Author Topic: CVS to stop selling Tobacco  (Read 8371 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: CVS to stop selling Tobacco
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
When I did regional sales out of Binghamton, if I was working with a smoker we were either going North for the Onondaga reservation, or South to PA (cheaper than NY).

Hahah yeah figures. I never smoked but I do know the reservations had cheap cigs compared to a regular store. I know a few that made runs to the Shinnecock reservation on eastern Long Island and saved tons of money. All the cops my dad worked with did that.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
Hahah yeah figures. I never smoked but I do know the reservations had cheap cigs compared to a regular store. I know a few that made runs to the Shinnecock reservation on eastern Long Island and saved tons of money. All the cops my dad worked with did that.

Between them and the Matinecock, the Algonquian people have some great tribe names.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
I've never once seen a self checkout at any CVS.

I haven't either.  That doesn't make sense in a drugstore.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

klaximilian

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
They're common here. My local CVS is set up in a way that encourages you to only use the self-checkout. There's only one guy behind the counter, compared to 4 self-checkout stations.
Well freak, I wish we had those. Seems like every time I go to CVS each line is about 5 people deep with customers sorting through an assortment of coupons to save them a good dollar. Love CVS, but checking out is a nightmare.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »
Ive never even heard of CVS with self checkout.

Only places i even know of that does that is grocery stores

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
I haven't either.  That doesn't make sense in a drugstore.

It's not like the pharmacy is automated. And certain items at self-checkout will trigger someone to come over and verify ID or whatever.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Well freak, I wish we had those. Seems like every time I go to CVS each line is about 5 people deep with customers sorting through an assortment of coupons to save them a good dollar. Love CVS, but checking out is a nightmare.

This..... However, Walgreens is worse, I hate that freaking store. Getting prescriptions in Walgreens is akin to shopping @ Walmart, nfw in my book.

Self checkout is great till you get a retard that doesn't understand the concept and you get stuck behind them.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
This..... However, Walgreens is worse, I hate that freaking store. Getting prescriptions in Walgreens is akin to shopping @ Walmart, nfw in my book.

Self checkout is great till you get a retard that doesn't understand the concept and you get stuck behind them.

Nothing better than watching an indignant old lady unsuccessfully dragging the same 2-liter of Diet Coke over the scanner 50 times.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
Nothing better than watching an indignant old lady unsuccessfully dragging the same 2-liter of Diet Coke over the scanner 50 times.

Yeah if you're on your way out. It doesn't look so funny from the opposite vantage point.

klaximilian

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
Leave Grams alone.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
They're still going to need to have staff, and I'd be surprised if the profit from cigarette sales in a day didn't more than cover the cost of a minimum wage employee. Factor in the loss of incidental sales of other products to people who come in for cigarettes but also end up picking up one or two other things and I don't buy that argument.

I've no doubt there is sound commercial reasoning behind it, I just can't figure out what it is.

I would be curious on what the net gain actually is.  When you figure in the fines from those minimum wage employees selling to under age smokers, and theft.  Is it really worth the hassle?  IDK

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
Self checkout is awesome. It's why i would always chose CVS over Duane Reade.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
I would be curious on what the net gain actually is.  When you figure in the fines from those minimum wage employees selling to under age smokers, and theft.  Is it really worth the hassle?  IDK

It's 2 billion dollars a year for cvs alone. I think that more than covers minimum wage employees thefts and fines.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
It's 2 billion dollars a year for cvs alone. I think that more than covers minimum wage employees thefts and fines.

I am talking about CVS, and their 7600 stores.  Of those 7600 stores, and let's say 4 employees per store, you are talking about 30,400 liabilities.  What is the average fine?  How many packs are stolen?  What is the gross profit per pack?  How much is a licence per year (per store)?  A place like CVS probably doesn't inventory as often as a smoke shop or gas station.

Edit:  Next time I will try and find a CVS thread to post in.

Edit:  Those numbers don't include distribution centers.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:56:57 PM by hawk »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
I am talking about CVS, and their 7600 stores.  Of those 7600 stores, and let's say 4 employees per store, you are talking about 30,400 liabilities.  What is the average fine?  How many packs are stolen?  What is the gross profit per pack?  How much is a licence per year (per store)?  A place like CVS probably doesn't inventory as often as a smoke shop or gas station.

Edit:  Next time I will try and find a CVS thread to post in.

Edit:  Those numbers don't include distribution centers.

How many people buy their cigarettes from smoke shops? Id be willing to guess less than 10% of smokers.

If gas stations and convenience stores can make a profit selling cigarettes I cant see why a national retailer wouldnt be able to .

Im also willing to bet CVS has far greater security/responsibility measures than a local gas station.

Also the fact that no major retailer has ever stopped selling tobacco before makes me guess that its pretty profitable 

Tags: