Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66497 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #1020 on: February 01, 2024, 09:42:44 AM »
I also don't think Joe Flacco would have been an upgrade over Zach Wilson in our team last year. Our mess of an OL looks nothing like Cleveland's and Flacco playing statues behind it would have been disastrous.

Yep.  Our offensive line and it's 11 million injuries was the deal sealer for this team no matter who was at QB.  Even Rodgers would have struggled, albeit not as much.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #1021 on: February 01, 2024, 10:04:19 AM »
I also don't think Joe Flacco would have been an upgrade over Zach Wilson in our team last year. Our mess of an OL looks nothing like Cleveland's and Flacco playing statues behind it would have been disastrous.

I’m not accepting this as an excuse

Joe Douglas failed the minute we went into the 2023 season with that OL unit and a 37 year old QB

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1022 on: February 01, 2024, 10:08:21 AM »
I’m not accepting this as an excuse

Joe Douglas failed the minute we went into the 2023 season with that OL unit and a 37 year old QB

Sure, but he wasn't fixing it with an equally old and even less mobile replacement QB.

You shouldn't be wanting him fired because he didn't sign Flacco, you should be wanting him fired because he put us in a position where it needed to be considered.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1023 on: February 01, 2024, 10:08:22 AM »
Even if we got peak Browns Flacco it maybe would have been worth another win. And then we'd be bitching about draft position even more

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1024 on: February 01, 2024, 10:10:17 AM »
Even if we got peak Browns Flacco it maybe would have been worth another win. And then we'd be bitching about draft position even more

Probably true, but another 2 wins could have potentially gotten us into the playoffs

That would have changed the narrative on this season quite a bit

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1025 on: February 01, 2024, 10:11:52 AM »
Probably true, but another 2 wins could have potentially gotten us into the playoffs

That would have changed the narrative on this season quite a bit

It took 10 wins to get into the playoffs in the AFC so no it wouldn't have

Regardless, it's stupid to speculate. We saw Flacco here and he was bad because our offensive scheme and personnel have been overall bad.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1026 on: February 01, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »
Patriots week 3, Raiders, and Falcons all insanely winnable games

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1027 on: February 01, 2024, 10:15:51 AM »
Conversely, Flacco probably throws a bunch of picks and loses us the game in Denver, he likely doesn't play as well as Zach did against Houston, and he could easily have lost against the Giants because Thibodeaux would have destroyed him. The assumption that Flacco wins all the games that Zach did plus some of the ones he didn't is a massive stretch.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1028 on: February 01, 2024, 10:23:17 AM »
It’s not a massive stretch, Zach was one of the worst QBs in the NFL

We had a defense that kept us in almost every game. Anything closer to League average QB play and it’s certainly arguable that we win more games

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1029 on: February 01, 2024, 10:24:54 AM »
The “OL was too bad” point has already been covered.  By me probably more than anyone here. This conversation is about whether the GM did an acceptable job, not how good or bad Joe Flacco would have been.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1030 on: February 01, 2024, 10:26:33 AM »
Conversely, Flacco probably throws a bunch of picks and loses us the game in Denver, he likely doesn't play as well as Zach did against Houston, and he could easily have lost against the Giants because Thibodeaux would have destroyed him. The assumption that Flacco wins all the games that Zach did plus some of the ones he didn't is a massive stretch.

So Joe Flacco would've been a better Tank Commander?
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1031 on: February 01, 2024, 10:27:46 AM »
The “OL was too bad” point has already been covered.  By me probably more than anyone here. This conversation is about whether the GM did an acceptable job, not how good or bad Joe Flacco would have been.

With the amount of injuries we had on the line, I'm not sure anyone could have done enough to cover up for that.  You could argue that our depth was not high enough quality, but damn near everyone died at RG.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1032 on: February 01, 2024, 10:28:00 AM »
I wanted Zach to succeed this season (I am a Zach fan)

He was benched by week 11 for Tim freaking Boyle

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1033 on: February 01, 2024, 10:29:05 AM »
So Joe Flacco would've been a better Tank Commander?

Maybe. Maybe he'd have won the same number of games as Zach. Maybe he'd have won games Zach lost and lost games Zach won. Most likely he'd have been destroyed and done for the season by week 6. It's impossible to know for sure, but the one thing I am very sure of is that he wouldn't have solved any of the actual problems with the team.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1034 on: February 01, 2024, 10:29:06 AM »
With the amount of injuries we had on the line, I'm not sure anyone could have done enough to cover up for that.  You could argue that our depth was not high enough quality, but damn near everyone died at RG.

We went into the season with Duane Brown and Billy Turner as our starting OTs

We deserved everything that happened this season

Tags: