Author Topic: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 61922 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2021, 10:19:01 PM »
How is WR not a high value position?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2021, 10:41:10 PM »
I for one don't want us using two top 10 picks on a wide reciver and a center, I just don't see them as high value positions.  That being said, I couldn't really be mad at JD if he did it.  This team will live and die by the success of ZW, why not do everything you can to make him successful.

I do wonder, is there a top wide reciever we can steal from a team for a 1st round pick?  1 player that comes to mind...
  -  Michael Thomas
     -  he isn't playing this year and they are 7-7
     -  he is coming off a major injury
     -  as good as their defense is, they need to find a qb
The only thing is cap hit is ~20mm
I mentioned a while ago that I wondered if JD would try to get a veteran via trade. If guys don't want to come here, we can trade for them and force them to come.

I have no idea what Thomas' trade value would be at this point after the injury, but he's probably available. The Brandon Marshall trade was great for us.

I've also come around on WR as a premium position. It's no QB, EDGE, or LT, but I might rank it 4th after those 3. In today's NFL, you need receivers who can get open and make plays.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2021, 10:49:16 PM »
How is WR not a high value position?
Behind only rb, dt, and guard it's the position with the most supply.  For that reason I don't see it as a high value position to draft in the top 10.

Out of the top 20 receiving yard leaders this year only 3 are top 10 picks and only 1 is top 5.  The majority a d 2nd and 3rd round players.

I'd rather trade for a probowler or draft 3 2nd/3rd rounders than use a top 10 pick on a wide reciever
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:51:28 PM by insanity »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
draft 3 2nd/3rd rounders than use a top 10 pick on a wide reciever

This is how we ended up with Denzel Mims and Devin Smith.  You can bring up Kupp, Allen, and Adams as top receivers that have gone outside of the first...but what do all of those guys have in common?  Strong QB play, which we don't have yet.

Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Andre Johnson...all worth it.  If there is an elite receiver up top, you take him. 

Guys like Deebo and Diggs slipped significantly in the draft because of injuries.  Kupp too.  We might see that happen with Drake London and John Metchie (if he declares), but if we have a shot to get Wilson another playmaker early, he needs it.

Treylon Burks could be the next Andre Johnson.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2021, 11:12:46 PM »
You can also point to success stories at any position outside the 1st round. Edge seems to be the one position where most of the sack leaders are 1st-round picks. Same with QB and passing stats. And that's part of why those are premium positions.

What positions outside EDGE, QB and OT are more important to draft than WR? Maybe a pass-rushing DT? Maybe CB? It's definitely in the next tier.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2021, 11:15:12 PM »
Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Andre Johnson...all worth it.  If there is an elite receiver up top, you take him.  .

But we aren't getting one of those players at 7.  There isn't a Jamar chase in this draft. 

I'd much prefer to trade a 1st for a probowl wide receiver. A sure thing, who can teach zach a thing or two on day one than roll the dice with a wide receiver.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2021, 11:17:01 PM »
You can also point to success stories at any position outside the 1st round. Edge seems to be the one position where most of the sack leaders are 1st-round picks. Same with QB and passing stats. And that's part of why those are premium positions.

What positions outside EDGE, QB and OT are more important to draft than WR? Maybe a pass-rushing DT? Maybe CB? It's definitely in the next tier.
Cb.  That is it.

If I'm a gm, my strategy is taking a player at one of those 4 positions or I'm trading out and getting value.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2021, 11:17:41 PM »
But we aren't getting one of those players at 7.  There isn't a Jamar chase in this draft. 

I'd much prefer to trade a 1st for a probowl wide receiver. A sure thing, who can teach zach a thing or two on day one than roll the dice with a wide receiver.
Most receivers who would be available in a trade have some issues with them. The Brandon Marshall trade worked out great here, but even he ended up having some locker room issues. Michael Thomas has been a pain in the derriere with the Saints recently.

It's a lot easier said than done to say "trade a 1st for a Pro Bowl wide receiver," especially since the only 1sts we have are in the top 10 right now.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
Cb.  That is it.

If I'm a gm, my strategy is taking a player at one of those 4 positions or I'm trading out and getting value.
Why is CB clearly more important that WR? I think they're probably on the same tier, but I would give the edge to WR. I definitely wouldn't lump it in with QB, edge and OT.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »
There isn't a Jamar chase in this draft.

But there is a Treylon Burks

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:59 PM »
Why is CB clearly more important that WR? I think they're probably on the same tier, but I would give the edge to WR. I definitely wouldn't lump it in with QB, edge and OT.

It's more difficult to be successful at CB in today's NFL.  The game is called in favor of the offense. 

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2021, 11:20:02 PM »
Most receivers who would be available in a trade have some issues with them. The Brandon Marshall trade worked out great here, but even he ended up having some locker room issues. Michael Thomas has been a pain in the derriere with the Saints recently.

It's a lot easier said than done to say "trade a 1st for a Pro Bowl wide receiver," especially since the only 1sts we have are in the top 10 right now.
I understand this and I'm not saying if jd doesn't do this it's a failure.  My preference is to get zach a sure thing rather than rolling the dice in the top 10 at a position that has more supply than almost any position in football.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2021, 11:21:55 PM »
But there is a Treylon Burks
You're taking burks over any of the wide recievers who went top 10 this year?!

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
If Burks tests well at the combine he's absolutely worth a look even in the top 5

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2021, 11:36:57 PM »
It's more difficult to be successful at CB in today's NFL.  The game is called in favor of the offense. 
100%, and that's why I prefer the WR over the CB, but it's close. WR, DT and CB are all pretty similar in terms of value for me.

Tags: