Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76468 times)

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #735 on: December 23, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
Optimism is on the rise.  The only thing that could squash that is if by some miracle Gase keeps his job.  I don't see it happening.

Real talk: share with me what gives you optimism with this franchise.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #736 on: December 23, 2020, 09:20:35 AM »
There is no case to bring Adam Gase back.

That said, I do wonder if Gase watches all these different plays where there are wide open receivers and Sam just ignores them and wonders how his career would have gone if Darnold just made the throws he was supposed to.

Yeah if only he had a QB like Ryan Tannehill
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #737 on: December 23, 2020, 09:28:11 AM »
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
1h
ICYMI: Big news on the head coaching search front, with virtual interviews now allowed with permission starting today. I’m told a number of teams expressed the feeling: With no travel, why wait? Hence the surprise jump start on a unique process this year.

Might be in the Jets' best interest to fire Gase sooner rather than later.
They found a new way to do Rooney interviews even less seriously.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #738 on: December 23, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »

There is no case to bring Adam Gase back.

But green team bad :(

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #739 on: December 23, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
Real talk: share with me what gives you optimism with this franchise.

-Joe Douglas is a clear upgrade at GM
-Gase should be fired in less that 2 weeks
-tons of cap space
-top 2 pick
-4 first rounders over the next 2 drafts
-6 picks in the top 100 this year
-Zach Wilson looks quite good and could very well be a nice consolation prize if we lose out on TLawrence.
-We have some building blocks finally (franchise LT, Mims, Quinnen)

it's not all doom and gloom
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #740 on: December 23, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
This should light some fires...

Gase in his postgame is the most I've liked him in 2 years. He actually seems like he cares about his players and tries really hard to win.

It's just unfortunate that he's an awful coach.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #741 on: December 23, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »
This should light some fires...

Gase in his postgame is the most I've liked him in 2 years. He actually seems like he cares about his players and tries really hard to win.

It's just unfortunate that he's an awful coach.

he is one of the most clueless people i have ever gotten to witness, in any position, in any field, in any capacity, in my entire life. he is more lost and clueless than rob manfred

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #742 on: December 26, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
So I know the basic thinking is we want an offensive HC to "develop the QB," and that the valid response is that the HC just needs to run the big picture and let coordinators and position coaches do their jobs... but then if your assistant coach does a great job he'll probably get a shot at HC elsewhere and maybe we'd be better off if our entrenched HC was hands on with development... I feel like I'm chasing my tail.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:33:29 PM by Badger »

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #743 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
So I know the basic thinking is we want an offensive HC to "develop the QB," and that the valid response is that the HC just needs to run the big picture and let coordinators and position coaches do their jobs... but then if your assistant coach does a great job he'll probably get a shot at HC elsewhere... I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

let's just start out with one good year where we have a QB prospect that we actually support with a good QB and OC

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #744 on: December 26, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »
So I know the basic thinking is we want an offensive HC to "develop the QB," and that the valid response is that the HC just needs to run the big picture and let coordinators and position coaches do their jobs... but then if your assistant coach does a great job he'll probably get a shot at HC elsewhere and maybe we'd be better off if our entrenched HC was hands on with development... I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

If he does a great enough job then at least one of two things should happen:

1.  There should be a replacement on the current staff that you can promote.

2.  The job will be very appealing for new candidates because the foundation is in place. 

If the Jets have coordinators good enough for head coaching jobs then we shouldn't mind losing them (unless they end up in the division)
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #745 on: December 26, 2020, 10:37:24 PM »
let's just start out with one good year where we have a QB prospect that we actually support with a good QB and OC
I didn't hate the Darnold/Bates combo.

I think for Sanchez/Schotty most people were already half-turned on Schotty by 2009.

Geno/Mornhinweg... lol no

In 2002 with Pennington/Hackett had most people turned on Hackett yet or did that start in 2003-04?

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #746 on: December 26, 2020, 10:54:54 PM »
I didn't hate the Darnold/Bates combo.

I think for Sanchez/Schotty most people were already half-turned on Schotty by 2009.

Geno/Mornhinweg... lol no

In 2002 with Pennington/Hackett had most people turned on Hackett yet or did that start in 2003-04?

if my memory serves me correctly, paul hackett was our OC during the 01 season. we lost a game where he tried to run two plays in 13 seconds in the redzone and we couldn't pull it off. i was 11 years old at the time and even i was thinking about wtf we were trying to do there. i think that's when i turned on hackett

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #747 on: December 26, 2020, 11:03:27 PM »
People hated Hackett during his first year here with Herm, when Vinny was the starter. Once Pennington replaced Vinny the offense took off and people didn't hate Hackett anymore.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #748 on: December 27, 2020, 05:53:57 AM »
I always enjoyed that the play the Jets ran during the infamous Joe Namath-Suzy Kolber interview was a draw play by Hackett. He loved the 2nd-and-long and 3rd-and-long draw.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #749 on: December 27, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30605057/sources-nfl-teams-ask-urban-meyer-interest-return-coaching

I know he has health issues, and I know he is a little bit shady sometimes, but I would take Urban. I also think he would hire a good coaching staff around him, which is one thing that I really like about him. Obviously, we wouldn't get Ryan Day, but if we like the idea of Ryan Day, why not hire the guy who helped mentor Ryan Day?

Tags: