Author Topic: Jets new HC search  (Read 76468 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Jets new HC search
« Reply #405 on: November 10, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
This

phase 2 will be handing out 2nd round picks for developing female coaches.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #406 on: November 10, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
eh...you shouldn't need a system like this. If you're the best candidate, you're the best candidate....regardless of skin color.

The problem with the current system is that every team interviewing HCs can just interview a black member of their coaching staff to bypass the Rooney Rule. 

Sometimes the best candidates aren't even being interviewed.  Things have to be changed. 

There's no reason the NFL has so few black HCs. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #407 on: November 10, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »
Is there anyone in 2020's NFL that is not going to hire who they think is the best coach because of their race?

This.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #408 on: November 10, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #409 on: November 10, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »
The problem with the current system is that every team interviewing HCs can just interview a black member of their coaching staff to bypass the Rooney Rule. 

Sometimes the best candidates aren't even being interviewed.  Things have to be changed. 

There's no reason the NFL has so few black HCs. 

The Rooney Rule is stupid too.

how do you know the best candidates arent' being interviewed? Who's being left out in the cold?

I don't think the NFL needs to meet a quota on skin color....that's absurd.

I used to think Leslie Frazier was getting blackballed, until he finally got his chance, and sucked. 
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #410 on: November 10, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
And before anyone makes this about race...it's not.  I don't care what color you are.  I think guys like Dungy, Tomlin, the late Dennis Green are great HC coaches.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2020, 04:28:31 PM »
Cal McNair

Ignoring the fact that their current head coach is actually black because he's only there on an interim basis and there's no shot he gets the head job, I struggle with the idea that if DeShawn is pushing for him and if they think he can have success away from Reid and Mahomes that Eric Bieniemy isn't the guy in Houston.

MB already brought him up, but if Tony Dungy announced his intention to return to the sideline next year, I have to imagine Cal is picking up the phone to talk to his agent.

I could be wrong, I don't know what's in people's hearts especially considering the illogical nature of racial animus.

The Rooney Rule is stupid too.

how do you know the best candidates arent' being interviewed? Who's being left out in the cold?

I don't think the NFL needs to meet a quota on skin color....that's absurd.

I used to think Leslie Frazier was getting blackballed, until he finally got his chance, and sucked. 

Remember when the conventional wisdom was that Teddy Cottrell wasn't getting opportunities because he was black? It couldn't have possibly been that he freaking sucked.

Marvin Lewis got jobbed the year the Ravens D carried them to a title, but he got jobbed into being paid the highest paid coordinator in the league for a year before being hired by Cincy. Was that because of his race? Because of when he was available to interview given their playoff run? I have no idea. As far as I can recall-Herm wasn't even a coordinator when we hired him.

I think a large part of it was/is the symptom of the NFL's good old boys network with guys getting recycled as position coaches in perpetuity.
I'd be interested to see in terms of statistics how much the number of position coaches in the NFL has gone up in terms of minority representation with the idea being the higher that number goes in the coming seasons and the more experienced gained by this influx of coaching talent, the more you'll see attractive candidates and more black head coaches.

For whatever reason, there seems to be this obsession as well with offensive minded coaches who come from a background of being a quarterback coach. Like any other fad, once the league gets away from that you'll hopefully see more guys make the jump like Anthony Lynn did (from rb coach to o-coordinator to head coach in relatively short order).

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
Middle class white dudes banging on about the perfect meritocracy always make me laugh.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
Looking forward to the implementation of a program to give compensation to teams that keep white cornerbacks on the roster. RIP Jason Sehorn.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »
Middle class white dudes banging on about the perfect meritocracy always make me laugh.

Wait a minute...i'm looking at this wrong

All this is doing is encouraging more development among minority coaches within the NFL.  I'm all for this.

Having said that, i still don't think additional picks should be awarded.  Because this type of development should be happening regardless....teams should be doing this despite the incentives.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:07:39 PM by MBGreen »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2020, 05:22:12 PM »
Wait a minute...i'm looking at this wrong

All this is doing is encouraging more development among minority coaches within the NFL.  I'm all for this.

Having said that, i still don't think additional picks should be awarded.  Because this type of development should be happening regardless....teams should be doing this despite the incentives.

But that's exactly the point. They should. They're not.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »
But that's exactly the point. They should. They're not.

I still think 2 basic things about this.

#1 - good teams develop quality coaches and turn them into viable candidates who then get poached. This means that the teams that already are good are now getting better by having additional draft capital. If you are a bad to middling team (like we have been since forever ago) who doesn't produce quality coaches we are not given less opportunities to acquire the talent necessary to help us improve as an organization and get better at developing not only players but coaches. Similar to the current comp pick system, teams that are good drafting teams are rewarded for letting players walk with more chances to replace them, while teams who aren't good at it, lose out on additional selections to help themselves improve. In all seriousness when's the last time we had someone hired as a HC from within the Jets organization by another team?

#2 - If there is a tie or near tie between candidates and an organization is looking for a way to separate candidates, this could push a team within a division to not hire a division rivals coach. For a sample scenario, let's pretend the Chargers fired Anthony Lynn this season (which I don't think will happen) and their top two candidates are Eric Bienemy and Arthur Smith, they are neck and neck and the Chargers feel confident in both and would be happy with either guy. Bringing in Bienemy gives the Chiefs an additional 3rd round pick, whereas Smith doesn't affect the Titans in any way. If there really is a near tie and both candidates are equally prepared for the job, I think that could work against hiring Bienemy in this case. Now if Bienemy is clearly the superior candidate and the Chargers have no qualms about him, they would absolutely hire him without thinking twice. But if they aren't sold for sure on one guy, I think some teams would use that as a tie breaker to not hire a coach from within their own division if it might benefit a team they are trying desperately to catch. 
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »
Is there anyone in 2020's NFL that is not going to hire who they think is the best coach because of their race?
Why are there so few black coaches then when most of the players are black?

Two 3rds seems like a lot for this but this will also help motivate teams to develop blaxk coaches.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »
The one loophole with this that worries me is internal candidates.

If the Bills don't hire Anthony Lynn but the Chargers do, do they now get extra picks? If Andy Reid retired, would the Chiefs hope another team poaches Bienemy for the picks?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #419 on: November 10, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »
The one loophole with this that worries me is internal candidates.

If the Bills don't hire Anthony Lynn but the Chargers do, do they now get extra picks? If Andy Reid retired, would the Chiefs hope another team poaches Bienemy for the picks?

I can't imagine any team valuing a pair of picks at the end of the third round enough to pass on their first choice head coach and take the second best guy.

Wait, no. The Johnsons. Never rule out any decision by the Johnsons, no matter how mindblowingly bad it might be.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: