Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76472 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #585 on: December 07, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »
Dick Lebeau is like 110 years old.....he can still coach the D.  LFG
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #586 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »
Ftr, there no way Cowher is gonna freak up his legacy by joining this shitshow team.

We're gonna end up hiring coach Klein and farmer Fran because of their brilliant offensive minds and all of the coaches backing then up.

Sent from fire adam gase.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #587 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
Ftr, there no way Cowher is gonna freak up his legacy by joining this shitshow team.

We're gonna end up hiring coach Klein and farmer Fran because of their brilliant offensive minds and all of the coaches backing then up.

Sent from fire adam gase.

The Farmer Fran nipple pinch package of plays are elite.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #588 on: December 07, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »
Bill Cowher, are you kidding me? No. I don't want a guy who hasn't coached in 13 years.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #589 on: December 07, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Bill Cowher, are you kidding me? No. I don't want a guy who hasn't coached in 13 years.
Cowher-Henderson-Bates LFG

I wanted to use Cottrell for this but apparently he's technically employed as a coach right now.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #590 on: December 07, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »
Not wanting Bell who hadn't played in a year was understandable. Sitting around for a year isn't good for an athlete.

But a coach? I can maybe see the argument that the game has passed a coach by, but it's not like Cowher has been sitting on the back porch chugging Bud Lights for the past decade. He's been actively breaking down film and understanding the game as it has evolved.

Cowher is who I wanted to replace Mangini. The only reason I stopped pining for him is because I really thought he was done with coaching. Throw all the money at him right now if he's even vaguely considering coming here.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #591 on: December 07, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
I thought Cowher was coming here when they fired Mangini.

Fool me once shame on me fool me twice...strike three.

I'm certainly not opposed to it. Vermeil was out of the game for 16 years and that turned out ok.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #592 on: December 07, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »
Iirc, Woody went on vacation for two weeks after firing Mangini on Black Monday.  That Johnson work ethic is the only reason Gase hasn't been fired yet.  Too much hassle.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #593 on: December 07, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
Not wanting Bell who hadn't played in a year was understandable. Sitting around for a year isn't good for an athlete.

But a coach? I can maybe see the argument that the game has passed a coach by, but it's not like Cowher has been sitting on the back porch chugging Bud Lights for the past decade. He's been actively breaking down film and understanding the game as it has evolved.

Cowher is who I wanted to replace Mangini. The only reason I stopped pining for him is because I really thought he was done with coaching. Throw all the money at him right now if he's even vaguely considering coming here.
Is sitting around 14 years good for a coach?

Look, if you tell me Cowher is studying football all the time, breaking down film, talking to assistant coaches, running camps, and doing all of that, maybe you can sell me. But do we have any proof of that? Most of his assistants from when he was a HC are either retired or out of the NFL. What's his coaching staff look like?

This just screams like a horrible Jets idea to make a big splash without having any clue of how to actually win.

He would literally be coaching a new generation of players, and he'd be the 5th-oldest coach in the league.

The case for Cowher is that he would be a Parcells-type figure who would lead us out of the doldrums and give us credibility. But 15 years ago is a long time in the NFL, and from what I can tell, Cowher hasn't done nearly as much to stay active in the game as a Jon Gruden has, and it's not like Gruden has been a rousing success this time around either.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #594 on: December 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »
I thought Cowher was coming here when they fired Mangini.

Fool me once shame on me fool me twice...strike three.

I'm certainly not opposed to it. Vermeil was out of the game for 16 years and that turned out ok.
Vermeil was awful with the Rams until his 3rd year when he hired a new offensive coordinator in Mike Martz and got a new QB in Kurt Warner.

If you tell me that Bill Cowher is bringing in some fresh young offensive mind like Mike Martz was or Joe Brady is, then I can get on board. But if he's hiring some retread coordinators and trying to bring back the early 2000's Steelers, I'm not on board.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #595 on: December 07, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
Is sitting around 14 years good for a coach?

Look, if you tell me Cowher is studying football all the time, breaking down film, talking to assistant coaches, running camps, and doing all of that, maybe you can sell me. But do we have any proof of that? Most of his assistants from when he was a HC are either retired or out of the NFL. What's his coaching staff look like?

This just screams like a horrible Jets idea to make a big splash without having any clue of how to actually win.

He would literally be coaching a new generation of players, and he'd be the 5th-oldest coach in the league.

The case for Cowher is that he would be a Parcells-type figure who would lead us out of the doldrums and give us credibility. But 15 years ago is a long time in the NFL, and from what I can tell, Cowher hasn't done nearly as much to stay active in the game as a Jon Gruden has, and it's not like Gruden has been a rousing success this time around either.

One would assume he studies film as part of his job as an NFL analyst.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #596 on: December 07, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
One would assume he studies film as part of his job as an NFL analyst.
Right, but the amount of in-depth film analysis needed to be an NFL Today studio analyst covering big-picture storylines and a play-by-play analyst for a live game are completely different. Granted, some analysts mail it in with their tape study, too, but Gruden clearly did not.

I admit, I don't know how much Cowher does. Maybe Cowher is grinding All-22s all the time. I'm just skeptical.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #597 on: December 07, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
Vermeil was awful with the Rams until his 3rd year when he hired a new offensive coordinator in Mike Martz and got a new QB in Kurt Warner.

If you tell me that Bill Cowher is bringing in some fresh young offensive mind like Mike Martz was or Joe Brady is, then I can get on board. But if he's hiring some retread coordinators and trying to bring back the early 2000's Steelers, I'm not on board.

I'm not saying that they win a Super Bowl or have that prolific of an offense, but the idea that the Rams weren't primed that year to take a significant step forward with Trent Green at Quarterback is incorrect.

And then Dick up and left, went to Kansas City and once against oversaw the most potent offense in football.

FWIW, and this is speaking to your point, he can't bring back a lot of his Pittsburgh assistants unless he feels like coaxing a lot of guys out of retirement.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #598 on: December 07, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »

I'm intrigued with a potential Cowher hire. I think he'd stabalize this team across the board.

Like you, i'm not a fan of retreads either.  But Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, and Andy Reid are still considered upper-echelon coaches in this league....all three have been dominating this league for awhile now and are from Cowher's era.  I was going to include Gruden, but he's still finding his groove.  Derek Carr has certainly salvaged his career under Gruden though.

It's not the worst idea.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #599 on: December 07, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
vermeil was awful with the rams until he hired gase to study and implement how to run and implement wheel routes with warner and faulk

Tags: