just the Jaws thing. Momentum just isnt swinging up for the guy right now.

What in the hell are you talking about?

"i read on rotoworld that manziel is a dick"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 08:12:05 PM »

I mean QB is the most valuable position in sports, so its more than possible these guys all get overdrafted. But I dunno right now.

Please provide examples of what you are hearing because I haven't seen any of it except for Jaws and what Simms said last week that would indicate Manziel is anything but a top 8 and very likely top 3 pick.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »
Here was the Cosell thing which was stuck in my mind (from yesterday)
Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel faces long odds of success in the pros because his game is so reliant on "making plays outside of structure."
On tape, Cosell was taken aback by "how many balls (Manziel) does not throw to open receivers," and that he abandons the pocket even when he "does not need to." Opined Cosell, "I think it's very hard in the NFL to live on the edge when you don't need to. If you live on the edge too often, you will fall off the cliff, in my view, in the NFL." Cosell believes Manziel's tendency to move and/or abandon the pocket is not comparable to Russell Wilson's, who does it in a "structured" manner. "When it's third-and-six, and Russell Wilson sees he can run for eight yards and get a first down, he just runs for eight yards and gets out of bounds," Cosell explained. "There's a purpose to his movement. Now I'm interpreting Johnny Manziel on film, but quite frankly, when he moves I see a guy who moves, and then tries to figure it out. And I'm not sure that that works in the NFL." Mar. 1 - 11:40 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=9271&line=283975&spln=1

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
His full comments on Manziel
He’s a great example of how you try to project a transition from college to the NFL. I try to think of it this way – what do you hang your hat on when you think of Johnny Manziel? Watch him play, what stands out? Let’s say you’re watching TV, Ross. What stands out about Johnny Manziel? Making plays outside of structure, correct? So the question becomes for NFL people you’re the offensive coordinator, you’re the quarterbacks coach. You spend all week breaking down the opposing defense. You spend all week putting together your game plan. Isn’t that what they do? If your quarterback goes out and does not execute that and steps outside of structure when he does not need to, and that’s the critical point because that’s what you see when you watch Johnny Manziel on tape is how many balls he does not throw to open receivers. In fact I would make a reel of those and show him those if I was a team and have him explain the plays to me. But when you don’t do that and then you step outside of structure when you don’t need to, if that’s the basis for why you believe he’ll be a great NFL quarterback, based on my experience I would struggle with that as a reason for someone being a great NFL quarterback. I think it’s very hard in the NFL to live on the edge when you don’t need to live on the edge. If you live on the edge too often you will fall of the cliff, and that’s my view in the NFL.

I think there’s a balance between this idea that you have to be mobile to play in the NFL which has some validity with defenses and the pressure concepts. I think we all understand that. No one is saying that movement is negative in the player, but it’s when do you move and how do you move. I think Russell Wilson is a great example of someone whose movement is almost structured and that might sound contradictory, but I think when it’s third and six if Russell Wilson sees he can run for eight yards and get a first down, he just runs for eight yards and gets out of bounds. There’s a purpose to his movement. Now I’m interpreting Johnny Manziel on film, but quite frankly when he moves I see a guy who moves and then tries to figure it out and I’m not sure that it works in the NFL.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »
Cosell:  we've never seen anyone do it before, so it can't be done

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 06:06:16 AM »
Cosell:  we've never seen anyone do it before, so it can't be done

There are a lot of good points that he has. Manziel has to change the way he does some things if he wants to succeed in the NFL. That said a guy that accomplished at making something happen when it all breaks down is like gold.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

I don't know what sports media you're paying attention to, but he's very much in the running for the #1 overall pick.  I think it will be Blake Bortles because of the O'Leary/O'Brien connection, but McNair wants Manziel.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
If we didn't, I would start calling for John Idzik's head.

Oakland and Cleveland seem to prefer Carr.  I think we'll see someone move up to #2 ahead of JAX for Johnny Football.

I agree! I think O'Brien seeing Bortles beat Penn State first hand will have some influence too.

Cleveland would probably love to draft Watkins and get Carr with their 2nd 1st round pick, a possibility if things fall right.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
Cleveland would probably love to draft Watkins and get Carr with their 2nd 1st round pick, a possibility if things fall right.

From what I've been hearing, I really don't think Derek Carr lasts that long.  Teams have Carr has their #1 QB right now.

There isn't an elite guy.  It's going to come down to preference and Carr's potential + intangibles could get him drafted in the top five. 

I don't see how he gets out of the top ten. 

Tags: manziel nfl draft