Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76463 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »
My suspicion is that it's less to do with the NFL execs or indeed anyone else being specifically racist, and more to do with the fact that so many coaches work their way up from being assistants, interns and grunts, and that so many of those roles in schools and even NFL teams are given out based upon someone's daddy having worked with someone else's and some strings getting pulled. For the vast majority of minority coaches that route isn't available, so success as a player is pretty much the only option - I haven't looked at the numbers, but it would be my suspicion that the proportion of minority coaches who played at a very high level would be much higher than the number of white coaches who did. So it's not a problem so much of execs not wanting to hire minorities as much as it is minorities not getting the ground level opportunities, because they don't have the connections to get them.

This makes a fair bit of sense. I don't have a clue how to incentivize this, and frankly teams in need of draft capital could just go out on the street and grab 10 minorities to hire them as ground level grunt workers to acquire measly draft capital (6th and 7th rounders) and that's almost certainly far worse than what is happening right now.

Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
My suspicion is that it's less to do with the NFL execs or indeed anyone else being specifically racist, and more to do with the fact that so many coaches work their way up from being assistants, interns and grunts, and that so many of those roles in schools and even NFL teams are given out based upon someone's daddy having worked with someone else's and some strings getting pulled. For the vast majority of minority coaches that route isn't available, so success as a player is pretty much the only option - I haven't looked at the numbers, but it would be my suspicion that the proportion of minority coaches who played at a very high level would be much higher than the number of white coaches who did. So it's not a problem so much of execs not wanting to hire minorities as much as it is minorities not getting the ground level opportunities, because they don't have the connections to get them.

This is a good post addressing the root cause.

There isn’t a pool of talented black HC candidates being denied HC opportunities. There’s a lack of experienced/desirable candidates - at least based on league perception right now. For that we need to look at the hiring practices for low level NFL assistant jobs and NCAA HC/Coord/Assistant jobs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:54:06 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
To see where NFL players end up after their on-field careers, LinkedIn scoured their database to find the professions for former NFLers. The job networking site found 3,272 former NFL players with profiles, up from roughly 2,000 in 2013. The top profession for former NFL players is small business owner with 20% of those on LinkedIn labelled as entrepreneurs. Sales (18%), coaching/fitness professional (9%) and financial services (8%) were also popular landing spots.

Recently retired players are more likely to stay in sports or coaching, while players out of the league for more than 10 years are likely to work with non-profits and smaller organizations per LinkedIn. For those 20 years out of the game, entrepreneurship is the ticket with 31% having their own business compared to 11% for those retired less than five years.

Forbes 2017

Maybe coaching just isn’t a desired profession for most retired players. It’s hard work and usually takes many years of dedication and experience to work your way to the top level. Some guys are ready to be done with the day to day grind of football life after retirement.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:02:22 PM by SixFeetDeep »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2020, 03:03:20 PM »
One other college coach I like: Justin Wilcox of Cal.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »

Considering I literally posted about the hurdle of the good ole boys network like a day or so ago, I don't disagree.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
One other college coach I like: Justin Wilcox of Cal.

No no no
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2020, 03:20:15 PM »
Considering I literally posted about the hurdle of the good ole boys network like a day or so ago, I don't disagree.

Yes, I wasn't arguing with you; I was following on from your comment as to NFL execs may or may not be racist but we don't know. I don't think they are. As SFD more succinctly put it, there probably aren't enough qualified minority HC candidates because there probably aren't enough minorities getting the opportunity to work as NFL video interns and college level assistants and high school position coaches, so there aren't the volume of career coaches getting to climb the ladder off a body of work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:22:01 PM by Johnny English »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
Arthur Smith's dad is the founder of FedEx. 

He is the heir to a billion dollar company. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
Arthur Smith's dad is the founder of FedEx. 

He is the heir to a billion dollar company. 

At least he'll deliver a Lombardi trophy to  this franchise on time.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #460 on: November 18, 2020, 07:31:46 AM »
Amazing how far Harbaugh has fallen among my preferences.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #461 on: November 18, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
Amazing how far Harbaugh has fallen among my preferences.

SBTG
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #462 on: November 18, 2020, 07:58:52 AM »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #463 on: November 18, 2020, 08:24:06 AM »
Not by much

Let's just hope

a) Gase gets fired
b) JD and the Johnsons cast a wide net in their search.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #464 on: November 18, 2020, 08:58:13 AM »
Not by much

Sorry but who the freak are you kidding with that?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tags: