Author Topic: CVS to stop selling Tobacco  (Read 8372 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: CVS to stop selling Tobacco
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
How many people buy their cigarettes from smoke shops? Id be willing to guess less than 10% of smokers.

If gas stations and convenience stores can make a profit selling cigarettes I cant see why a national retailer wouldnt be able to .

Im also willing to bet CVS has far greater security/responsibility measures than a local gas station.

Also the fact that no major retailer has ever stopped selling tobacco before makes me guess that its pretty profitable

What the hell are you talking about?

Smoke shops inventory is entirely tobacco related.  CVS and other national retailers have 1000's of other products.  Also, a retailer like Walmart sells them at 20-30% higher than a smoke shop.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 07:12:19 PM »
What the hell are you talking about?

Smoke shops inventory is entirely tobacco related.  CVS and other national retailers have 1000's of other products.  Also, a retailer like Walmart sells them at 20-30% higher than a smoke shop.

I never said anything about a smoke shops inventory. I said if gas stations can manage their inventory correctly, then theres no reason a major chain like CVS couldnt.

I said the vast majority of smokers dont buy their cigarettes from smoke shops.

Im not a smoker so i could be completely wrong on this assumption, but id be willing to bet most smokers get their cigarettes from gas stations, supermarkets, convenience stores, liquor stores and major retailers.

Especially since i dont think smoke shops are particularly common, convenient, or accessible to most people.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:14:26 PM by dcm1602 »

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
I never said anything about a smoke shops inventory

I said the vast majority of smokers dont buy their cigarettes from smoke shops.

Im not a smoker so i could be completely wrong on this assumption, but id be willing to bet most smokers get their cigarettes from gas stations, supermarkets, convenience stores, liquor stores and major retailers.

I think we are just off topic from my point, and yes the market share for smoke shops and gas stations is far higher than retailers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:21:41 PM by hawk »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
Then what did you bring it up for.  I brought it up because the inventory standards would be different (taking inventory) as that is all they have to count, where as a retailer has 1000's of other products (finding missing product less frequently).  I brought that up because I asked about stealing, and the loss that incurs due to the 30000+ liabilities. 

So again, what did you bring it up for?

I just to clarify, you're arguing that you think CVS probably didnt make much on cigarettes, right ?

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
I just to clarify, you're arguing that you think CVS probably didnt make much on cigarettes, right ?

No, I was asking if the net income made it worth the hassle when you consider the laws and liabilities.

Sorry, you replied after I edited my post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:27:40 PM by hawk »

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
What I find funny is that CVS still sells a ton of processed foods and snacks that are definitely inconsistent with their goal of providing their customers with "health care".
"Wrong!"

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
What I find funny is that CVS still sells a ton of processed foods and snacks that are definitely inconsistent with their goal of providing their customers with "health care".

But the Twizzlers say "Fat Free"!

Tags: