Author Topic: OC Mike LaFired  (Read 51811 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: OC Mike LaFieldGoal
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2022, 05:30:54 PM »
We need to abandon the inside/outside zone from the gun and go under center more.

Hall ran the ball well once on an outside zone.  The rest of those plays were dead in the water.

Our best run plays came out of two back with ...Michael Carter... as a lead blocker.  That looks like a traditional two back sweep to me.

out of the shotgun hall had two decent runs on outside zones. he had one good run for decent yardage running inside sometime in the second or third quarter. but every other run from the gun went up the middle and either went for little yardage or for losses in the backfield lol. we kept going back to it, i don't know. at least we started to run PAs from the gun in the 4th; one of them got conklin very open.

i remember carter running outside once for ~4-5 yards but i forget whether we ran that from the gun or from under center.

i get that our OL is beat up but i'm not sure why we weren't running more designed runs/tosses to the outside from under center. i feel like we did very well with those plays the latter half of the season last year

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2022, 05:47:43 PM »
i remember carter running outside once for ~4-5 yards but i forget whether we ran that from the gun or from under center.

He had two 5 yard runs from an under center formation and then LaFleur followed up both of those plays with empty looks
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2022, 05:15:27 PM »
Rewatching this one...

The sack that went for a huge loss.  Perfectly timed safety blitz by Miami and Wilson tried to get out of it, but what an awful play design.  It looks like GW was faking sweep and then peeling back out for a throwback screen.  Miami had three defenders just sitting there waiting for it if Zach had made the throw.  Losing yards and not making the throw was a blessing in disguise. 

The 4th and 2 in the third quarter:  coming out in offset I-formation then calling a timeout...only to line up in 5 wide empty was some of the dumbest coaching I've seen from this crew.  It was a great, aggressive call to go for it but the playcall stunk.  Conklin was open on the left after shaking free on a quick out but you need to either run the football there or go play action.  No reason to show pass in short yardage like that.  Just bonehead coaching.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2022, 05:21:24 PM »
Berrios is a fun gadget player and he's been a solid return man for us, but why isn't Elijah Moore getting sweeps and reverses?  Get him the football. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »
I really don't like Mike Lafleur. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2022, 05:28:42 PM »
I really don't like Mike Lafleur. 

It felt like someone told him to run the football this week.

Only one screen yesterday and it was to Berrios.  Carter scored a couple TDs (that really belonged to Hall) yesterday.  He's been pretty ineffective as a runner.  We need to get him involved in the passing game. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:43 PM »
It felt like someone told him to run the football this week.

Only one screen yesterday and it was to Berrios.  Carter scored a couple TDs (that really belonged to Hall) yesterday.  He's been pretty ineffective as a runner.  We need to get him involved in the passing game.
I dont like that our OC needs to be told what to do....get rid of this fraud, and bring in someone who's capable of unlocking the talent on this offense.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2022, 05:47:53 PM »
I dont like that our OC needs to be told what to do....get rid of this fraud, and bring in someone who's capable of unlocking the talent on this offense.

I'm week-to-week with MLF.  He made some stupid calls this week, as usual...but he also made some really good ones:  the big pass play to Hall and the play-action deep out to Davis in the fourth

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »
The shotgun formation on 3rd and short needs to stop...its infuriating

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2022, 11:50:58 PM »
This was a big week for LaFleur (and Ulbrich/Saleh). Breece talked about how they knew this play would work from the coaching staff. Same with Sauce on defense with his corner blitz. That is exactly the kind of cohesion you want to see from staff/players.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »
Our struggles in the passing game are getting really concerning. Appears we can't make the simplest of completions. Too many times on pass attempts, Zach runs 30 yards all over the field just to throw it out of bounds or makes a shitty throw.

How much of this is on MLF's garbage plays and play calling and what's on Zach?  I think if the play design is excrement, then Zach can't succeed.

I want to believe in Zach, but if MLF is the second coming of Gase, then we need to move on ASAP.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2022, 09:22:10 AM »
Our struggles in the passing game are getting really concerning. Appears we can't make the simplest of completions. Too many times on pass attempts, Zach runs 30 yards all over the field just to throw it out of bounds or makes a shitty throw.

How much of this is on MLF's garbage plays and play calling and what's on Zach?  I think if the play design is excrement, then Zach can't succeed.

I want to believe in Zach, but if MLF is the second coming of Gase, then we need to move on ASAP.

Zach was holding onto the ball way too long.  He's either taking forever to go through his reads, or his receivers aren't getting open.  I think it's a combination of the former and indecision on the part of Zach.  Zach is killer in the 4th quarter, but his game still needs to improve dramatically.

Either way, it needs to be corrected ASAP.  This falls on MLF and Zach collectively.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
(Warning: I'm probably rambling here)

There were a few issues from yesterday that stood out to me:

-Targeting GW so heavily in the first half, especially when he was covered by Jaire Alexander
-Both Wilsons misjudging where the first down marker was (Zach on his slide, Garrett on at least one of his routes)
-Zach hanging in the pocket too long
-Related to the above, Zach having the athleticism to pull it down and run but not doing it
-Passing on first down on just about every series

I know a couple of those are definitely the work of LaFleur, that last one especially, but some of them could also be Wilson. I also noticed that a few of them disappeared after the second half which I think reasonably can be attributed to adjustments by the coaching staff. I know LaFleur scripts out at least a couple of series in the first half, not sure how many, and the team practices that script during the week so maybe Zach was trying too hard to execute like they did in practice instead of . The passing game opened up slightly in the second half when we started getting other receiver options involved (Usomah, Davis, Carter, Berrios) and the offense in general clicked better as we went more under center and less in the shotgun.

We also saw Zach calm down a bit. Part of his transition from NCAA to NFL starter, especially this season, is that the offense is asking him to change the way he plays. At BYU he seemed to be more of a QB who threw it down the field or on the move and the CS wants him to get more comfortable at hanging in the pocket and as a result his internal clock is getting a little screwed up while he grows into a new role. The reluctance to run could also be part of his knee injury from the preseason. Not sure if it's giving him issues, him deciding to do it less, or the CS telling him to back off of it but there were at least two plays where I thought he had a chance to scramble for a gain and instead wound up throwing it away or attempting a throw to a WR who just wasn't that open in the first place. He's also getting flustered when he's pressured; 1-7 when pressured yesterday as opposed to 9-11 when's kept clean. I'm expecting the quantity of pressured plays will drop as the OLine continues to gel together but one thing he is going to need to do is learn how to calm down under pressure.

I think part of the problem is that we're working with an OC who is only on his second year of the job trying to develop a QB who is only in his second year as a starter. We're going to experience a lot of growing pains with both of them but as of right now with both LaFleur and Zach Wilson we're 4-2, Wilson has no turnovers in the last two games, and our third and fourth quarter performance is getting better. I'm not thrilled with the offense right now but I can see that there are improvements being made and I don't have any reason to believe that we're going to stall here. One thing I think LaFleur is shooting himself in the foot with is that he's trying to call the game like he has a more experienced QB in the game and just wants to keep going until Zach gets it. LaFleur needs to make it easier for Zach earlier in the game but Zach needs to calm down and see the whole field in the first two quarters.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:58:38 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2022, 10:01:31 AM »
I think it's probably also worth noting that the opponent yesterday knows our OC's scheme, tendencies and failings better than anyone else in the league. They talk every week with Matt mentoring him and providing feedback on things he can improve, so there's no way that the GB defense didn't already have a very clear knowledge of a lot of our playbook. Yesterday wasn't so much about catching the defense out by doing something they didn't expect as it was finding things that we could do well enough that they couldn't stop it even when they knew it was coming.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2022, 10:12:54 AM »
This is also our 2nd-best offense in the last decade, so even if we can nitpick certain playcalls, overall, he is doing a good job. We have had bottom-10 quarterback play in the NFL this year, but we've had an effective offense most of the season. We've also been creative and effective in the red zone.

Tags: