Author Topic: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts  (Read 61912 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Assorted 2022 NFL Mock Drafts
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
If we keep drafting OL in the first round, that unit will fall apart in a couple years because you can't pay them all.

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
If we keep drafting OL in the first round, that unit will fall apart in a couple years because you can't pay them all.

Disagree. You stack the line with first round talent over the course of three or four years, by the time they're all due to get paid you can trade one out and backfill with a new pick because you'll have built a strong enough identity in the unit that you can switch a piece out and the new guy is walking into an environment that is built for him to succeed.

Look at the Colts. Ryan Kelly and Braden Smith are both getting paid handsomely, and Nelson is about to get a excrement ton of cash. My best is they let Fisher walk and backfill with a draft pick, and that line won't miss a beat.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2021, 09:21:42 AM »
Look at the Colts.

The Colts aren't good

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
And spare me with the "they're better than the Jets!"

Everyone but Detroit, Houston, and Jacksonville are better than the Jets

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2021, 09:23:31 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
The Colts aren't good

Taylor is leading the league in rushing behind that oline. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
They also did not draft Eric Fisher and Braden Smith was a second rounder. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2021, 09:26:41 AM »
Taylor is leading the league in rushing behind that oline. 

And their receivers and defensive backs stink, which is why they are 6-6. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
And their receivers and defensive backs stink, which is why they are 6-6. 

Every team has it's weaknesses....and FTR, i'm not advocating that we spend all our premium draft picks on OL in the upcoming draft.

But, building from the LOS outward isn't a bad strategy.  The Colts oline has won them their fair share of games.  I wouldn't classify them as "not good".
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »
They also did not draft Eric Fisher and Braden Smith was a second rounder. 

Your argument was that you can't pay them all, and I'm saying that you don't have to. You just have to build the line well enough to start with that you're able to swap a piece out for a cheaper one without hurting it.

Or maybe you'd rather keep picking up van Rotens and McGoverns in the hope that they'll somehow magically turn into good players, or keep drafting mid round scrubs like Edoga in the hope that they'll turn out to be a hidden gem that somehow everyone missed.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
Your argument was that you can't pay them all, and I'm saying that you don't have to. You just have to build the line well enough to start with that you're able to swap a piece out for a cheaper one without hurting it.

Or maybe you'd rather keep picking up van Rotens and McGoverns in the hope that they'll somehow magically turn into good players, or keep drafting mid round scrubs like Edoga in the hope that they'll turn out to be a hidden gem that somehow everyone missed.

McGovern is fine.  Van Roten has been replaced for literally nothing.  We traded a fourth string tight end for him and now he's back on our practice squad.

If you want to spend high draft picks and eventually top dollar on only one position group, that's bad roster management.  It's what we did with our defensive line for several years and look at the mess we're in now. 

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
Pitt aso had a kicker named Blewitt.
And so did we

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
But, building from the LOS outward isn't a bad strategy.

This seems to be the strategy that Douglas believes in.  I just think it's a significant waste of draft capital to pick a center in the top five.  We're OK at center. 

LDT is also just OK. 

Icky Ekwonu is very similar to AVT.  He can play both tackle and guard.  I think he's worth a top five pick because he's elite at a premium position (tackle) and he can help us at multiple spots. 

People want the next Nick Mangold.  He was drafted at the backend of the first round, where centers should be drafted.  I'd have no problem going Linderbaum if we traded back (or trade back up into the late first).

I just think you have to spend top ten draft picks on premium positions:  EDGE, OT, WR, CB

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
McGovern is fine.  Van Roten has been replaced for literally nothing.  We traded a fourth string tight end for him and now he's back on our practice squad.

If you want to spend high draft picks and eventually top dollar on only one position group, that's bad roster management.  It's what we did with our defensive line for several years and look at the mess we're in now.
This. You can spend multiple 1st on o line but you need to spread it out.  It can't be 3 years in a row, the cap and salary configurations don't allow it.  You need to maximize your return on investment.  Letting a player go because you've invested too much money in the position is poor roster and asset management.

Improving the o line this year is about adding players later in the draft as well as free agency.  If you want to spend a 1st on o lineman it should be next year at the earliest.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »
The only caveat to this is if Joe Douglas think Mekhi is a fat slob who can't play

Tags: