Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66471 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #885 on: November 27, 2023, 10:13:24 PM »
Like what?

Those are just a few things. So I'll flip it to you. What are the "plenty of adjustments" Saleh's made that you claimed?

OK, for the sake of conversation, this is a list of adjustments I've seen the offense make throughout the year.  I'm not including offensive line permutations.  Nitpick as you see fit.

1. Working Xavier Gipson into the game (One snap for Gip in the first three weeks, 38 over the next three, >58% the last four weeks).

2. Dumping the Dalvin Cook Experiment after week 4.  (<20% of snaps from week 5 to week 10).

3. Focusing more heavily on Garrett Wilson (One game with double-digit targets in the first five games, one game with single-digit targets in the last six).

4. I got the sense that Zach started making more and more pre-snap adjustments after the first three weeks.

5. I forget the game, but we came out running a hurry-up offense in one game.  It's something that a lot of people have crowed about because Zach does well in the two-minute drill.  It was minimally effective.

6. Cutting Michael Carter.

7. Demoting CJ Uzomah (queynte played three snaps in week 12 and still managed a false start.  Unreal).

8. Benching Zach Wilson.

9. Moving Hackett up to the box.

10. Benching Allen Lazard for Jason Brownlee. 

These are offensive moves I think were made at the head coach level.  A lot of things I wanted to see happen have happened.  Nothing has helped.  I think one of the last available options is to change the playcaller.  I think a subordinate will get the plays called in faster, because Hackett seems to waste ten seconds shaking a magic 8 ball every play.  The plays themselves will still be vanilla excrement but at least they'll come in on time.   

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #886 on: November 27, 2023, 10:17:54 PM »
Damn, shoulda ran the Win play last week
The Annexation of Puerto Rico

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #887 on: November 28, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »
OK, for the sake of conversation, this is a list of adjustments I've seen the offense make throughout the year.  I'm not including offensive line permutations.  Nitpick as you see fit.

1. Working Xavier Gipson into the game (One snap for Gip in the first three weeks, 38 over the next three, >58% the last four weeks).

2. Dumping the Dalvin Cook Experiment after week 4.  (<20% of snaps from week 5 to week 10).

3. Focusing more heavily on Garrett Wilson (One game with double-digit targets in the first five games, one game with single-digit targets in the last six).

4. I got the sense that Zach started making more and more pre-snap adjustments after the first three weeks.

5. I forget the game, but we came out running a hurry-up offense in one game.  It's something that a lot of people have crowed about because Zach does well in the two-minute drill.  It was minimally effective.

6. Cutting Michael Carter.

7. Demoting CJ Uzomah (queynte played three snaps in week 12 and still managed a false start.  Unreal).

8. Benching Zach Wilson.

9. Moving Hackett up to the box.

10. Benching Allen Lazard for Jason Brownlee. 

These are offensive moves I think were made at the head coach level.  A lot of things I wanted to see happen have happened.  Nothing has helped.  I think one of the last available options is to change the playcaller.  I think a subordinate will get the plays called in faster, because Hackett seems to waste ten seconds shaking a magic 8 ball every play.  The plays themselves will still be vanilla excrement but at least they'll come in on time.   

FTR, I was just calling out SFD because he was pinging me.

I'll give you the benching, and maybe even pushing Hackett upstairs (though that and benching Zach were likely more to do with being sick of hearing the media and fans bark about inconsequential moves). The rest I don't see as anything Saleh's had a hand in and none of the above is that big a deal.

Honestly, I don't know how much Saleh can do. I do think he should insist Hackett stick with things when they're working, and demand he get more creative, even if it means getting ideas from other staff members or even players. You can't tell me he takes advice well when you have Rodgers on the sidelines rolling his eyes.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #888 on: November 28, 2023, 08:22:55 AM »
Ok what is the move everyone wanted to see?

Witchcraft

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #890 on: December 04, 2023, 10:30:38 PM »
Plot twist:  after watching this excrement and listening to the playcalls, Rodgers asks Woody to fire Hackett.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #892 on: December 05, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »
https://x.com/playlikeajet1/status/1731880508861087937?s=42&t=oQHlTr9_OCVIYXOt5gHlYQ

Great draft pick

What's interesting about that is Geno wasn't going to play until Sanchez got hurt in the preseason because Rex was an idiot
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #893 on: December 06, 2023, 02:02:23 PM »
What's interesting about that is Geno wasn't going to play until Sanchez got hurt in the preseason because Rex was an idiot
I still believe Rex was given a mandate to have a real competition and play Geno with the starters.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #894 on: December 06, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »
I still believe Rex was given a mandate to have a real competition and play Geno with the starters.
Biggest what-if in recent Jets history is what if Geno plays well after his strong 2015 camp and has a similar year to what Fitz had.

Or if Geno continued his reportedly strong 2016 camp and they didn't bother signing Fitz to that 1-year deal.

Geno isn't great, but he's better than any QB we've had since Fitz's one good year in 2015. Geno probably would have had success with Marshall and Decker and Quincy, too.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #895 on: December 06, 2023, 02:30:32 PM »
Biggest what-if in recent Jets history is what if Geno plays well after his strong 2015 camp and has a similar year to what Fitz had.

Or if Geno continued his reportedly strong 2016 camp and they didn't bother signing Fitz to that 1-year deal.

Geno isn't great, but he's better than any QB we've had since Fitz's one good year in 2015. Geno probably would have had success with Marshall and Decker and Quincy, too.

I don't think so.  I think he needed to float around the league and learn before he was going to be successful.  I wouldn't be shocked if Sam Darnold has the same career trajectory.  Jets fans will then chime in with "WE NEVER SHUDDA MOVED ON FROM HIM," misunderstanding that the moving on is an integral element of the eventual success. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #896 on: December 06, 2023, 02:42:04 PM »
Geno got his jaw broken by one of his teammates and the locker room thought he deserved it. He wasn’t going to be successful here.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #897 on: December 06, 2023, 02:58:50 PM »
Geno got his jaw broken by one of his teammates and the locker room thought he deserved it. He wasn’t going to be successful here.

Enemkpali truther
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #898 on: December 06, 2023, 03:32:39 PM »
I don't think so.  I think he needed to float around the league and learn before he was going to be successful.  I wouldn't be shocked if Sam Darnold has the same career trajectory.  Jets fans will then chime in with "WE NEVER SHUDDA MOVED ON FROM HIM," misunderstanding that the moving on is an integral element of the eventual success. 

You’re likely right, but Geno is still the best QB we’ve drafted out of all our recent top QB picks. Sanchez, Darnold, Wilson.

Also we moved on from Geno for… Josh McCown? He didn’t get a real shot here.

Don’t forget the perfect game. #NeverForget

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #899 on: December 06, 2023, 11:13:05 PM »
freak Geno Smith
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: