Author Topic: New York Jets Miscellanea  (Read 798407 times)

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
Re: New York Jets Miscellanea
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
It can, especially when that player doesn't have the best talent around him.

Smith seems to handle it well, at least.   

At least he seems to have a competent OL.  I'd say that is the biggest deal breaker for rookies.  If Sanchez had the kind of time Geno gets, who knows.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2013, 04:27:38 AM »
At least he seems to have a competent OL.  I'd say that is the biggest deal breaker for rookies.  If Sanchez had the kind of time Geno gets, who knows.

The OLine during Sanchez's first two seasons was great. Damien Woody retiring and the Jets switching from a zone to a man blocking scheme helped freak that up.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
The OLine during Sanchez's first two seasons was great. Damien Woody retiring and the Jets switching from a zone to a man blocking scheme helped freak that up.

Precisely.  Sanchez still made some mind numbing bad throws, but when he had protection in his first two years he could win games.

I think he would be great with this OL and defense.  It's a shame we'll likely never get to see it.

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
Precisely.  Sanchez still made some mind numbing bad throws, but when he had protection in his first two years he could win games.

I think he would be great with this OL and defense.  It's a shame we'll likely never get to see it.

I think having a real offensive coordinator who actually knows how to run a passing offense is what would have helped him more than anything.  Sanchez has played with great lines and defenses before, but never a good coordinator.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

I'm not sure what you find so impressive about our o-line this year.  Our quarterback has been sacked 30 times (3rd most in the NFL) and PFF ranks us as the worst run-blocking line in the league.  Aside from Austin Howard, everybody is having a bad year, even Brick and Mangold.  I trust Winters will improve, Mangold and Brick will return to form, and the line will gel as a unit in the future, but thus far, that hasn't happened.

Wayne Hunter excluded, Mark Sanchez did a lot to make talented linemen look bad.  He'd be getting crushed behind this year's line. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »
I don't think our OL is great but a lot of the sacks are obviously on Smith.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
The same could have been said about Sanchez. 

And Mark wasn't making plays with his feet like Geno has been.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
The same could have been said about Sanchez. 

And Mark wasn't making plays with his feet like Geno has been.
I saw a lot more of Sanchez getting killed right after the snap. Not that he wasn't at fault for other sacks where he held on to it for too long, but I don't see Smith have too many snaps where he's fucked right off the bat.

Overall I definitely think we have a better OL than we had for the previous two seasons.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
I saw a lot more of Sanchez getting killed right after the snap. Not that he wasn't at fault for other sacks where he held on to it for too long, but I don't see Smith have too many snaps where he's fucked right off the bat.

Overall I definitely think we have a better OL than we had for the previous two seasons.

It's solid now, as Winters grows and we get a replacement for the most penalized OL in the league in Colon, it will improve.
Need a new one for a new board...

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
I'm not sure what you find so impressive about our o-line this year.  Our quarterback has been sacked 30 times (3rd most in the NFL) and PFF ranks us as the worst run-blocking line in the league.  Aside from Austin Howard, everybody is having a bad year, even Brick and Mangold.  I trust Winters will improve, Mangold and Brick will return to form, and the line will gel as a unit in the future, but thus far, that hasn't happened.

Wayne Hunter excluded, Mark Sanchez did a lot to make talented linemen look bad.  He'd be getting crushed behind this year's line. 

Worse run blocking than the Ravens? Yeah right

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Our o-line has been terrible, especially Winters. We've been consistently beaten in pass protection and have been completely unable to get second level blocks in the running game. Mangold has been crippled trying to prop up Winters.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
Our o-line has been terrible, especially Winters.

I'm sure you know this, but he's a rookie learning a new position on the OL.  Mistakes are going to happen, and most of them are mental with the pass protection.

Winters has enough physical ability to be a strong player on the line for years.  And he's made some excellent blocks, especially as a pulling guard so far this year. 

It will get better. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
I'm sure you know this, but he's a rookie learning a new position on the OL.  Mistakes are going to happen, and most of them are mental with the pass protection.

Winters has enough physical ability to be a strong player on the line for years.  And he's made some excellent blocks, especially as a pulling guard so far this year. 

It will get better. 

Absolutely, totally agree, I trust his upside and his development. But this year he's been passable at his best, brutal at his worst.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
Absolutely, totally agree, I trust his upside and his development. But this year he's been passable at his best, brutal at his worst.

Still better than Ducasse save for Ducasse's game against Wilfork.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:14 AM »
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 10m
EXCLUSIVE: Darrelle Revis rips "bitter" Jets fans for death threats and harassment, says they need to "let it go." http://bit.ly/17kILe6