Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76462 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #556 on: December 06, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #557 on: December 06, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/jim-harbaugh-eyes-a-potential-nfl-return/

We better not

Not my first choice, but I wouldn't be mad. Not sure if the Johnsons will be attracted to his weird intensity though. Might feel a bit Gase-like.

I'm assuming it will be Woody running the show again by then anyway, I can't see any way Biden leaves him out in London.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #558 on: December 06, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
Not my first choice, but I wouldn't be mad.

How can you still be on board with this guy after what's happened at Michigan so far this season? 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #559 on: December 06, 2020, 10:51:03 AM »
How can you still be on board with this guy after what's happened at Michigan so far this season? 

His star has definitely lost a bit of its shine and he would be a more attractive candidate if we were doing a reclamation job on Sam rather than moving on to the next rookie to freak up, but he still ticks a number of the boxes that matter to me (history of running a full program, prior success in the NFL, proven expertise with QBs).

I think he gets a partial pass for Michigan given the quality of players he was given to work with. When the best QB you've had in 6 years is Shea Patterson and the best wideout is Donovan Peoples-Jones it's hard to see what more he could have done other than recruit better, which I accept is at least partly on him but also not something that's really an issue in the NFL. In his time they've had 5 skill players drafted to the NFL and the best one is Jake Butt. Harbaugh gets his share of the blame for that, both in recruitment and development, but I don't look at those teams and think that someone else could have done a lot more with them. They've had great defenses and offensive lines, but poor skill players.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #560 on: December 06, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
I think he gets a partial pass for Michigan given the quality of players he was given to work with. When the best QB you've had in 6 years is Shea Patterson and the best wideout is Donovan Peoples-Jones it's hard to see what more he could have done other than recruit better

Here's the thing:  Harbaugh and his staff recruited these players.  They were highly touted recruits, some of the best in the country, and he did nothing with them.

He did not develop the talent that he handpicked. 

Dylan McCaffrey was a Top 5 QB prospect in 2017.  Wasted. 

Joe Milton was a Top 10 QB prospect in 2018.  He looks awful.

Cade McNamara was a Top 7 QB prospect in 2019.  He isn't any good.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:00:51 AM by Heismanberg »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #561 on: December 06, 2020, 10:58:44 AM »
Harbaugh had a hand in Luck's development at Stanford too.

I'm impartial on Harbaugh currently...but I thought that was worth noting when it came to his history with developing QBs
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #562 on: December 06, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
Leave Gase one more year to tank again so we can amass record amounts of picks in 2022.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #563 on: December 06, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
Harbaugh had a hand in Luck's development at Stanford too.

I'm impartial on Harbaugh currently...but I thought that was worth noting when it came to his history with developing QBs

That's fine, but that's literally it at the college level. 

He developed Josh Johnson and Andrew Luck.  The rest have been terrible. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #564 on: December 06, 2020, 11:05:39 AM »
Here's the thing:  Harbaugh and his staff recruited these players.  They were highly touted recruits, some of the best in the country, and he did nothing with them.

He did not develop the talent that he handpicked. 

Dylan McCaffrey was a Top 5 QB prospect in 2017.  Wasted. 

Joe Milton was a Top 10 QB prospect in 2018.  He looks awful.

Cade McNamara was a Top 7 QB prospect in 2019.  He isn't any good.

Sure, and I'm not really trying to defend Harbaugh's time at Michigan - he has clearly done some things poorly. But something like 50% of 5 star prospects never get drafted so it's not like any of these guys were slam dunks.

When he has had his hands on a top quality player, he's got the best out of them. Luck, Smith, Kaepernick are all big marks in his credit ledger.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #565 on: December 06, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
Luck, Smith, Kaepernick are all big marks in his credit ledger.

That was a long time ago too.  The game could have easily passed him by, because he sure as hell hasn't developed a quarterback at Michigan and he's had a lot of talent to work with. 

The players I listed and Shea Patterson were top quality prospects and he's wasted each and every one of them. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:35 AM »
People want to blame Gase for Tannehill every chance they get, but they're willing to give Harbaugh a pass because he made Alex Smith not look like excrement ten years ago.

He's done nothing with the QBs he's coached since Colin Kaepnerick. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
People want to blame Gase for Tannehill every chance they get, but they're willing to give Harbaugh a pass because he made Alex Smith not look like excrement ten years ago.

He's done nothing with the QBs he's coached since Colin Kaepnerick.
I blame Gase for a lot more than just Tannehill. And he deserves every bit of it.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »
I blame Gase for a lot more than just Tannehill. And he deserves every bit of it.

Gase is terrible, but Harbaugh has done absolutely nothing over the past few years to deserve another shot as a HC in the NFL.  His performance at Michigan has absolutely tanked his credibility as a supposed QB guru. 

I'd be fine with giving him as a shot as a coordinator, but even then it would be a bit of a head scratcher. 

He's a nutjob control freak.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #569 on: December 06, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
Gase is terrible, but Harbaugh has done absolutely nothing over the past few years to deserve another shot as a HC in the NFL.  His performance at Michigan has absolutely tanked his credibility as a supposed QB guru. 

I'd be fine with giving him as a shot as a coordinator, but even then it would be a bit of a head scratcher. 

He's a nutjob control freak.
Harbaugh's personality is concerning.  I'd probably pass. But what he did to jim Schwartz is still hilarious.

I still like:

Joe Brady
Brian Daboll
Arthur Smith
Matt Campbell
Robert Saleh

Tags: