Author Topic: OC Mike LaFired  (Read 51815 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: OC Mike LaFieldGoal
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »
then why are you complaining against establishing a run game?
All I said was I don't want to run the ball on 50% of our plays because this isn't 1970. Especially when we've been trailing big in every game.

Of course I would love a solid run game and play action. I would like whatever moves the ball and puts up points. But the best offenses in the NFL these days are based around the passing game, not the running game. The only teams that build around the running game are teams without good quarterbacks (see: Steelers). And teams without good quarterbacks rarely win anything anyway.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2022, 04:31:22 PM »
All I said was I don't want to run the ball on 50% of our plays because this isn't 1970. Especially when we've been trailing big in every game.

Of course I would love a solid run game and play action. I would like whatever moves the ball and puts up points. But the best offenses in the NFL these days are based around the passing game, not the running game. The only teams that build around the running game are teams without good quarterbacks (see: Steelers). And teams without good quarterbacks rarely win anything anyway.

Aaron Rodgers - Dillon/Jones
Tom Brady - Fournette
Pat Mahomes - CEH
Justin Herbert - Ekeler
Josh Allen - Singletary/Cook/Moss
Lamar Jackson - JK Dobbins/GusBus

the elite QBs in this league all have solid run games. You can't focus on the pass and ignore the run.  You have to build both.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2022, 04:42:22 PM »
We're facing an uphill battle establishing the running game with the OLine injuries we have right now. Mitchell on crutches and AVT at LT isn't going to make it easier.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2022, 04:44:02 PM »
Aaron Rodgers - Dillon/Jones
Tom Brady - Fournette
Pat Mahomes - CEH
Justin Herbert - Ekeler
Josh Allen - Singletary/Cook/Moss
Lamar Jackson - JK Dobbins/GusBus

the elite QBs in this league all have solid run games. You can't focus on the pass and ignore the run.  You have to build both.
Thank you for proving my point. Out of the 6 teams you made, 4 of them rank in the top 5 in highest passing rates since the start of last season (Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Bucs).

I agree you need both. But those teams are all built around the passing games.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
We're facing an uphill battle establishing the running game with the OLine injuries we have right now. Mitchell on crutches and AVT at LT isn't going to make it easier.

is mitchell actually on crutches

why are you hurting me

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Thank you for proving my point. Out of the 6 teams you made, 4 of them rank in the top 5 in highest passing rates since the start of last season (Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Bucs).

I agree you need both. But those teams are all built around the passing games.

You don't have a passing game without a run game....that's my point. i didn't prove your point at all.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2022, 04:55:54 PM »
You don't have a passing game without a run game....that's my point. i didn't prove your point at all.
Dude, you literally pointed out 4 of the most unbalanced offenses in the NFL to prove that you need balance.

You think the Bills have a balanced offense? Or the Chiefs?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2022, 05:00:08 PM »
I thought today was a good level of balance, even if the plays weren't always successful.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #323 on: October 02, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »
Dude, you literally pointed out 4 of the most unbalanced offenses in the NFL to prove that you need balance.

You think the Bills have a balanced offense? Or the Chiefs?

The Bills run the ball alot, especially with their QB.

The Chiefs also have a history of running the ball a ton  (K.hunt, D.Williams, CEH...take your pick).

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #324 on: October 02, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »
I thought today was a good level of balance, even if the plays weren't always successful.

i wanted MLF's head on a pike by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »

We need to abandon the inside/outside zone from the gun and go under center more.

Hall ran the ball well once on an outside zone.  The rest of those plays were dead in the water.

Our best run plays came out of two back with ...Michael Carter... as a lead blocker.  That looks like a traditional two back sweep to me.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2022, 05:08:42 PM »
We need to abandon the inside/outside zone from the gun and go under center more.

Hall ran the ball well once on an outside zone.  The rest of those plays were dead in the water.

Our best run plays came out of two back with ...Michael Carter... as a lead blocker.  That looks like a traditional two back sweep to me.

I liked that play.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
i wanted MLF's head on a pike by the end of the 3rd quarter.
Zach missed a lot of throws and the receivers didn't help him.

Overall, I think we had 39 dropbacks (59%) and 27 designed runs (41%). A 60/40 split is slightly more run-heavy than league average. I'm cool with that. We weren't really running or throwing it that well for most of the game, so if we have a game where we're running well, we can run it more. If we're passing well, we can pass it more.

We also were running better out of shotgun than under center entering this week. Haven't seen the splits this week.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2022, 05:19:04 PM »
Zach missed a lot of throws and the receivers didn't help him.

Overall, I think we had 39 dropbacks (59%) and 27 designed runs (41%). A 60/40 split is slightly more run-heavy than league average. I'm cool with that. We weren't really running or throwing it that well for most of the game, so if we have a game where we're running well, we can run it more. If we're passing well, we can pass it more.

We also were running better out of shotgun than under center entering this week. Haven't seen the splits this week.

lol

running better out of the shotgun?!  no we're not.

I give up though...i have no idea what you're watching, but it certainly can't be the game.  I can't argue against make-believe.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2022, 05:25:57 PM »
lol

running better out of the shotgun?!  no we're not.

I give up though...i have no idea what you're watching, but it certainly can't be the game.  I can't argue against make-believe.
4.8 yards per carry out of shotgun compared to 4.1 yards per carry under center entering this week.

I'm not saying that the Jets need to run more out of shotgun than under center.. All I'm saying is it's not as bad as most of you guys are saying.

Tags: