Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66452 times)

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #825 on: November 26, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
Douglas drafts BPA every year.  If WMD was at the top of their draft board, then he was the pick all along (once the OL run started).  Maybe Rex Hogan is the problem.
Well it's seemed to work out so well

For defense

Good thing he tied the offenses fate to 3 guys coming off injury on OL . 1 pushing 40, 1 proven to be innury prone and 1 who is now interior version of Becton

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #826 on: November 26, 2023, 11:09:43 AM »
Douglas drafts BPA every year.  If WMD was at the top of their draft board, then he was the pick all along (once the OL run started).  Maybe Rex Hogan is the problem.
Yeah the story is it was WMD , Mayer , and Broderick Jones

In that case you can laugh at JD for blinking first for a QB the Packers didn't want and we were bidding against ourselves

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #827 on: November 26, 2023, 11:13:10 AM »
I don't think you can really draft for need very often, and if WMD is a stud edge rusher, he's a good pick.

The failures were how they built the offense with our other assets. And potentially how they evaluated Huff.

In retrospect, yes, JSN/Addison would have helped the Jets out more this year. But WMD could still help us out more long-term.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #828 on: November 26, 2023, 11:16:47 AM »
I don't think you can really draft for need very often, and if WMD is a stud edge rusher, he's a good pick.

The failures were how they built the offense with our other assets. And potentially how they evaluated Huff.

In retrospect, yes, JSN/Addison would have helped the Jets out more this year. But WMD could still help us out more long-term.
My issue is not evaluating Huff properly hence you're spending a premium pick on the position with most depth on a roster witb a historically bad offense.

But again like I said I think WMD has a Aldon Smith type ceiling so it's hard to completely clown him

But then you look at the offense and it's hard to defend lol

The real issue was doing the pick swap with GB imo

We literally negotiated against ourselves and if Jones was Here we'd have someone else on the field than Max Mitchell who had no business being paid to play football .

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #829 on: November 26, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »
Imagine if Douglas drafted Mayer.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #830 on: November 26, 2023, 11:28:41 AM »
Imagine if Douglas drafted Mayer.
Let me be clear rofl I wasn't implying I'd draft Mayer over WMD

But Broderick Jones. Yes hahaahah

I love WMD so im not trying to make it sound like he's a bum but there is a case to be made why we forced ourself into that draft slot .

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #831 on: November 26, 2023, 11:36:20 AM »

Coming into the draft, we had Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman - all of whom were reasonably expected to have meaningful roles - so I can't beat us up too much for not going WR in the 1st. I wouldn't have complained if we did though. We didn't have multiple stars but it looked like solid depth.

Then Davis retired, Hardman was inexplicably underutilized, and Lazard proceeded to have what's likely going to be the worst year of his career.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #832 on: November 26, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »

Coming into the draft, we had Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman - all of whom were reasonably expected to have meaningful roles - so I can't beat us up too much for not going WR in the 1st. I wouldn't have complained if we did though. We didn't have multiple stars but it looked like solid depth.

Then Davis retired, Hardman was inexplicably underutilized, and Lazard proceeded to have what's likely going to be the worst year of his career.
Salehs comments tell me this dude got paid and gave up (Lazard)

bundle of sticks derriere playing soccer during practice

Infuriating lol

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #833 on: November 26, 2023, 11:38:22 AM »
Salehs comments tell me this dude got paid and gave up (Lazard)

bundle of sticks derriere playing soccer during practice

Infuriating lol
Need Aaron at practice berating Lazard Whiplash-style.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #834 on: November 26, 2023, 11:40:59 AM »
Need Aaron at practice berating Lazard Whiplash-style.
I told one of my friends that's the only explanation why he was actually decent in GB .

Rodgers was in his derriere lol

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #835 on: November 26, 2023, 01:12:22 PM »
I'm a fsu fan I was mad they didn't give JJ wnligj snaps last yr . Jj is a beast this yr

Nobody ever bashed drafting JJ lol

I've made it clear I like WMD. But when you go all in on Rodgers with a limited window this is what you get

And letting Huff walk will make him look dumber because you had your WMD on the roster already lol

That's my point .

Last year we only thought Huff was a situational pass rusher.  This year he proved he can do enough to be a full time edge rusher.  He had 3.5 sacks last year, admittedly in limited snaps, but he hadn't proven himself as an elite rusher until he got the snaps to do so this year.  We can't say we already had our "WMD" because we didn't know if Huff could do anything besides rush on 3rd down.

Nothing matters except whether WMD develops into a good player.  If he does, it's a great pick.  If he doesn't, it's bad.  I don't care if he plays a starting role this year, he's practicing for his 2nd year like JJ.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:14:51 PM by bojanglesman »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #836 on: November 26, 2023, 01:26:41 PM »

And the Jets did zero (0) to help out their receiving corps once Davis retired and once it appeared Hardman couldn't play here.

I thought Lazard was basically a slightly worse version of Davis with better health. Wish that were the case.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #837 on: November 26, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
Last year we only thought Huff was a situational pass rusher.  This year he proved he can do enough to be a full time edge rusher.  He had 3.5 sacks last year, admittedly in limited snaps, but he hadn't proven himself as an elite rusher until he got the snaps to do so this year.  We can't say we already had our "WMD" because we didn't know if Huff could do anything besides rush on 3rd down.

Nothing matters except whether WMD develops into a good player.  If he does, it's a great pick.  If he doesn't, it's bad.  I don't care if he plays a starting role this year, he's practicing for his 2nd year like JJ.
When you see the kid every day in practice and run a 9 man rotation and limit his snaps intentionally it's bad business in evaluation when you don't even give yourself the chance to see him in live games.

We were deep even minus huff and paying JFM. No matter which way you cut it WMD was a luxury pick .

So yes I hope he reaches the ceiling I think he has but when Huff walks and becomes objectively elite it's a bad look when your goal next season is gutting a few key players on D to salvage the god awful job you did with offense

We likely lose Huff and JFM for cap reasons . So yeah, you can have the squirrel stashing nuts for winter argument, but like I said, the real crime was budging on the Rodgers trade capital

They can spin it however they want, but I simply don't believe Jones wouldn't have been the pick.had they not done the pick swap with GB in rd 1

It's all a moot point. I like the player, so im not gonna knock the kid

But ultimately, for someone who was a supposed OL guru, JD has arguably done his worst job with the OL.

My gripe is more asset mismanagement and OL neglect.  WMD just happens to be at the center of that discussion .

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #838 on: November 26, 2023, 01:41:54 PM »
The real question is whether you can blame a GM for player injuries.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #839 on: November 26, 2023, 01:44:19 PM »
The real question is whether you can blame a GM for player injuries.
You can blame him for anchoring the OL with a nearly 40 yr old OL coming off a season ender

BECTON was clearly proven to be injury prone by last offseason .

AVT we thought it was an anomaly.  Nope he's just interior Becton .

That's 2 out of 3 starters where we just put too many eggs in the basket .

Rodgers snapped his Achilles slipping on the yolk of said basket . If he didn't get injured week 1 he mos def wouldve been injured by now.

So yeah JD needs to eat some crow for the OL. Undoubtedly

Tags: