Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76462 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #960 on: January 04, 2021, 12:39:23 PM »
I disagree with this so much. In fact I’d argue a poor QB needs a better line more than an elite one does.

Your priority list is right, but with the caveat that most of the line work is actually going to be done in FA and the QB decision likely happens on draft night.

The QB decision will be made long before draft night.  We have the 2nd pick....the decision will only be altered if by some miracle the Jags decide not to take Lawrence.

I'm not even going to bring up Darnold, because i'm convinced a new HC will want to start fresh with his own guy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:41:15 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #961 on: January 04, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
As long as JD has final say on who has the job, that's all I really care about.

I think the failures of Idzik, Maccagnan and Gase has to do more with them being failures than the order of hiring or who they're reporting to or anything like that.

Regardless of how the reporting structure works, Douglas, a new coach, and a new QB will all be on similar timelines after this offseason. That's the most important thing for me.

His point is two fold.

1. The arranged marriages didn’t work because the best candidates didn’t consider us because they didn’t want to be tied to the others
2. Forcing things made it harder to work and subsequently increased the likelihood of failure in the situations at hand.

I personally don’t care the ORDER of the structure (Owner -> GM -> HC or Owner -> HC -> GM) but the dual structure doesn’t function in my eyes, at least not for us.

Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #962 on: January 04, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »
The QB decision will be made long before draft night.  We have the 2nd pick....the decision will only be altered if my some miracle the Jags decide not to take Lawrence.

I'm not even going to bring up Darnold, because i'm convinced a new HC will want to start fresh with his own guy.

I meant we can’t make the final call until draft night. Because there’s no way in hell Douglas moves off the 2 spot early if a trade is his game, especially if there’s the slightest chance Lawrence might be there.

I just mean we aren’t going to be fixing QB in FA, it’s either the draft or nothing.
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #963 on: January 04, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
The line means nothing if you have a Nate Sudfeld type retard taking the snaps behind it.

Counterpoint: a mediocre QB with all day in the pocket will hit receivers more consistently than the second coming of Dan Marino with a face full of linebacker after two seconds.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #964 on: January 04, 2021, 12:44:08 PM »
I disagree with this so much. In fact I’d argue a poor QB needs a better line more than an elite one does.

Your priority list is right, but with the caveat that most of the line work is actually going to be done in FA and the QB decision likely happens on draft night.

Agree. Look at what Sanchez could do with a good line as opposed to Darnold with a terrible one. Build a team, then you can win with any number of QBs. You can't know if you have the right QB if the rest of your team is garbage.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #965 on: January 04, 2021, 12:45:34 PM »
Counterpoint: a mediocre QB with all day in the pocket will hit receivers more consistently than the second coming of Dan Marino with a face full of linebacker after two seconds.

Counterpoint: then that mediocre QB develops an ego, wants to get overpaid as pieces of his oline leave for FA, and gets exposed the following season.  Give me the elite QB.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #966 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:46 PM »
Counterpoint: then that mediocre QB develops an ego, wants to get overpaid as pieces of his oline leave for FA, and gets exposed the following season.  Give me the elite QB.

Why does this have to happen?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #967 on: January 04, 2021, 12:48:03 PM »
Why does this have to happen?

because the salary cap hates us all

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #968 on: January 04, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
In addition to oline discussion.  I would trade 5 elite olinemen for 1 Dante Scarnacchia/Bill Callahan.

Coaching matters.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #969 on: January 04, 2021, 12:51:24 PM »

This is the Ben Shapiro tweet of roster takes.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #970 on: January 04, 2021, 12:54:09 PM »
This is the Ben Shapiro tweet of roster takes.

that hurt

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #971 on: January 04, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »
Doug Marrone HC
Manish Mehta OC

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #972 on: January 04, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
because the salary cap hates us all

Good teams have been able to invest significantly in their offensive lines and either stay within the cap or at least kick the can down the road.

If the choice is Wilson or Fields at #2, not taking advantage of their rookie contract window and investing significantly in at least one more interior lineman on top of keeping Elflein in the fold would be a huge mistake.

We need to spend big money this off-season and I'm with JE in that it starts up front, as deep as the free agent class at receiver appears to be. We have enough money to go get both.

Doug Marrone HC
Manish Mehta OC

Ahahahahahaha

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #973 on: January 04, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
that hurt

Then stop making up scenarios just so you can get angry about them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:03:39 PM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #974 on: January 04, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »
Then stop making up scenarios just so you can get angry about them.

I like to keep JE busy with brain teasers. 

Tags: