Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76470 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #750 on: December 27, 2020, 08:52:47 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #751 on: December 27, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
50s
One name to consider when discussing head coach possibilities: #Ravens DC Wink Martindale. He’s considered to be one of the top candidates, and this season has only bolstered that. His staff targets include #Clemson OC Tony Elliott, and former HCs Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith.

Not a fan of operation "Dink in the Wink" for HC....but i love his staff targets (especially if by some miracle we get back in the Trevor sweepstakes)
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #752 on: December 27, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
26s
So much of this year’s searches figure to be about culture. Martindale could build it like Baltimore… and he’s led the NFL’s #1 defense since 2018. A finalist for the #Giants last year, the #Jets may take a look at him if they make a move.

aaaaaand....there it is.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #753 on: December 27, 2020, 09:05:08 AM »
Schefter also was giving some Mike Kafka hype today as a potential coach. His name has been bandied about in the past. Not sure how I would feel about a QB I remember watching in college being the head coach of my NFL team, but if Steve Nash and Jason Kidd can coach my NBA team, why not..

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #754 on: December 27, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »

aaaaaand....there it is.

I’d much rather Saleh from San Fran if we go that route (former DC - culture builder, CEO of a football team route)
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #755 on: December 27, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
If he does a great enough job then at least one of two things should happen:

1.  There should be a replacement on the current staff that you can promote.

2.  The job will be very appealing for new candidates because the foundation is in place. 

If the Jets have coordinators good enough for head coaching jobs then we shouldn't mind losing them (unless they end up in the division)

A completely serious question

When was the last time (if ever) the Jets had an assistant that was hired away from us to be someone else’s HC? I know Pettine ended up a HC in Cleveland but that wasn’t directly from the Jets. But otherwise I don’t know that anyone has in the history of our franchise. That’s immeasurably sad, but also given our lack of success in 50 years, that’s not super surprising either

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #756 on: December 27, 2020, 09:22:12 AM »
I’d much rather Saleh from San Fran if we go that route (former DC - culture builder, CEO of a football team route)

Wink's choices for a staff (if he could land them) are very appealing....and would absolutely help stabalize this lockeroom

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #757 on: December 27, 2020, 09:40:13 AM »
Schefter also was giving some Mike Kafka hype today as a potential coach. His name has been bandied about in the past. Not sure how I would feel about a QB I remember watching in college being the head coach of my NFL team, but if Steve Nash and Jason Kidd can coach my NBA team, why not..

Kafka over Bieniemy 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #758 on: December 27, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Wink's choices for a staff (if he could land them) are very appealing....and would absolutely help stabalize this lockeroom

Sure but Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith aren’t long for the coaching game, a year or 2 or 3 at best would be guess for how long they’d be around. Sure we can stabilize (maybe) but right as we are (theoretically) ready to compete we lose them.

Also I’d rather the better coach/coordinator in Saleh over Wink anyways

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #759 on: December 27, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »

If you're going for a CEO type, why does this matter so much?  Also, Wink's defenses in Baltimore have been every bit as good as Saleh's in San Francisco.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #760 on: December 27, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
Sure but Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith aren’t long for the coaching game, a year or 2 or 3 at best would be guess for how long they’d be around. Sure we can stabilize (maybe) but right as we are (theoretically) ready to compete we lose them.

What?

Lovie and Marvin are both 62 years old.  You know who else is 62?  Andy Reid.

Wade Phillips is still one of the best DCs in the league...he's 73.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #761 on: December 27, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »
Wade Phillips is not in the league

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #762 on: December 27, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »
Wade Phillips is not in the league
He wants to come back..and he's an elite DC

He just needs to make sure he doesn't die.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #763 on: December 27, 2020, 10:00:56 AM »
What?

Lovie and Marvin are both 62 years old.  You know who else is 62?  Andy Reid.

Wade Phillips is still one of the best DCs in the league...he's 73.

You’re telling me you expect Marvin Lewis to be a dc for whatever team hires him this offseason in 4 years? And Lovie Smith to be a position coach for that team 4 years from now?

I’ll admit Marvin and Lovies days as a HC may be over, but Whichever one would be Martindales position coach (can’t both be DCs) isn’t still in that role in 4 years.

And Andy Reid is a HC making far more money than a DC or position coach, and he has the best QB in the league which will make anyone want to stay in the game a lot longer than they “need” to. As for Wade Phillips there aren’t that many guys who coach that long. Will Lewis and Lovie be the exception? I suppose it’s possible

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #764 on: December 27, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
If you're going for a CEO type, why does this matter so much?  Also, Wink's defenses in Baltimore have been every bit as good as Saleh's in San Francisco.

I just assume that because one has performed better at his current job, he will do so at his next one.

But to be fair you are right Baltimore and SF have had two of the top defenses since their respective DCs took over. I just prefer Saleh.

Tags: