Author Topic: Wilkerson's Contract Status  (Read 32040 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Wilkerson's Contract Status
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
Extend him now as a sign of good faith IMO.

Nickel and coming your best player on D is not a good precedent to set.

Plus I'd actually like us to extend and restructure to absorb more of the hit in the next two years so we can not worry about having room for a future draft contract renewal for say Richardson or a rookie we get this year.

Or a FA move down the line.

We have plenty of money to front load the next yr or two do we can be really active when this team is legitimately a player or two away.

But that's just my opinion

I disagree.  Now I wouldn't tag him in 2016 or anything (that would be nickel and diming), but I'd wait until next year to re-sign him.  Just because we have money doesn't mean we shouldn't look to save money still.  I think we'll see many teams use that extra year extension in the rookie contracts.  A few million dollars here and there allow you to sign important role players.  Hell, we got Ivory for a couple of million per year.

I know we have plenty of money, but you shouldn't just go throwing it around either.  Wilkerson isn't going to hold out or anything over having to wait another year.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
Extend him now as a sign of good faith IMO.

Nickel and coming your best player on D is not a good precedent to set.

Plus I'd actually like us to extend and restructure to absorb more of the hit in the next two years so we can not worry about having room for a future draft contract renewal for say Richardson or a rookie we get this year.

Or a FA move down the line.

We have plenty of money to front load the next yr or two do we can be really active when this team is legitimately a player or two away.

But that's just my opinion

It's not nickel and diming. It's the way these contracts are going to shake out. You're going to see it with other guys in that draft in similar positions.
If it's a universal practice, you can't say it's nickel and diming. It's just how business is conducted.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
I disagree.  Now I wouldn't tag him in 2016 or anything (that would be nickel and diming), but I'd wait until next year to re-sign him.  Just because we have money doesn't mean we shouldn't look to save money still.  I think we'll see many teams use that extra year extension in the rookie contracts.  A few million dollars here and there allow you to sign important role players.  Hell, we got Ivory for a couple of million per year.

I know we have plenty of money, but you shouldn't just go throwing it around either.  Wilkerson isn't going to hold out or anything over having to wait another year.

What I'm saying saves money too. Just from 2016 and beyond.

The draft is cheap. Were not 1 or even. 2 players away from being a legit threat

Why act to save money now when we can have Mo on the cheap or at least bargain deal from 2016 beyond when the team will actually need to utilize the cap space?

I don't feel like saving money the next two years to pau a ton over the life of the deal

Let alone if he keeps it up he will cost 12m/yr on the market by 2016 when he can be locked up for about 8 mil/yr now.

Granted the giant hole in my plan would be a severe injury to Wilkerson but that's every snap every down

I'm not saying its the best move . I just don't like the idea of milking your best talent on the cheap two years to pay a ton down the line.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
What I'm saying saves money too. Just from 2016 and beyond.

The draft is cheap. Were not 1 or even. 2 players away from being a legit threat

Why act to save money now when we can have Mo on the cheap or at least bargain deal from 2016 beyond when the team will actually need to utilize the cap space?

I don't feel like saving money the next two years to pau a ton over the life of the deal

Let alone if he keeps it up he will cost 12m/yr on the market by 2016 when he can be locked up for about 8 mil/yr now.

Granted the giant hole in my plan would be a severe injury to Wilkerson but that's every snap every down

I'm not saying its the best move . I just don't like the idea of milking your best talent on the cheap two years to pay a ton down the line.

I agree we extend him now if it's at a reasonable figure, but we'd still only be delaying it a year (we wouldn't wait till the last year of his contract).

The thing is the figures his agents are probably gonna look at have yet to be done (JJ watt's contract). once there's some precedence that's when real negotiations begin. Until one of these guys with an option year off the new CBA gets signed everyone will be standing around

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
As unlikely as it is to happen, I hate reading stuff like this
2. Mo money for Wilkerson?: It'll be fascinating to see how the Muhammad Wilkerson contract situation plays out -- all the 2011 first-round picks, for that matter. Some in the industry believe Wilkerson, who has outperformed his rookie contract, should play hardball and stage a training camp holdout, if necessary. As I explained last Sunday, the Jets can have him for only about $7.2 million over the next two years, assuming they exercise the fifth-year option in May. He's scheduled to make only $1.2 million in 2014 and, although the '15 option year would be guaranteed against injury, it's still a risk. This is uncharted territory because the '11 draft is the first affected by the new CBA. On Saturday, GM John Idzik declined to reveal his plans for Wilkerson.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/35184/sunday-notes-is-geno-right-qb-for-jets

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
As unlikely as it is to happen, I hate reading stuff like this

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/35184/sunday-notes-is-geno-right-qb-for-jets

You mean one of the best DL in the NFL won't be happy making 1.6 before he gets shafted and locked onto a 2.6 mil 5th yr?

Lol like I said there's a reason I proposed what I did earlier.

He'd more than outperformed his contract

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
You mean one of the best DL in the NFL won't be happy making 1.6 before he gets shafted and locked onto a 2.6 mil 5th yr?

Lol like I said there's a reason I proposed what I did earlier.

He'd more than outperformed his contract

Except hes not getting singled out or anything, its a rule for every single rookie in the first round (it should apply to ALL rookies not just first rounders)

The nfl had to choose between the old model where rookies were shafting the league, having undeserving players getting mammoth contracts and never doing anything. Guys who made 8 + figures a year that never even made mediocre starters.

Does it suck for rookies that now great rookies are underpaid yes, but then theyll just get more cash when their rookie deals expire.

I think its a lot better seeing 4th year great rookies get underpaid, then the excrement that went on under the old CBA.

And the 5th year options are for pretty decent salary bumps. I think it would be more fair if the 5th year options were fully guaranteed tho

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Except hes not getting singled out or anything, its a rule for every single rookie in the first round (it should apply to ALL rookies not just first rounders)

The nfl had to choose between the old model where rookies were shafting the league, having undeserving players getting mammoth contracts and never doing anything. Guys who made 8 + figures a year that never even made mediocre starters.

Does it suck for rookies that now great rookies are underpaid yes, but then theyll just get more cash when their rookie deals expire.

I think its a lot better seeing 4th year great rookies get underpaid, then the excrement that went on under the old CBA.

And the 5th year options are for pretty decent salary bumps. I think it would be more fair if the 5th year options were fully guaranteed tho

I'm not arguing that.

My point is, if he held out I wouldn't complain.

People who outperform 99% of their peers don't settle for , "what everyone else is getting"

Especially when your earning potential is at risk every day at work ie Injuries.

I'm not saying I expect anything cause like Idzik said this is "unchartered territory "

I'd prefer to lock him up now before Watt sets the bar at 11m+ a yr

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
I'm not arguing that.

People who outperform 99% of their peers don't settle for , "what everyone else is getting"

Especially when your earning potential is at risk every day at work ie Injuries.

I'm not saying I expect anything cause like Idzik said this is "unchartered territory "

Of course youd complain, every freaking jet fan would complain and be pissed the freak off if he held out. After that last greedy player of the pink oboe no jet fan wants to see the young best player on their team hold out.

We cant give Wilk a contract, and him holding out would be absolutely horrible for us. Not just for the obvious reasons, but who are two first round picks selected right after Wilk? Coples and Richardson, who are both (presumably) closer to Wilk than most other guys on this team. And probably look up to him/and follow his lead since hes the best player on this team and theyre all DL guys.

Giving Wilk a contract early is going to make it harder to deal with Coples/Richardson. And probably even  Milliner too

So yeah extending Wilk early may cost us only 8-15 million in cap space (over a few years) but then it force our hand with the other rookies too, and then those numbers really might add up.

Wilk is going to easily make over 100 million in his nfl career, he will just have to deal with the new CBA as it currently is.

And hopefully it doesnt get changed after this whole ordeal

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
We cant give Wilk a contract, and him holding out would be absolutely horrible for us.

What? The way to avoid him holding out is to give him a contract. We absolutely can give him a contract, if he's threatening a hold out it makes a lot of sense for this team to lock him up at a decent pay rate. This team can still be extremely competitive paying Wilkerson a lot more than he's making now.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
What? The way to avoid him holding out is to give him a contract. We absolutely can give him a contract, if he's threatening a hold out it makes a lot of sense for this team to lock him up at a decent pay rate. This team can still be extremely competitive paying Wilkerson a lot more than he's making now.

So we should give Richardson, Coples, and probably Milliner premature contracts too?

Paying Wilk earlier than we need to (unless its on rather favorable terms) sets a bad precedent, and makes all future contract extensions with rookies more difficult.

And with Richardson/Coples as two first rounders who both work with Wilkerson a great deal I think we would be playing with fire.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
I'm not arguing that.

That 2011 class is a great1st round class- Cam, AJ, Julio, Peterson, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Robert Quinn, Watt, Wilkerson, Cameron Jordan... We wont be the only team in this position. Wilkerson wont hold out while everyone waits a year for their contract and all of the above players arent going to hold out either simply because this is the way of the new CBA. I highly doubt Wilkerson would hold out, and if all of the other teams exercise the 5th year option there's no reason why we shouldnt either if the goal is just to appease a player.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
Paying Wilk earlier than we need to (unless its on rather favorable terms) sets a bad precedent, and makes all future contract extensions with rookies more difficult.

Not being able to give Wilk a contract because it sets a bad precedent is a bad place to start. It's a reasonable possibility for this offseason, and if it sets a precedent that we pay the men who work hard and bring elite talent to the field than so be it.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »
Not being able to give Wilk a contract because it sets a bad precedent is a bad place to start. It's a reasonable possibility for this offseason, and if it sets a precedent that we pay the men who work hard and bring elite talent to the field than so be it.

Because that worked out so well with Revis

Wilk signed a contract for 4 years + an option for a 5th, and he shouldnt be upset if he has to play it out.

If we have an opportunity to extend him in a favorable manor of course that would be the most ideal scenario for both sides, but if Wilk just wants a monster contract and wants it now.  Theres just no reason to cave in and give it to him because hes great.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »

Actually what I said earlier would make it easier down the line.

I suggested structuring the extension to front load and accelerate into 14 and 15

With the extra cap room we have now I'd like to have Wilkerson below market value when its time to Re Sign Richardson cause at this rate they could both be top 3 at this position when this time comes.

Wilkerson is already number 2

Tags: jets wilkerson